Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
not really. there's no exra click unless you choose to, there's a default and then if the default is unsuitable you can use the drop-down to change it (if the extra file is included in the drop-down choices).
Selecting epub from that list currently means "use original_epub if it is present otherwise use epub".

If I were to add original_epub to the list, then the meaning of selecting epub must be changed to "use epub even if original_epub is present".

Then there will be inconsistent behaviors between the single and bulk convert dialogs, since a bulk conversion will always use original_epub in preference to epub. And that will create confusion of the sort: "I get different results running this conversion from epub in bulk and single mode". Or it will require yet another option in the bulk conversion dialog to tell it to not use originals.

Generally speaking, adding an extra option, increases the degrees of freedom, thereby increasing complexity and confusion. Ordinarily, I would not mind doing that, but in this case its benefit does not outweigh its harm.

Either:

1) You do not edit the output of conversion in external tools

In this case original_epub is harmless to you

2) You edit the output of the conversion in external tools

You simply need to train yourself to delete original_epub once you're done editing. Training yourself to do that is a lot easier than training yourself to maintain a backup of the original before converting in case the conversion messes up.

Step back for a moment and imagine that you hadn't used calibre before this feature was introduced, then this would be what you would do without really thinking about it.

3) You never feel the need to rerun a conversion on an original/you maintain originals outside calibre

In this case simply disable the feature, and you will never see an original_epub

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-05-2011 at 03:25 PM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #17
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Confuses me a bit what on use saved conversion settings really does. Doesn't seeml ike it actually saves the first one?
I'm not sure of your question, but here's what I see:

Calibre always converts from an input format to XHTML and from XHTML to the output format. That separates the input format from the output format, and Calibre separately saves the settings for input format to XHTML and the settings for output format from XHTML. Any time I reuse an input format, Calibre remembers all the settings I used for converting to XHTML, regardless of what output format I previously used or what output format I've currently selected.

Similarly, whenever I select an output format, Calibre recalls the settings I used for going from XHTML to that output format, no matter what input format I previously used.

Finally, Calibre automatically selects my preferred output format (EPUB in my case) regardless of what output format I asked for the last time and it automatically selects the previously used input format.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@Starson17

My question.
When I add several books to calibre (lit, pdf, epub, etc.) and bulk convert them they use the original format.

When I attempt to convert them again they use the epub format as the default input. (which I have selected in preferences)

If I convert them again they default to epub but if I select another format they use that format forever until I select another format.

Saved settings does not seem to work on first convert.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A bulk conversion does not save the used input format. A used input format is saved only on a single conversion, as only on a single conversion do you actually choose an input format.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #20
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
@Starson17

My question.
When I add several books to calibre (lit, pdf, epub, etc.) and bulk convert them they use the original format.

When I attempt to convert them again they use the epub format as the default input. (which I have selected in preferences)

If I convert them again they default to epub but if I select another format they use that format forever until I select another format.

Saved settings does not seem to work on first convert.

Helen
Perhaps Kovid's post answered you? My comments were entirely directed at single format conversions, not bulk conversions.

I must admit, however, I'm still not sure of the question and since I'm interested:
Quote:
I assume these would be books with only a single format in them - (lit, pdf, epub, etc.). Yes, Calibre will use the only format in each record. If there's more than one, it will use the "best" as you specified in the ordered list in Prefs. Calibre will save the settings for your EPUB output. No input settings will be saved. The settings used for the inputs are those in your general settings.
Quote:
This is in accord with the above. After the first conversion, you'll have EPUBs in each record, so that format will be used as the input format (assuming you have it at the top in your ordered list). The output settings for conversion to EPUB will be saved for those books. No input settings will be saved.
Quote:
Perhaps I'm dense, but I'm not sure what you are saying here. Does "default to epub" mean that's the input format used? It would be, as that is the "best" format in your ordered list. Or does it mean that's the default output? That's also correct if you have set EPUB as your preferred. The "if I select another format they use that format forever until I select another format" is what is confusing me. You can only select the output in a bulk conversion, not the input format. The input is controlled by the ordered prefernce list. My output format always defaults to my preferred output (EPUB) when I run a bulk conversion.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Kovid's post did answer me.
Sorry for not being clearer
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote