Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #31
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
So now we have a book with an expiration date.
A sort of tangible DRM?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #32
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Next thing you know they will be printing them on toilet paper so you can read right before you wipe.

Attempts to sell deliberately-disposable media products have typically not gone over well. People who don't want to keep these things around choose to rent rather than buy.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #33
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It was called DIVX (Digital Video Express) and was an attempt at a different way to rent movies. With some titles you could then pay more and "own" the movie permanently if you chose to (as long as you used it on the authorized player/account). There were lots of problems including players that initially cost almost double what a regular DVD player cost at the time.

More...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX
I think it isn't what was meant.
I recall having read someone developed DVD coating which got damaged by the reading laser.
The outcome was you would end up with a disc you are able to guaranteed read once, but would damage the more, the often you would play it.
As if old style vinyl records would be of extra soft, matter and get destroyed faster by the needle.

Note to the youngsters: the line above is deliberately left blank to give you time to look up the ancient audio tech in Wikipedia
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Next thing you know they will be printing them on toilet paper so you can read right before you wipe.
Now THAT I'd buy. My roommate and I have differing tastes in bathroom reading material. This way, we could just each have our own roll. And it's much more sanitary than keeping regular books in there.

CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #35
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I'm guessing he means it would leave you with hundreds of useless DVDs laying around. AOL provided my house with coasters for years.
We use these as Frisbee.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-30-2012 at 02:15 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #36
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I think it isn't what was meant.
I recall having read someone developed DVD coating which got damaged by the reading laser.
The outcome was you would end up with a disc you are able to guaranteed read once, but would damage the more, the often you would play it.
As if old style vinyl records would be of extra soft, matter and get destroyed faster by the needle.

Note to the youngsters: the line above is deliberately left blank to give you time to look up the ancient audio tech in Wikipedia
I don't remember that one. The self-destructing DVD I remember had a coating that began turning black when exposed to air. Came in an airtight packet and started self-destructing once you opened it. Still got one.

Last edited by J. Strnad; 06-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #37
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
They were never made afaik. I just read that some guy developed and patented that crap.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #38
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
I'm guessing he means it would leave you with hundreds of useless DVDs laying around. AOL provided my house with coasters for years.
We collected them from friends and relatives, then:
  • tied string to them and hung them in fruit trees to keep the birds away.
  • overlapped and glued them, so we could stick them upright into the soil as flower borders.

Last edited by dreams; 06-30-2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: typo
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #39
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
My bet is they all turn blank before they are sold and no one ever tries this again.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #40
WatchAdam
Enthusiast
WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
And to think, Bradbury was mad about ebooks! Why doesn't the book just self-ignite?

Now, if this were disappearing, RE-appearing ink, that would be interesting.
WatchAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #41
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Now THAT I'd buy. My roommate and I have differing tastes in bathroom reading material. This way, we could just each have our own roll. And it's much more sanitary than keeping regular books in there.

At least if you disliked the reading material, it is then used appropriately...
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #42
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
You got it in one! We'd have at least a couple of dozen floating around our dorm suite in college being used as coasters, frizbees and non-lethal shurikens.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #43
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchAdam View Post
And to think, Bradbury was mad about ebooks! Why doesn't the book just self-ignite?
Why did this remind me about a horrible joke from World of Warcraft?

Q: What do you call a Tauren with a Goblin Dragon Gun?" (A flamethrower that usually exploded, setting the user on fire)
A: Self- roasting beef.

Quote:
Now, if this were disappearing, RE-appearing ink, that would be interesting.
Sounds like a magic show trick.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #44
WatchAdam
Enthusiast
WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Sounds like a magic show trick.
Hey, the publishers tried integrating video with books (saw one in the shops, not sure the title). So why not magic?
WatchAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #45
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
It is an anthology, which is something I'm more likely to reread.

Plus, am I the only one that likes rereading before I get the author's next book? That way I get back in the mindset of that author's style and stories.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote