Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
Just bought an M92

Just plumped down the money for an M92 to EREADER-STORE.DE.

The thing is backordered, and not sure how long it will take to reach the Boston, Massachusetts area.

I look forward to it ... with some fear. It may be just the thing for these scientific PDFs I am starting to read a lot of.

The deed is done. No looking back now!

Glenn
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Dublee
Dublee began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS TF300, iPad 1, Nook Tablet (CM7), Nook ST, Onyx M92
I ordered a M92 on 10/7/2012 also from ereader-store.de. Although the site said it was backordered, it shipped the next day. It cleared customs today and so I hope to have it on Monday or Tuesday.
Dublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
I'm pretty happy with mine now, but I'll save you some aggravation with the following advice - where possible convert your pdfs to DjVu. This thing is infinitely better at handling DjVu files than it is at PDFs. Many PDFs are flawless, but this thing struggles with many standard pdfs (all of the Archive.org and Gutenburg PDFs seem to have issues.) I have yet to have a problem with a DjVu file.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
Buecherwurm92
Buecherwurm92 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
My experience is also that DjVu is handled very nicely. But do you know a good PDF->DJVU converter? There's pdf2djvu, but I have yet to figure out how to install it on my Mac. It works reasonably well on Linux (unless you have to deal with low-resolution images), but I am not wiling to start up a Linux VM just for DJVU conversion. There's also the any-to-djvu Web service which worked fine a few years ago but seems to be seriously broken now.
Buecherwurm92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
I'm pretty happy with mine now, but I'll save you some aggravation with the following advice - where possible convert your pdfs to DjVu. This thing is infinitely better at handling DjVu files than it is at PDFs. Many PDFs are flawless, but this thing struggles with many standard pdfs (all of the Archive.org and Gutenburg PDFs seem to have issues.) I have yet to have a problem with a DjVu file.
Are you able to annotate djvus ?
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
Are you able to annotate djvus ?
I will be interested to hear about this. I played around with PDF->DJVU conversion on my netbook last night. When I loaded the results into Okular, I was able to annotate, etc. normally (which I suppose means nothing re: the M92, but as far as the Okular program was concerned it might have been the same file as the PDF, only considerably more lightweight).

/G
Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
chexmix
Zealot

M92 still on backorder. =^(

The impatient side of me, which I try to squelch as best I can, is half wishing I'd just bought a tablet and been done with it.

I hope I did the right thing, but as I said in the first post, no looking back.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Dublee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
M92 still on backorder. =^(

The impatient side of me, which I try to squelch as best I can, is half wishing I'd just bought a tablet and been done with it.

I hope I did the right thing, but as I said in the first post, no looking back.
I ordered mine on 11/7, shipped out of Germany on 11/8 and received it this past Monday on 11/15 in California. I was impatient too!

So far, the M92 has worked well. As noted by others, there is room for improvement, but for pure reading of PDF/ePub technical books, it works.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublee View Post
I ordered mine on 11/7, shipped out of Germany on 11/8 and received it this past Monday on 11/15 in California. I was impatient too!

So far, the M92 has worked well. As noted by others, there is room for improvement, but for pure reading of PDF/ePub technical books, it works.
Looks like we have a time traveller here

@chexmix: Don't be worry, your order will be shipped within of 3-4 days for sure.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
chexmix
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post

@chexmix: Don't be worry, your order will be shipped within of 3-4 days for sure.
Great to know -- thanks!
Old 10-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Dublee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Looks like we have a time traveller here
Ha, indeed! I meant October, not November.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
chexmix
Zealot

I am headed to a conference November 4 - 8. I hope my M92 arrives before then -- it'd be a great time to play! :^)
Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chexmix View Post
I am headed to a conference November 4 - 8. I hope my M92 arrives before then -- it'd be a great time to play! :^)
Hi,

Your order will be shipped tomorrow. I hope it will arrive in U.S. soon
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
chexmix
Zealot

Booxtor,

I just saw the email. Hooray!! @_@ I so look forward to it.

Cheers,

Glenn
Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
chexmix
Zealot

I've been tracking my M92's progress towards me. It's fun and maddening.