Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #1
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Introducing Myself

Hello to everyone,

I just joined today and I'm posting this to introduce myself. Although I'm new to this forum, I've been into ebooks for a while (since 2000 I think), with my first e-reader being a Palm Vx (the large memory version). Since that time, I've gone through many Palm PDAs and ebooks have been one of my major uses for each of them. As far as ebook software goes, I used the Palm Reader on my Palm PDAs.

As far as my current ebook reader, I now have a Sony Reader (the PRS-505) and it is simply a wonderful ebook reader. I had the PRS-500 and still use it, and although the PRS-500 was a good ebook reader, the PRS-505 is a great improvement over it and it added some much needed features that weren't available with the PRS-500.

As far as ebook formats go, I prefer PDF. While my reader supports other formats, my main reason for preferring PDF is that it gives me complete control over my ebook formatting, including the fonts used, and I can know ahead of time exactly how my ebooks will look on my device.

Thanks for reading.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:35 AM   #2
pikelet
girl from oz
pikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-bookspikelet has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300, Cybook Gen3
Welcome!
pikelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Welcome to Mobileread!

I too started off with PDAs - in my case, a Sony Clie SL-10. I much prefer my CyBook Gen 3 to any LCD display I've tried.

As for PDF - if you're generating ebooks for your own use at the right page size and font size, they're excellent.

But if you're buying commercial ebooks, they're generally suboptimal for 6" and smaller ebook readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
Hello to everyone,

I just joined today and I'm posting this to introduce myself. Although I'm new to this forum, I've been into ebooks for a while (since 2000 I think), with my first e-reader being a Palm Vx (the large memory version). Since that time, I've gone through many Palm PDAs and ebooks have been one of my major uses for each of them. As far as ebook software goes, I used the Palm Reader on my Palm PDAs.

As far as my current ebook reader, I now have a Sony Reader (the PRS-505) and it is simply a wonderful ebook reader. I had the PRS-500 and still use it, and although the PRS-500 was a good ebook reader, the PRS-505 is a great improvement over it and it added some much needed features that weren't available with the PRS-500.

As far as ebook formats go, I prefer PDF. While my reader supports other formats, my main reason for preferring PDF is that it gives me complete control over my ebook formatting, including the fonts used, and I can know ahead of time exactly how my ebooks will look on my device.

Thanks for reading.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
hodad66
Beachside Member
hodad66 doesn't litterhodad66 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Solitaire1.

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
brunnhilde44
brunnhilde44 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Introduction

Hi! I have just joined the group.
I'm one of those frustrated Canadians desperate to get a Kindle.
Having just returned from a transatlantic cruise where my husband and I had to lug around 10 books I can tell you we were very envious of those with Kindles!
However, I have also heard reservations about Kindles and I want to join the forum to get a better sense of whether Kindle is absolutely right for us.
It may be that there are better options especially with the unavailability of Kindles here.
First off I just want a book reader - I don't like devices that do a number of things (usually less well) e.g. I would never buy a phone with a camera. I am not sure why the Kindle has a keyboard but it appears to cut down on the reading screen size which looks like a downside.

I would like it to be easy to use (and download) and light in weight and I would like to have the option of increasing font size (bad eyesight!) and that it be easy to read in sunlight.

I would like a good range of books (including classics). I usually like serious fiction by good authors (quality paperbacks) and am not very interested in blockbusters.
Finally I think having ability to expand books stored e.g. by having a large SD card would be helpful. Will the readers take 8 mg cards for example?
Many thanks for any advice....sorry this ran on longer than I intended...
brunnhilde44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnhilde44 View Post
Hi! I have just joined the group.
I'm one of those frustrated Canadians desperate to get a Kindle.
Having just returned from a transatlantic cruise where my husband and I had to lug around 10 books I can tell you we were very envious of those with Kindles!
However, I have also heard reservations about Kindles and I want to join the forum to get a better sense of whether Kindle is absolutely right for us.
It may be that there are better options especially with the unavailability of Kindles here.
First off I just want a book reader - I don't like devices that do a number of things (usually less well) e.g. I would never buy a phone with a camera. I am not sure why the Kindle has a keyboard but it appears to cut down on the reading screen size which looks like a downside.

I would like it to be easy to use (and download) and light in weight and I would like to have the option of increasing font size (bad eyesight!) and that it be easy to read in sunlight.

I would like a good range of books (including classics). I usually like serious fiction by good authors (quality paperbacks) and am not very interested in blockbusters.
Finally I think having ability to expand books stored e.g. by having a large SD card would be helpful. Will the readers take 8 mg cards for example?
Many thanks for any advice....sorry this ran on longer than I intended...
Welcome to MobileRead, brunnhilde44.

I'm sure you'll find the proper device for you eventually. I just want to say.....an 8gb card will hold approx 8,000 books and slow down your reader considerably. I have a 2 GB card, over 800 books loaded, and its not even half full.

Here is a link to our wiki dedicated ebook reader page......enjoy.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Solitaire1, and Click image for larger version

Name:	dog_welcome.gif
Views:	213
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	38804 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
And Click image for larger version

Name:	hotdog.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	38806 to you also, brunnhilde44.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
tufrostie
Enthusiast
tufrostie began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1100, PocketBook 360
Welcome!
tufrostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Solitaire1 and welcome to MobileRead. Like you, I started reading on PDAs back in 2000. I had an iPaq and liked it fine till I discovered the 505; now I'm hooked!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi brunnhilde44 and welcome to MobileRead.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnhilde44 View Post
...I would never buy a phone with a camera. I am not sure why the Kindle has a keyboard but it appears to cut down on the reading screen size which looks like a downside....
I am no expert as you can see from my "device type", but while I agree one of the things that causes me to look at the Kindle 2 somewhat askance is the keyboard, the 6" screen is still a 6" screen. They just added a little extra room at the bottom for what I call the "button clutter".

As for a phone with a camera. It used to be (in the U.S.) that a car air conditioning unit was optional as well, so we will accept your "never" statement as a "not while there is a choice" statement. But your sentiments are still popular. Many want a reader to read with, and leave the other stuff to the other gadgets that were built to do that other stuff.

Welcome to Mobileread.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
Williamlk
Guru
Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Williamlk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Welcome to MR!
Williamlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Resurrecting threads .... !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote