Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #16
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
I've converted literally hundreds of mobis to epub and ironically for the very first time today I've had a hang/whatever. I came in here to post about it.

After upgrading to the latest version of Calibre today, I downloaded a few free books from Amazon, including Separate Truth by Michael McManus. The latter just would not finish converting. If I double clicked on the book in Calibre (still only showing format as mobi) it opened in the epub viewer, so it HAD converted, it just wasn't being finalised. Anyway, I tried several times with fresh downloads etc. and eventually it converted in a few seconds as though nothing had ever been amiss.

Go figure.
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #17
Al Adams
eBook Reader Nut
Al Adams began at the beginning.

Device: NookSimple Touch & 5 Android Tablet(s), & Personal Computer...
I was trying to convert a 520 KB azw3 to ePub - that ran 11 Hours ...

I was trying to convert a 520 KB azw3 to ePub - that ran 11 Hours 4 Minutes 13 Seconds which I left running overnight to test if it would ever finish, at 1% done of converting the html input - I decided to cancel it at the 11 Hours time.
My fix was to go to Heuristic processing & uncheck the Enable heuristic processing from the (Common options from Preferences) the 520 KB azw3 to ePub took only took 30 Seconds. As an option when this happens in the future I will disable the Heuristic processing & uncheck the Enable heuristic processing - after checking the finished conversion - it looked fine !!!
Al Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2022, 05:08 AM   #18
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Adams View Post
My fix was to go to Heuristic processing & uncheck the Enable heuristic processing from the (Common options from Preferences) the 520 KB azw3 to ePub took only took 30 Seconds. As an option when this happens in the future I will disable the Heuristic processing & uncheck the Enable heuristic processing - after checking the finished conversion - it looked fine !!!
Although disabling heuristic processing certainly helps (it can get itself in a knot, as you found out), I suggest using the KindleUnpack plugin to go from AZW3 to EPUB. An AZW3 is pretty much an EPUB in Amazon wrappings, and the plugin will pull out the EPUB much faster than a conversion.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:01 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Although disabling heuristic processing certainly helps (it can get itself in a knot, as you found out), I suggest using the KindleUnpack plugin to go from AZW3 to EPUB. An AZW3 is pretty much an EPUB in Amazon wrappings, and the plugin will pull out the EPUB much faster than a conversion.
After that is done, you do have to load the resulting ePub in the editor to fix the errors and there will be some. Use the editor's error checker and epuibcheck (editor plugin) to check for errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote