Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Stodder
Connoisseur
Stodder began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle
Is "dc:rights" a valid entry in an OPF file for Kindlegen?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if "dc:rights" is a supported or unsupported value for an OPF file that can be turned into a mobi via Kindlegen?

Cheers,
Stodder
Stodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:56 AM   #2
Stodder
Connoisseur

Hmm, found this link: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%2...ype=tagsDetail

In it, someone says KindleGen ignores the dc:rights tag. So I guess the answer is currently negative.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Hmmm, it appears that having this

Code:
<dc:rights>Copyright &#x00A9; 2006 by Christine Amsden. All rights reserved.</dc:rights>
in the epub's OPF file leads to this

Code:
<dc:Rights>Copyright © 2006 by Christine Amsden. All rights reserved.</dc:Rights>
in the mobi's OPF file after conversion by kindlegen, and unpacking with mobiunpack.py.

Is that what you were after?
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Stodder
Connoisseur

So the "dc:rights" element does work in Kindlegen?
I thought KindleGen and Kindle/Amazon would just ignore it.

Will it produce a glitch in the ebook when viewed on a Kindle?

I'm wary about doing it, in case I get an error from it.

Last edited by Stodder; 06-06-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stodder View Post
So the "dc:rights" element does work in Kindlegen?
I thought KindleGen and Kindle/Amazon would just ignore it.

Will it produce a glitch in the ebook when viewed on a Kindle?

I'm wary about doing it, in case I get an error from it.
Apparently it can be in the .opf file, even though it may be ignored by reader software. It won't produce a glitch on a Kindle, as far as my experience goes, but probably only Amazon / Mobipocket knows what use (if any) it is put to. There should be a copyright page in the frontmatter of the book anyway.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Stodder
Connoisseur

Thanks for clearing that upp