Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
fartang
fartang began at the beginning.

Device: none
streaming Calibre library?

I was wondering if there is a way that the content of Calibre library be "streamed" to an iPad?

I mean an app like VLC streamer on iPad that can connect to Calibre server on PC (running windows 7) so that I can view on iPad the books in Calibre library on PC without saving them to iPad?

Thanks
fartang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
whodean
whodean began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Look at using Calibre2OPDS with a web server or a service like Dropbox.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64095
whodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre includes a content server that does just that.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Streaming ebooks was discussed in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125588
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think what is being asked about is a browser based epub reader rather than downloading via the content server onto the local device.

However what the advantages are I am not really sure as the reader is still going to have to download most of the book anyway before it can show the results. I think some people envisage this as giving the same sort of advantages as streaming video or music where you can start as soon as you get the first part, but this does not really apply to an ebook which has a more complicated internal strucutre.

The only time I could see it being of real use is if there was a server-side reader that knew how to deliver pages to a remote browser on demand. I guess that is technically possible, but not something I have seen myself.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Actually, a streaming reader (that delivers only the currently needed part of the book) is fairly easy to implement and is in fact on my TODO list for the calibre content server.

For formats that have the text split up in multiple flows, like EPUB, this can "stream" chunks of the text, and for formats that dont, like MOBI, it can still at least stream images separately.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote