Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The Passage by Justin Cronin

I loved The Passage.

It's a huge epic multi-year, multi-generational Vampire story. In fact this is the first book in a trilogy (according to the interview I heard with the author on National Public Radio). It has a larger scope than The Stand (my favorite book) but the same rag tag group of human survivors trying not to become extinct. It differs in that it's not a good vs. evil story. It's a "we did this and now we have to fix it" story.

I didn't want it to end and I can't wait for the next installment!

From Amazon (at the link above)

Quote:
You don't have to be a fan of vampire fiction to be enthralled by The Passage, Justin Cronin's blazing new novel. Cronin is a remarkable storyteller (just ask adoring fans of his award-winning Mary and O'Neil), whose gorgeous writing brings depth and vitality to this ambitious epic about a virus that nearly destroys the world, and a six-year-old girl who holds the key to bringing it back. The Passage takes readers on a journey from the early days of the virus to the aftermath of the destruction, where packs of hungry infected scour the razed, charred cities looking for food, and the survivors eke out a bleak, brutal existence shadowed by fear. Cronin doesn't shy away from identifying his "virals" as vampires. But, these are not sexy, angsty vampires (you won’t be seeing "Team Babcock" t-shirts any time soon), and they are not old-school, evil Nosferatus, either. These are a creation all Cronin's own--hairless, insectile, glow-in-the-dark mutations who are inextricably linked to their makers and the one girl who could destroy them all. A huge departure from Cronin's first two novels, The Passage is a grand mashup of literary and supernatural, a stunning beginning to a trilogy that is sure to dazzle readers of both genres. --Daphne Durham
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
It's on my TBR list.. As soon as I finish the other 5 books I'm currently reading...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I started reading it a couple of days ago. I only read about a 100 pages but liked it so much that I decided not to take my notebook with me whilst housesitting this weekend so I can spend my time reading.

Earlier this week I was in a bookstore and saw the novel and I must say I'm glad I got it as an ebook!
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
It's on my TBR list as well. Sounds like a good a read.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm about 100 pages from the end, and really enjoying it. I've written about vampires myself, and researched them ad nauseam (there are vampire-type myths the world over), and I've often wondered, hm... if the mythology is actually based on something real--some real creature--what would it be? Cronin answers that question brilliantly. He takes the not-so-new idea that a virus causes vampirism and gives it such a credibly treatment that you can almost believe these things really exist.

The first third is spectacular storytelling, really pacy and gripping. The middle third needed the hand of a good editor; it's longer and slower than it needs to be. (In fact, it truly reads as if it was written by two or more different authors. I'm not saying it was; it just reads that way.) Stick with it, though, because it picks up again.

There are some inconsistencies and things that just don't make sense, but I've been able to set those aside, which means he must be doing something right.

And by the way, I do want a Team Babcock T-shirt.
Patricia Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Whenever I come across the name "Babcock" now, I pause.

I'm Team Amy!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
Michelle James
Michelle James began at the beginning.

Device: none
Just finished it - 3 days. Awesome awsome awesome. This is Stephen King's the Stand 30 years improved.
Justin Cronin our next best seller, fabulous story teller and a tremendous epic tale. Please stay with this genre - you are fabulous. Thrilled that you have left the door open, I think the wait for a sequel will be a match for Robert Jordans final chapter!
Will be picking up your second novel as this looks like it might be nearly on par (though not the genre).
I'm hooked and happy to help make you a millionaire!
Michelle James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I finished the passage around a month ago. Great book, I really enjoyed it. I hope the next one isn't too far down the road.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
The Passage finally got to the top of TBR list. I enjoyed it but agree with Patricia that it definitely drags through the middle. It does pick up again and the ending was good. Good writing with well developed characters and some deeper themes and ideas brought up. Compared to your average vampire novel this is definitely a cut above. Compared to the trash that has been passing for vampire novels lately this is in a league of its own.

However, whilst I am looking forward to reading more, honestly though, overall it didn't do enough to make me rush out and buy the next installment the day it is released.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
I'm looking forward to reading 'The Passage'.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I was really interested in reading it...until I'm hearing you all talk about it involving vampires...
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #12
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Vampire stories can be cool, just as long as they aren't the Twilight type, they ruined vampires for everyone.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Vampire stories can be cool, just as long as they aren't the Twilight type, they ruined vampires for everyone.
I completely agree. I've read the books, which weren't terrible but I hated the movies adaptations. Now 'The Strain' and 'The Fall' by Guillermo del Toro are excellent vampire books. The vampires depicted in those books are what vampires should be.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
I am 70% done, 30% remains. This amazon topper book is so exciting!
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #15
David71
Enthusiast
David71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I just finished it a couple of days ago and thought it was really good. I agree with those who thought the middle dragged just a bit, but not enough to hurt the story much. I am certainly looking forward to the next book.
David71 is offline   Reply With Quote