Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
123Go
123Go began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindly requesting an example of an epub with embedded fonts that do not get stripped

Hello everyone. First of all, thank you for this majestic repository of ebook knowledge. I can say that I've learned quite a bit on these forums.
However, I'm searching for something that for some reason I've yet to find. Either it's not to be found, or I am not as good of a digital digger as I like to think.
Specifically, I am searching for an example of an epub file with embedded fonts that when uploaded to KDP, does not have the embedded fonts stripped.
Right now, the book that I'm working on works perfectly when converted with
kindle previewer, but for some reason, when uploading to KDP, the custom font that I use occasionally in the book disappears; It is stripped by the process, and the standard font takes its place. (makes no difference whether I upload the epub or the kindle previewer's mobi)...I would avoid such hassle and go with a standard font, if not for the fact that this font contains a special character that is crucial.
Looking around at all the posts, I'm sure that there's something wrong in the underlying code.
I'm using calibre to convert from htm to epub and embed the font family at the same time, so if someone more seasoned than I could use calibre to compile an epub with embedded fonts through this process, and then reveal the magic steps by which to make the result workable in KDP, I'd be much obliged, as I am sure many others who work through the same process would.
It doesn't need to be anything complicated...even the simplest two font epub would do.
It would at least get me started on finding a solution to this dreaded, time-consuming conundrum.
Thank you!
123Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Go View Post
Hello everyone. First of all, thank you for this majestic repository of ebook knowledge. I can say that I've learned quite a bit on these forums.
However, I'm searching for something that for some reason I've yet to find. Either it's not to be found, or I am not as good of a digital digger as I like to think.
I think you are not quite digging enough. You asked me to take a look at this thread, for you, but this has been discussed to DEATH in another thread, here on MR. if you didn't find at least a clue there, you're skimming that thread, or haven't read it at all. It's entitled something like "Months and months of runaround at KDP," or something along those lines. In fact, here's a link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=218255

Quote:
Specifically, I am searching for an example of an epub file with embedded fonts that when uploaded to KDP, does not have the embedded fonts stripped.
Right now, the book that I'm working on works perfectly when converted with
kindle previewer, but for some reason, when uploading to KDP, the custom font that I use occasionally in the book disappears; It is stripped by the process, and the standard font takes its place. (makes no difference whether I upload the epub or the kindle previewer's mobi)...I would avoid such hassle and go with a standard font, if not for the fact that this font contains a special character that is crucial.
Looking around at all the posts, I'm sure that there's something wrong in the underlying code.
I'm using calibre to convert from htm to epub and embed the font family at the same time, so if someone more seasoned than I could use calibre to compile an epub with embedded fonts through this process, and then reveal the magic steps by which to make the result workable in KDP, I'd be much obliged, as I am sure many others who work through the same process would.
It doesn't need to be anything complicated...even the simplest two font epub would do.
It would at least get me started on finding a solution to this dreaded, time-consuming conundrum.
Thank you!
Well....I can't know if your Calibre creation is part of the issue or not, as I don't use Calibre for MOBI-making. Or to create an ePUB, either. Do you know if the fonts are in the MOBI when you build it from the ePUB via KG or KP? Without knowing that, nobody here can start to help you. Most likely, it's nothing more complex than, you used OTF fonts, rather than TTF, or you're using something like Papyrus, which makes KDP barf. Less likely: garbage-y coding issue, in which you have one style set for, say, the main H3 and a conflicting style set for an H3.xxx.

Use one of Jellby's--Jellby, if you see this, does Pauper build to mobi from ePUB?

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Use one of Jellby's--Jellby, if you see this, does Pauper build to mobi from ePUB?
I can't tell, I have never tried. When I have both epub and mobi versions, they are created from different sources (same text, but one formatted as XHTML+CSS for epub, the other in pseudo-HTML for mobi), and the final mobi was created with MobiPerl (and old-style mobi, with no embedded fonts).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I can't tell, I have never tried. When I have both epub and mobi versions, they are created from different sources (same text, but one formatted as XHTML+CSS for epub, the other in pseudo-HTML for mobi), and the final mobi was created with MobiPerl (and old-style mobi, with no embedded fonts).
Ah. But IIRC, P&P has embedded font, right? I mean...your XHTML is solid, so the OP could use it to try to build it for KDP.

Until the OP responds, about whether or not his initial, KG-type build is including the font, I can't really help him. I need to know--at least to start to guess--whether or not the build itself is flawed, or whether the fonts are being stripped at KDP, due to other issues.

Hitch
Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ah. But IIRC, P&P has embedded font, right?
Yes, it has a couple of fonts for titles and drop caps.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, it has a couple of fonts for titles and drop caps.
Well, there ya go. At least it's a known starting place, for the purpose of discussion. Trying to start from air is a bit tough. ;-)

Hitch

Tags
conversion, epub, fonts, mobi