Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 PM   #31
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
A year ago I bought a new Kindle, and all I had to do was register it, and the books started downloading right after.
This simply isn't accurate. You may have sent some books to the Kindle after it was ordered (and prior to it having arrived), and those would download automatically, but a new Kindle will not download all of the ebooks in your Kindle archive.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #32
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
This simply isn't accurate. You may have sent some books to the Kindle after it was ordered (and prior to it having arrived), and those would download automatically, but a new Kindle will not download all of the ebooks in your Kindle archive.
I seem to remember doing what I said, I certainly do not remember choosing the books one by one and sending them to my new Kindle. That would have been something which I would certainly have remembered !
But I will not contest the statement further, I have some doubts.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #33
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Perhaps you had books pending delivery when you got your new Kindle so they downloaded straight away? That apart, there's no way your Kindle automatically downloads the books that are sitting in your archive, you have to 'ask' it to deliver them, either via the Amazon website or the archive on your Kindle. Syncing only downloads any books that you've either bought and haven't had delivered to your Kindle yet, or books you've selected from your Amazon cloud storage. If it automatically synced all your books stored in the cloud to your Kindle, every time you read a book and deleted it from your Kindle it'd reappear on your Kindle, wouldn't it?!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #34
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. You need to either use the archive on the device to download the books one at a time, or use Manage Your Kindle on an Amazon account to send books one at a time.
And, you need a separate program to monitor which books you've read and which books are to be read. It's a shame I can't do that with the archive.

I move my TBR books to a new Kindle in about 3 hours and I've never had a problem. Perhaps novels, which would be 95% of my books, are less indexing intensive.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
And, you need a separate program to monitor which books you've read and which books are to be read. It's a shame I can't do that with the archive.

I move my TBR books to a new Kindle in about 3 hours and I've never had a problem. Perhaps novels, which would be 95% of my books, are less indexing intensive.
What I do for Kindle ebooks is just removing them from the device. For all my other ebooks, (now I understand better your question) the answer is yes, I do have something external (actually 2 things).

I use a spreadsheet where I also note down what I bought and how much it costed me, and I note also whether I read it or not. I need that because I noticed one day that I had bought twice a book and I did not notice. Memory is not what is used to be, and anyway with so many books .....

For the practical purpose of dealing with the reader, though, I have created a boolean attribute in Calibre, which tells me whether I have read the ebook or not. This way I can keep my readers synchronised.

And for the future I shall pay more attention, and download / sideload just a few books at a time. And check the indexing is over, before continuing.
I believe the re-indexing was needed by the firmware upgrade this time and it was a massive thing. Cross my finger, I hope I do not need to do it again.

EDIT : How did I end up with so many books. Sigh, how can you resist this offer
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=189173&page=2

Last edited by brudigia; 02-16-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Offers in Amazon Shop
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
It's weird that it took so long to index though - I also have around 650 ebooks and I moved them from Calibre to the PW in batches of 200 or thereabout, then just left the Kindle asleep and plugged into a wall charger while it was indexing. I did the last batch this morning and it took about 2 and a half hours to index 200.
I have also in the past transfered stuff to the K3 in fairly big batches and indexing was reasonably fast too (again Kindle asleep and plugged in)

Last edited by Yolina; 02-16-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #37
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
It's weird that it took so long to index though - I also have around 650 ebooks and I moved them from Calibre to the PW in batches of 200 or thereabout, then just left the Kindle asleep and plugged into a wall charger while it was indexing. I did the last batch this morning and it took about 2 and a half hours to index 200.
I have also in the past transfered stuff to the K3 in fairly big batches and indexing was reasonably fast too (again Kindle asleep and plugged in)
Do not know what to say. It was not a nice experience, what with the restart I had to perform. Maybe something wrong in the Kindle. Now it does not matter, at least until next time.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #38
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I use a spreadsheet where I also note down what I bought and how much it costed me, and I note also whether I read it or not. I need that because I noticed one day that I had bought twice a book and I did not notice. Memory is not what is used to be, and anyway with so many books .....

For the practical purpose of dealing with the reader, though, I have created a boolean attribute in Calibre, which tells me whether I have read the ebook or not.
I look at all this complexity, and I think 'why?' (though reader synchronization may be a reason: I have only one). I just keep my unread books in an unread collection on the kindle, the read ones in a read collection, the being-read ones in an 'Active' collection (chosen to be near the start of the alphabet, since the PW always alphasorts collection names), and shuffle them from one to the other to keep track of them. If the Kindle gets full (ha! ha! nowhere near, give me a few years), some of the stuff in the read collection gets deleted and goes back to live in the clouds (if Amazon-bought) or in my calibre backup (otherwise, though I'm tempted to push all of those through personal documents email just so that *everything* can live in the cloud, for consistency).

This is simple and requires essentially no effort. It can't track what books I've already bought, though, that's true, but then that's a problem I already have in physical bookshops, and at least Amazon can often warn you that you already bought something.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #39
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I look at all this complexity, and I think 'why?'
I can't speak for brudigia, but I keep a separate list as I have more than one Kindle, as well as a couple of other ereaders. I keep my books in calibre so I can easily transfer them to whatever device I want, and I keep a separate list of all books I read in Delicious Library, as I want to keep track of library and audio books as well.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #40
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
I look at all this complexity, and I think 'why?' (though reader synchronization may be a reason: I have only one). I just keep my unread books in an unread collection on the kindle, the read ones in a read collection, the being-read ones in an 'Active' collection (chosen to be near the start of the alphabet, since the PW always alphasorts collection names), and shuffle them from one to the other to keep track of them. If the Kindle gets full (ha! ha! nowhere near, give me a few years), some of the stuff in the read collection gets deleted and goes back to live in the clouds (if Amazon-bought) or in my calibre backup (otherwise, though I'm tempted to push all of those through personal documents email just so that *everything* can live in the cloud, for consistency).

This is simple and requires essentially no effort. It can't track what books I've already bought, though, that's true, but then that's a problem I already have in physical bookshops, and at least Amazon can often warn you that you already bought something.
It is a personal choice, I cannot advice it to other who have different tastes and habits. I read on two different readers, one for when I am out of the house, one when I am in bed. Thus Calibre to synch the readers. And the attribute helps in remembering.
The Excel spreadsheet, as I said, is more of a safeguard for my memory. In 12 years (I started ereading on a PocketPC) I have bought more than 1000 books, which, being made of bits, do not appear on my physical bookshelf and thus I need to keep track of them. I am also a fan for stats, therefore I also keep track of what I buy, and how much I spend.
That is all. Calibre would be enough for me ( a toast to Kovid and all the Calibre team, it has become indispensible for me) if I did not want to know what I am spending.

Last edited by brudigia; 02-17-2013 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #41
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
I can't speak for brudigia, but I keep a separate list as I have more than one Kindle, as well as a couple of other ereaders. I keep my books in calibre so I can easily transfer them to whatever device I want, and I keep a separate list of all books I read in Delicious Library, as I want to keep track of library and audio books as well.
I had never heard of this product, what is it? I shall look in Google.

Edit: never mind, it is only for Mac.

Last edited by brudigia; 02-17-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #42
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
I had never heard of this product, what is it? I shall look in Google.

Edit: never mind, it is only for Mac.
Are you asking what Calibre is? Because, if so, it is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux http://calibre-ebook.com/download

I run it on both my Windows XP laptop and my Windows 7 Pc. It's invaluable.
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
Are you asking what Calibre is? Because, if so, it is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux http://calibre-ebook.com/download

I run it on both my Windows XP laptop and my Windows 7 Pc. It's invaluable.
No, he was asking what "Delicious Library" was.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #44
brudigia
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, he was asking what "Delicious Library" was.
Yes HarryT is right. Sorry for the confusion.
Cheers.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #45
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I'm still having this problem with indexing. Namely that it stops at a "problem" book and won't continue. I've tried loading a few at a time but it's particular books not the amount that cause the problem.

Trouble is I haven't found a way to identify which books cause the problem so I'm left with the task of adding one book at a time and checking whether it indexes ok. I haven't got time to do that.

So I live with it - which is a shame because I actually find the search one of the most useful parts of having an ereader.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
indexing kindle