Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 AM   #31
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
"You wouldn't steal a car......"

No, I wouldn't... I just took a bus and paid a ten dollar ticket to see the movie. Let me see it already and stop preaching to the choir
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I see you haven't been in a video rental store in recent years.
They still have video rental stores?
So Redbox still has room to grow...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #33
Jyster
Enthusiast
Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jyster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Money just shifts to different media types. VHS, Beta, Laser, DVD, HDDVD, Blu-Ray, Streaming, whatever the new big thing will be.

There is an article about Netflix changing again, I think they slowly going to kill themselves.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/once-f...174008412.html
Jyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #34
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyster View Post

There is an article about Netflix changing again, I think they slowly going to kill themselves.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/once-f...174008412.html
As the article points out, the shift isn't exactly their choice. The studios are tightening the screws on subscription movie streaming precisely because disk-based sales are drying up. They would rather have ppv digital rentals and sales.

They originally signed up for digital subscription services because they thought they would be limited to PC viewing (a niche) instead of migrating to the "living room" (their bread and butter). Now they have to deal with an entirely frictionless distribution channel and are looking to strike a balance between the predictable (but stagnant at best) Cableco income and the need to tap new business models to make up for the decline of the old business model.

Not unlike the Big Publishing Houses who expected ebooks to remain a hobbyist/techie niche and were caught offguard when they became a mainstream product appealing to the most prolific narrative text buyers, torpedoing their big-launch sales-driven business model.

Both industries are and will remain in flux for years to come.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #35
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Netflix seems to be doing OK, despite losing the rights to some movies. They are moving more to being an alternative to cable TV, with creating new TV series and creating new episodes of previously existing series.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #36
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Netflix seems to be doing OK, despite losing the rights to some movies. They are moving more to being an alternative to cable TV, with creating new TV series and creating new episodes of previously existing series.
In Canada, we have a smaller selection, but I still find Netflix an excellent deal. My wife and I watch whole TV series on it and I am finding a lot of great ones.

I agree that it is not a replacement for buying new releases, rather it is like a cable TV alternative - on demand with no commercials and thousands of titles.

I actually cancelled my cable TV because I find enough to watch on Netflix.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #37
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Already have a reading room, but thanx. Maýbe I should start a whiskey collection and have a room for barrels?

As for turntable, yes I do have one, but I have also noticed that you can buy turntables with USB ports. Haven't checked into it thoroughly but I have to assume it is for recording to a PC. Lots of Frank Sinatra Live albums, Ella Fitzgerald, Platters, Count Basie. Belonged to my parents, they reluctantly entered the VD age somewhere around 2000.
Oh, excellent taste in music.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #38
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Egads. (more in shipping than in buying).
Good movie, too.
I prefer his FLINT movies, though.
fjt, both Flint movies packagd together are currently available for $10.01 plus $2.98 shipping. I enjoyed them both in the theatre way back when.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Flint...SIN=B000HT3PF6
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #39
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
fjt, both Flint movies packagd together are currently available for $10.01 plus $2.98 shipping. I enjoyed them both in the theatre way back when.
Thanks for the tip.
The box art is really cool.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #40
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Egads. (more in shipping than in buying).
Good movie, too.
I prefer his FLINT movies, though.

I think DVD buying volume will resume but only when prices finish re-setting themselves. And that hasn't happened yet. When it does, $3 for a vintage movie DVD will be the norm, I think. (It helps that DVD material costs are closer to $0.50 than $50. )
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Flint...SIN=B000HT3PF6
Quote:
Thanks for the tip.
The box art is really cool.
fjt, I have an update for you! Last month I bought both Flint movies at Big Lots for three dollars each!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #41
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
fjt, I have an update for you! Last month I bought both Flint movies at Big Lots for three dollars each!
only in Great America!
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #42
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
only in Great America!
Yup!
Other places they would rather landfill excess inventory than sell it to a liquidator.
(Big Lots, here I come. Thanks, GARussell)

I hope liquidating existing DVDs means a new BD set is on the way.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #43
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
While whining about piracy and lamenting the declining sales of movies on physical discs, Hollywood somehow managed to make more money than ever in 2012. Apparently Hollywood managed to rake in $10.7 billion in 2012; if that's what a dying industry looks like, I'm sure publishing would love to get a piece of that disease.

Link

It may also be worth noting that some of the info in the CNET article linked in the first post doesn't appear to be correct. The author of that piece says that music sales basically collapsed, but that's not true. Album sales collapsed because people started buying individual songs, music sales did not collapse.

Last edited by Ninjalawyer; 01-20-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #44
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If the movie has a blu-ray version, I prefer renting or buying the blu-ray version rather than streaming. Streaming sucks. Even HD streaming won't be as good as 1080p. Not to mention of intermittent drop of video quality when it is adjusting to your broadband speed.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #45
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
If the movie has a blu-ray version, I prefer renting or buying the blu-ray version rather than streaming. Streaming sucks. Even HD streaming won't be as good as 1080p. Not to mention of intermittent drop of video quality when it is adjusting to your broadband speed.
Like so many things, it depends.
Some movies I see in theaters, some I wait to rent online.
Some I buy in BD wen they first appear, others only after they hit the discount bin. Mostly it is a matter of quality, production values, and likelihood I'll see it again or screen it for company.
I've found that streaming has changed my TV viewing habits (and DVD set buying) more than my movie viewing habits.