Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #31
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/972/972.txt

That will bring you to
Title: The Devil's Dictionary

Author: Ambrose Bierce

Posting Date: July 26, 2008 [EBook #972]
Release Date: July, 1997

You can use e.g. Calibre to put it into .lrf format.
I've just converted and uploaded this in LRF, PRC, and IMP format. A terrific read, although it's not useful as a dictionary, of course.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:36 AM   #32
Athos
Athos began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader PRS-505
Thanks everyone, for all your helpful replies.
Athos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:08 AM   #33
maggotb0y
Connoisseur
maggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheesemaggotb0y can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
It might also be possible to build a copy of the English Wiktionary, which may not be authoritative, but is probably fairly complete: http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiktionary/latest/
maggotb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #34
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
A more ambitious project would include an updated 1913 Webster's dictionary done a long time ago here http://web.archive.org/web/200406061...adiocrypt.com/. This one includes 125,970 searchable words!!!
BTW, did I mention IT'S HUGE.

Lots of luck here!
Just for info, I thought I'd have a go with this big boy (36 Mb HTML) using BookDesigner. I opened it this morning and BD started crunching away to load it. After 45 minutes, it was still working at it so I just shut off my PC. I may try this again later but my sense is that even if I can open it, add an efficient table of contants, and generate an LRF file from it, it's going to be so massive that it will be INCREDIBLY impractical to use, particularly without a direct way to get to the word you're looking up. You might just get the definition of a word quicker by posting a letter of inquiry to your local libary.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #35
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Just for info, I thought I'd have a go with this big boy (36 Mb HTML) using BookDesigner. I opened it this morning and BD started crunching away to load it. After 45 minutes, it was still working at it so I just shut off my PC. I may try this again later but my sense is that even if I can open it, add an efficient table of contants, and generate an LRF file from it, it's going to be so massive that it will be INCREDIBLY impractical to use, particularly without a direct way to get to the word you're looking up. You might just get the definition of a word quicker by posting a letter of inquiry to your local libary.
I guess it's back to hand editing that HTML file to insert the two-tiered TOC.

I've never used BD to prepare a TOC so don't know what to expect here.

I don't mind working with HTML, so I might gives this a go (and finish what I started so long ago).

How would you like that two-tiered TOC to function? Was my idea similar?

Any tips/ideas would be helpful.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #36
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I guess it's back to hand editing that HTML file to insert the two-tiered TOC.

I've never used BD to prepare a TOC so don't know what to expect here.

I don't mind working with HTML, so I might gives this a go (and finish what I started so long ago).

How would you like that two-tiered TOC to function? Was my idea similar?

Any tips/ideas would be helpful.
Nick, that's awfully nice of you, as usual. Frankly, I don't really care since I can't imagine me ever using the thing. I was just trying to help fulfill other people's desire. But for those that might try to use it, I would think that the TOC you had would be a very useful thing. I was also thinking that if you were trying to get to ELUCIDATE, for example, and clicked on EL to get you to that part of the dictionary, it might also be helpful to have at that spot selections for EK and EM. That way, you could see what page EL was on and then quickly also see where EM was at and that might help you guesstimate where ELUCIDATE might be. I don't know. I've given all of this about 20 seconds thought so far, Nick. If you want to spend any time, I'd say post something with the bare minimum amount of your effort and let's see if people unanimously say whether this is all folly or not and we can go from there. You think?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:31 PM   #37
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Nick, I thought I would tell you that I tried BD one more time. After 2 hours, BD puked and reported that it couldn't convert the file. Sorry. I have no ideas except perhaps to look for another public domain dictionary that's smaller.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #38
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nick, I thought I would tell you that I tried BD one more time. After 2 hours, BD puked and reported that it couldn't convert the file. Sorry. I have no ideas except perhaps to look for another public domain dictionary that's smaller.
As if I needed another reason NOT to use BD...

I used Mobipocket Creator to produce a 29MB .prc using standard compression and it looked good. I replaced my footer TOC with a simple inline TOC as the first page. I then tried high compression but it was taking too long (almost two hours). I aborted it since it took over my machine and I need to use my computer. I'll try again with a better TOC structure.

Alas, I don't have any hardware device to test it.

I haven't tried calibre yet; but will do so when I'm done with the new TOC.

Oh, btw, I've used this dictionary (about 25MB) on my REB1200 reader and EBW1150 reader without problems. And they say my hardware is obsolete... : pfff :

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-03-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #39
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
I think that it may be a good idea to load and make a separate BD file for each letter, (perhaps lumping x, y and z together.) Each could have its own TOC.
At the end of the process, one could join the files together, maybe into one huge volume, but perhaps into several smaller ones.

(I am not volunteering for this. As soon as I've recovered a bit, I've got the Supplemental volumes of the 1001 Nights on my to-do list.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #40
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I think that it may be a good idea to load and make a separate BD file for each letter, (perhaps lumping x, y and z together.) Each could have its own TOC.
I actually liked using Mobipocket Creator (MPC) to make a TOC file using it's built-in 'Add Table of Contents' section. I specified my 'tag' for the first level and MPC placed an id for every letter in a separate TOC.html AND MPC added that id to the tag I had specified! Very fast and convenient. And all using HTML, no BD.

Next, all I'll have to do is pick an unused tag and then specify/place it at every tier-two point. Re-run the 'Add T0C' and use that revised TOC.html. BTW, I then just took those TOC entries from the TOC.html and placed them in the main .html at the beginning i.e. inline TOC. I then discarded the separate TOC.html file.

Quote:
At the end of the process, one could join the files together, maybe into one huge volume, but perhaps into several smaller ones.
That's a very good idea when working with large files! Hopefully it will allow BD to handle this dictionary.

Quote:
(I am not volunteering for this. As soon as I've recovered a bit, I've got the Supplemental volumes of the 1001 Nights on my to-do list.)
Yeah, 'to-do' lists complicate matters....
Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 AM   #41
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post

That's an excellent idea, Patricia. I may try just that. And I understand you're not volunteering for it. If you never make another book, you will still always be the Ebook Goddess of MobileRead.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #42
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You guys are just too kind.
And too modest. We all remember your work too.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #43
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

I've posted a portion of the 1913 Webster's dictionary (letter 'A' only) in the upload section. For those who were interested, please give this a try and let me know if you really think it's useful. For example, try looking up a particular word (e.g., 'accomodation') and let me know how many steps it took you. Remember that the words and definitions are from a hundred years ago.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #44
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
if you do convert a dictionary for the reader, I would recommend converting it to EPUB as epub supports a hierarchical table of contents, which means that instead of using the joystick, you can use the number buttons to quickly navigate all links.
Kovid:

This is an intriguing feature. For .epub ebooks, does the hieracrchical TOC need to be explicitly created or does the Sony PRS-505 assign them to the number keys "on the fly"?

If the former, how could I get the 1913 Webster's Dictionary I converted to .epub, using your html2epub, to navigate my table of contents links using the number buttons for quicker navigation. VR mentions here that it's slow using the joystick.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your valuable .epub support!
Old 11-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #45
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Numbers are automatically assigned. The TOC items are displayed 10 entries by 10 entries.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote