Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 05-07-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Alex, I was one of those who supported a new forum for those who wanted to stay more on topic than sometimes happened in the Lounge. I thought the Conservatory was a good idea. I saw it as a place to discuss all kinds of topics without moving too far off topic. However, I did feel that the topics posted there were a little on the dark side and that some of the discussions within became very heated. I quickly realized that the Lounge, with it's lack of intensity and injection of humor, was a much better place to spend my time.

I thank you for your graciousness in allowing the new forum and for your courage in closing it when you saw the need.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I hope Harry T comes back. His knowledge of copyright laws has been very valuable to me.

And what did you guys do to make PilotBob disappear? Scary as it may seem, that penguin is a good moral compass and level head. Usually.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I hope Harry T comes back. His knowledge of copyright laws has been very valuable to me.

And what did you guys do to make PilotBob disappear? Scary as it may seem, that penguin is a good moral compass and level head. Usually.
harryt is on holiday this week, so you won't see him much for the next few days. pilotbob is still around. drop him a little note to say hello.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes I know. But that is to many clicks and to much mouse movement to be a good user interface. Web based point and click interfaces are usually pretty bad but since I can have a search button the interface to MobileRead became acceptable.
Switch to vimperator and bid good riddance to your mouse

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 05-07-2009 at 03:49 PM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
harryt is on holiday this week, so you won't see him much for the next few days. pilotbob is still around. drop him a little note to say hello.
I love it when you Europeans, etc. call it a "Holiday"! It sounds so much nicer than "Vacation"!

I know, I know, , but I just HAD to say it.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #21
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Sorry to say but my impression is that the conservatory was not the only place where "the atmosphere was going to profoundly change". During the last weeks a lot of uncomfortable arguments took place in many discussions in other forum sections too. In my opinion it's wrong to blame only the conservatory for that trend.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
During the last weeks a lot of uncomfortable arguments took place in many discussions in other forum sections too. In my opinion it's wrong to blame only the conservatory for that trend.
True, but the conservatory was the cause for various misunderstandings and unnecessary arguments between members as well as mods, which then carried over to other places.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #23
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Although the lounge & conservatory were sometimes fun & educational, I think I'd rather just stick to ebook type topics. MR had seemed to just get too big and I was losing interest.

I may have been one of the "too argumentative" ones. My wife always said I was. If so, I apologize.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #24
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It's been a challenging week for me and I like to tell you why. As many of you know, about a month ago we added a new forum, the Conservatory, which was meant as a place to discuss off-topic subjects with a certain seriousness, which some have found lacking in our generally well-perceived Lounge. Proponents of the Conservatory argued that it was important to have a place where discussions were kept relevant to the original topic. They also argued that discussions in the lounge were often being hijacked. As a result, the Conservatory was created.

Fans of the Conservatory are invited to start a new social group where they can chat in a more private environment about those topics dearest to them.

Lastly, I would like to apologize to everyone who felt personally alienated by the previous change in atmosphere. I promise: I will try my best to listen to all of you and to guarantee that MobileRead stays as friendly and social as it is best known for.

Cheers,
Alex
I'm REALLY sorry to hear this, as I actually liked the place. I liked that it was not the Llounge. I was okay with the tone - art some points it went perhaps too far, but I knew not to take it personally. I knew to take a breath and perhaps not sprint to the keyboard. Some did, but that's okay with me. It wa also entertaining.

This is the first EVER I hear about this and I feel CHEATED. I sincerely wish there had been public talk about this. I am very sorry to hear you are closing the Conservatory after only a month based - apparently, as far as I understand - solely on private messages. I am honestly realy disappointed that this could have not been taken more public until you made this announcement. If it has been, I am sorry I didn't notice, but I check the Conservatory on a 1 or 2 day basis and I think I should have seen.

Sorry, but I am feeling REALLY REALLY bad right now about this. It feels unfair that you didn't hear us all publicly before deciding this.

Now I feel like leaving here for a while, if there can be no more room for people and this can happen just like that.

EDIT: I added this before reading the thread - I have not yet read it, and don't plan to. Sorry.

EDIT2: This decision, NOT discussed, is so arrogant! I am SO ANGRY right now.

Last edited by Ea; 05-07-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added nore
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I'm a bit indifferent between two off-topic boards or just one with different prefixes, but...

What is achieved with this new merging? What will prevent people to make "heavy" off-topic discussions? Won't mixing that "atmosphere" in the conservatory with the Llounge just spoil it?

Just asking...
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #26
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Other than a couple of science related posts, I didn't participate that much in the Conservatory, but nevertheless I think it's too bad its closing. From what I had seen I enjoyed it. Maybe there were uncomfortable threads that I missed.

As far as individuals that are contentious -- I'm probably one of them. (It's my basic personality.)

I hope nobody takes anything I say personally, especially when I disagree with someone, as I really don't mean to disrespect anyone or their opinions, and even it if may not always show, I really am trying to be more empathetic and not so sarcastic. (Some individuals just set me off though.)

Last edited by Daithi; 05-07-2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: fixed a misspelling
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #27
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
True, but the conservatory was the cause for various misunderstandings and unnecessary arguments between members as well as mods, which then carried over to other places.
Please see this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...444#post450444 for an example of a fairly acrimonious dispute going on in the Lounge.

Are we in danger of making a scapegoat out of the Conservatory for things which are happening all over the forums?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #28
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Please see this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...444#post450444 for an example of a fairly acrimonious dispute going on in the Lounge
Uhm. This thread is right from the Conservatory before it got moved to the lounge today.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #29
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Uhm. This thread is right from the Conservatory before it got moved to the lounge today.
Hmm...In which case I stand corrected
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #30
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Alwx; I would like to know:
Why did you choose to close the forum without having this discussed publicly? I liked the forum. I liked the frank discussion. I liked that Mobileread was open for discussion. I cannot understand why this decision could not have been debated publicly. I feel cheated, and 'under-run' - if I had spoken up about the forum in *private*, would that have helped not to close it?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote