Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #331
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Hrm - can I think of 10 bad books?

1 - Lord of the Rings. I did actually scream in frustration when Gandalf came back after apparently dying.
Gandalf did die. Its part of the christian imagery in the book; each of the christ figures in the book (Gandalf, Frodo and Aragorn) wins a victory over death...

Sigh, anyway, I quite like the Lord of the Rings, but to each their own.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #332
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Gandalf did die. Its part of the christian imagery in the book; each of the christ figures in the book (Gandalf, Frodo and Aragorn) wins a victory over death...

Sigh, anyway, I quite like the Lord of the Rings, but to each their own.

--
Bill
Dang. Never saw that. Kinda puts the series in a new light....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM   #333
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Hmmm .... well, I know I'm going to get in all sorts of trouble for this, however, my top two worst books, based on body count alone, would have to be The Bible and The Koran. And, yes, I've read them both.

So shoot me.
Actually by those standards, the Communist Manifesto might have them both beaten. The Body count that the communism racked up in the 20th century (Between Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and others) probably approaches 100 million. It is very hard to get either Christianity or Islam anywhere near that figure without casting a very broad net (i.e., blaming everything done by anyone connected in any way to one of those religions on the religions).

--
Bill
Old 12-09-2008, 09:29 PM   #334
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Dang. Never saw that. Kinda puts the series in a new light....
Oh yeah, though not as obvious as C.S. Lewis's Narnia, Tolkien definitely built his Christian ideas into the story.

Aragorn is Christ the King, returned to rule justly.
Gandalf is Christ the Prophet, who warns and encourages the faithful.
Frodo is Christ the Sacrifice who saves mankind through offering his own life so that the people of Middle Earth might live free.

Gandalf is also essentially an angel (though you need to read additional materials to learn that).

I could go on and on... but I won't .

--
Bill
Old 12-10-2008, 02:18 AM   #335
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Hmmm .... well, I know I'm going to get in all sorts of trouble for this, however, my top two worst books, based on body count alone, would have to be The Bible and The Koran. And, yes, I've read them both.

So shoot me.
I was going to shoot you. Then I saw the Guinea Pirate and was overwelmed by the cuteness. You live for one more day.

Quote:
Yep ... and if that's all any one of those three books said, I doubt I'd have a problem with any of them. But, seriously, I don't think any of the three are all that well written either. I realize that is a wholly personal opinion, but, as such, I'll stand by it.
You know, all three were primarily written to provide information and teach lessons, not win awards.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #336
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I treasure the bible for the good things it teaches us.....mainly the 10 commandments.
[Possible ignition of flamewar on]
Wow... really?

I would probably go for some of the more loving commandments of the new testament like "love thy neighbour" instead. I have difficulty understanding why people would choose justice instead of compassion. Judgement instead of forgiveness.

Can't really see how the christian message corresponds with the old testament and it's vengeful god.

But maybe that's just me.
[flaming off]

On topic:

I thoroughly hated Pillars of the earth by Follett. I thought the setbacks would never end. And I have trouble with antagonists being described not just as evil, but evil incarnate. It's not enough that the antagonist rapes and pillages, we have to read about how his favourite hobby is torturing cats etc.

Black vs. white is seldom interesting literature imo.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:24 AM   #337
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
I thoroughly hated Pillars of the earth by Follett.
Wow - that's one of my all-time favourite books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #338
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wow - that's one of my all-time favourite books.
Harry, can you comment on the accusation that the antagonist is unrealistically evil? Would you disagree or did it not bother you? I'm curious because I have this book "in the queue" on my Reader.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #339
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Harry, can you comment on the accusation that the antagonist is unrealistically evil? Would you disagree or did it not bother you? I'm curious because I have this book "in the queue" on my Reader.
He's not going to win any "Mr. Nice Guy" awards, but "unrealistically evil"? No - he certainly didn't come across that way to me. I found it to be an utterly absorbing book; one of the few that I "couldn't put down".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #340
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Comme dirait un plombier " L'égoût ça se discute pas".
Wow, 11 pages later and nobody has laughed yet? Sorry yvan, but *I* liked your joke...
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #341
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I can usually enjoy any book at all, if I come in with reasonable expectations.

That being said, the worst book I can think of is "The Iron Tree" by Cecilia Dart-Thornton.

Read some of the reviews on amazon (I know I wrote one) if you want to get an idea.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #342
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Have I made the list yet???
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #343
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post

You have a book? Elucidate us!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 PM   #344
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
You haven't finished the story yet!

(And it certainly wouldn't be on my list of worst books, anyway )
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #345
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
sir sir, you're looking at the wrong list.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote