Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #16
liems
liems began at the beginning.

I had "State of Denial", but tired on carry this around, so I purchased the eBook version, and have been reading it since.
liems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:35 PM   #17
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I am keeping my favorite pBooks and acquiring them in eBook form whenever I can locate them.

Does that make me a book hoarder? I hope so.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I replaced my paper books with ebooks. And then promptly recycled the old paperbacks.
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I don't usually re-purchase books I own in paper as ebooks, though I do try to acquire them in other ways, because my current house has very limited shelf space, most of my paper books are in storage, and I like to re-read. But I feel that I've already paid for one license to read the books I own in paper. (Especially since many of my paper books-- including those I like to re-read-- aren't available as commercial ebooks anyway.)

I would consider buying an ebook of a book I already owned in paper if there was additional content, e.g. author interviews, hotlinks between unusual terms in the book and a glossary or map, new background content provided by the author, etc.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #20
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I don't usually re-purchase books I own in paper as ebooks, though I do try to acquire them in other ways, because my current house has very limited shelf space, most of my paper books are in storage, and I like to re-read. But I feel that I've already paid for one license to read the books I own in paper. (Especially since many of my paper books-- including those I like to re-read-- aren't available as commercial ebooks anyway.)

I would consider buying an ebook of a book I already owned in paper if there was additional content, e.g. author interviews, hotlinks between unusual terms in the book and a glossary or map, new background content provided by the author, etc.
Yepp, thats the way I look at it as well really, if I own the book in paperback/hardbound, and I can find it in digital version someplace, I do tend to "borrow" it as well.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #21
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have also considered buying ebook versions of books I own in paper if I could buy them for around the price I could sell the used pbooks for, plus maybe $1, but so far the ebook versions have usually been much more expensive than this. I own several thousand books, so I can't really afford to replace them all. (And again, most of them aren't available in commercial versions anyway-- and some aren't available as ebooks anywhere, as far as I can tell.)
Old 09-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #22
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I have bought several eBook versions of pBooks I already own. For example, I absolutely have to have Hitchhikers Guide at hand. And, the day I bought my reader (Jan 08), I was about half way though the pBook version of 'Angles and Demons' by Dale Brown and was too excited about my Sony Reader to not buy the the eBook and finish it on my new toy.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #23
Thanabur
Thanabur began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Why not? I actually buy various editions of the same books for various reasons.

If (ok, has you can see I'm not all that sold on the idea that e-books will actually replace p-books) e-books will be the way of the future, then surely down the road I'll want to liberate shelf space and buy some of my favourites. Until then I'll just aquire some new ones has e-books. Specially the thick, bloated, heavy ones.
Thanabur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:50 AM   #24
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I've bought a few e-books which are copies of pbook I already own, but in most cases it was because it was a favourite and my copy was a few thousand miles away .
In any case I've probably bought paper copies if I hadn't.

I've thought about replacing some of my collection with e-books, but have been stymied by two facts. Price and availability.

I've normally bought books (Paperback or hardback) when I could get them on sale or discounted. I can't justify paying full price for a version which is more limited and can't be resold or lent out.

Also a large number of book where I might be willing to pay the price are not available for purchase. So that removes the option of doing so.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #25
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I've never got rid of any of my paperbooks and don't intend to - I've read them all multiple times, they're like old friends

I have also bought a fair few of them again as ebooks, mainly for convenience (but partly due to the fact we're re-decorating the house and most of my books are in boxes piled up in the spare room ).

I do still buy paperbooks (if they aren't available as ebooks), but ebooks are now my preferred format.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I always buy an eBook if one is commercially available. I don't personally consider that having a paperback gives one a "right" to an eBook, any more than having a hardback gives one a "right" to a paperback.

In cases where no eBook is commercially available, I would consider downloading one, but should a commercial eBook subsequently become available, I'd feel obliged to buy it in that circumstance.

Just my personal viewpoint - I appreciate that others feel differently, and I don't have a problem with that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I try to avoid buying paper books now, in favor of e-books. I haven't started replacing any of my existing paperbacks with e-books yet... I don't need 2 of the same book, in any format. However, if I ever find myself in such a space bind that I must give up my paperbacks, I may re-purchase them as e-books where I can.

I would be willing to make an exception in the case of a good and reasonable-priced e-book collection... say, the entire run of Doc Savage novels for under $50 (Sold!). Or the Clarke short story collection if it comes available for under $20 (definitely for $10).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #28
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I certainly respect a point of view like HarryT's. On those occasions where I've downloaded books I already own in paper, I've found they are usually scans of a paper version (one can see the OCR errors). Very rarely, the books have appeared to be "cracked" commercial versions. I don't feel comfortable with such a download. Creating a good ebook takes time and effort, and when a company invests that time and effort, it's reasonable for them to expect compensation. When a fan scans a book and makes it available, it's more like a donation to the community, and if I own the paper version anyway, I could have scanned and OCR'd it myself, so I don't feel I'm depriving the publisher of anything, even if they also have a commercial version available.

These days I try to just buy ebooks in the first place, but there are several authors that I routinely share with other members of my family and friends, and most of them don't have ebook readers (and don't like to read on the computer). So sometimes I still end up buying paper. Also, some of the books I want aren't available as ebooks (commercial and/or darknet), so the only way to get them is to buy the paper. But I really prefer reading on my iLiad, at this point. The only circumstance in which I'd rather use paper is for certain reference works, and if search functionalities improve, I'd prefer to read those on the iLiad as well.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #29
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
These days I try to just buy ebooks in the first place, but there are several authors that I routinely share with other members of my family and friends, and most of them don't have ebook readers (and don't like to read on the computer). So sometimes I still end up buying paper.
I have the same problem. After reading a good book I always want to hand it on to others but it's tricky when trying to buy only eBooks. I really need a second eBook reader to lend eBooks to people on (this might be a reality if I can't resist buying one of the new iRex Readers).

As for the main topic of this thread... I will always look for a free download of books I own on paper. If I can't find one, I will only buy an eBook version if I haven't read the book already or if it's a classic I know I'll read again and again.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote