Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
Thanks for the constructive suggestions

As said previously the problem was with the Sonar protection, it identified Calibre as being high risk for I think *file operations* (can't remember for sure now) when I dropped an ebook on it and immediately quarantined it.

The pop up gave me the option to re install and exclude from future scans, which as I trust Calibre I chose to do. The next time I ran Calibre it did exactly the same thing so I chose re install and exclude again.
This time it allowed Calibre to run but objected to a module within Calibre, (which I can't now remember), which I also chose to exclude.

I can't find any way to un choose the exclusions so I can't replicate any part of the problem. Nor can I find any reference in the history anywhere of the quarantine or reasons for.

Norton has never objected to Calibre on a full system scan.

It is running without objections now.

Thanks
Did you reboot after the change. Sometimes virus scanners won't pick up the changes til a windows reboot.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 AM   #32
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Did you reboot after the change. Sometimes virus scanners won't pick up the changes til a windows reboot.
Yup!

I think now that there are a few modules it was objecting to. Just wish I could find a way of replicating it. Can't find a way to un-ignore Calibre. I will try posting a question at http://community.norton.com/ as suggested by lesspaul

Have noticed since that there is a Hotfix patch on Symantec's site relating to the Sonar scan. So maybe it is part of that.

I am completely satisfied that it is not the fault of Calibre.

Either way Calibre is continuing to do the excellent job it always has - thanks Kovid.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #33
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The main problem with ALL anti-virus and firewall-type software is that you have no choice but to use one or other of them.
But you do - run Linux
mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #34
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediax View Post
But you do - run Linux
Don't worry, it'll get better
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #35
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Just a little Symantec comparison. I purchased a Asus Eee PC 1000HE. It uses a low power cpu (Intel® Atom N270/ N280) that works ok for its design but isn't a powerhouse.

I had purchased Symantec Antivirus Corp Edition 10 ($5) through work. When I got the netbook I tried to install it and it just overwhelmed the cpu. Now this was just an anti-virus product and it utilized so much cpu time that it wasn't worth using on this machine.

Fortunately my workplace had just upgraded to Symantec Endpoint 11 which is a anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-trojan, anti-keylogger and a firewall built into one product. I purchased this product ($5) and installed it on the netbook and it was amazing how little cpu time was used.

I'm just pointing out how different two products from the same company can be.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I run McAfee on my Acer One Netbook and it seems fine.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #37
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm just pointing out how different two products from the same company can be.
As an administrator I had lots of very unpleasant experiences with many various old versions of Symantec anti-something products.
I am glad they finally did put things in order, but it would take more to repair their reputation.

You see, when I do computer related work I am something like a mercenary. I have to work with the stuff that is available or the stuff that customer requires. Even when it is software I do not trust or simply strongly dislike. I can make suggestions, but ultimately when I am at work I have to use whatever means are available.

At home, and on my computer at work (to a certain extent), the situation is different and I am free to use as much OpenSource or other cool and/or geeky stuff as I like.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote