Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 05:11 AM   #61
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sorry, but you asked for examples of ways in which Apple were "over controlling", and not permitting direct access to the device's file system is one of those ways. Having to use a web server to transfer content to the device is just plain ridiculous.

Another example, then, if you don't like that one: applications for the iPod Touch / iPhone have to be "approved" by Apple, and can only be sold through the iTunes stores. Apple can pull your applications from the store on a whim, giving you no explanation as to why they have done so. Compare that to, say, Palm or Windows Mobile devices where anybody can write and sell programs with it without needing "Big Brother's" approval to do so.

Don't get me wrong - I like Apple devices, and own several myself, but nobody can deny that Apple are the ultimate "control freaks".
Ok fair enough i was more suggesting that there are simple ways of transferring files to and from an iPhone that dont need a web server.

Again you talk about apple being controlling and then comparre that to other manafacturers but its a choice apple has made and one that whilst being more restrictive than other manafacturers for the most part is actually not an issue.
Realistically you cant name something that you can do(that is realistically wanted or needed) on a phobne with any of those devices that you cant do with an iPhone in terms of the end result! EG you cant transfer a book to an iphone via USB, but you can do it in other ways so the end result with both is you can do it.

ok the app store, lets look at an equivalent store owned by say Microsoft, the Xbox arcade store lets you buy games, guess what they have to be approved by microsoft and if MS find something they dont like they can withdraw the game or software at will.

What im trying to say is Apple are as open as their devices need to be and as open as Apple want them to be. and MS are the same as are Palm etc etc

but many many people are saying 'Apple are controlling you cant do X' when in fact you can achieve X but in a different way.

eg the guy suggesting you cant bluetooth a file from an iPhone yes thats true but apple have provided you with the ability to do that just in a different way, that in most peoples opinions is better. transfer docs via mail or bluetooth... ask around and see which gets more use is faster and easier.

I just thing with Apple people seem to really take 'controlling' to the extreme its not as black and white as Apple = closed MS/Palm/Google = open

Last edited by stustaff; 01-06-2010 at 05:14 AM.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #62
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think the concept of a tablet computer is a great one -- first conceived in science fiction and it's almost there. I don't know that Apple is the answer and I really doubt it, but as said above there will be millions that drink the kool-aid and will purchase it. I'm sure it will be a fine device and I'm hoping it spawns many competitors.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #63
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
There is no way to view poerpoint shows in an ipod touch that I know of...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #64
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
There is no way to view poerpoint shows in an ipod touch that I know of...
iPresenter and mbPointer are two apps that will display PowerPoint files on the iPhone.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #65
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
...there will be millions that drink the kool-aid and will purchase it.
It might have been unintended, might not, but please leave snide comments at the door. "Drinking the kool-aid" imparts a negative tone towards those who purchase Apple products. They may not be for you, but millions of people happen to enjoy their purhcase.

Isn't this a forum frequented by readers?
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 AM   #66
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
iPresenter and mbPointer are two apps that will display PowerPoint files on the iPhone.
'allinone office' is another as is 'documents to go' as is the fact that if its on an email you can open it in the device without any apps as long as your running V2.o or higher firmware.

and there are many of other ways
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #67
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
'allinone office' is another as is 'documents to go' as is the fact that if its on an email you can open it in the device without any apps as long as your running V2.o or higher firmware.

and there are many of other ways
And another freebie, which should work for some presentations, is to open in Google Docs.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #68
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
I am a tech-head so to speak, I loathed apple for quite a long time, being a unix and windows kind of guy, but with the ever increasing number of viruses and malware on PCs, and my reluctance to support linux for my wife, we bought a mac mini. With unix being the underlying OS on mac, and my ability to adequeately secure the box with no antivirus anti spyware, etc, I am a convert. I prefer open systems, but if what you want to do is within what the mac/apple device offers, the apple system does it very well. They have thought through the whole system and experience from end to end. My ipod, which I use primarily for podcasts, and email does the job wonderfully, the integration from the ipod, through itunes, through the app store is a well thought out ecosystem, I would never buy a different mp3 player.

That said, I would like to be able to develop apps without having to use objective-c, as I prefer python, so I am on the fence about the tablet. I prefer having linux, and all the openness that goes with it for my ereader, but then again, I really like being able to collect my email (home account) and maybe play a game or two, and I am sure the itablet/islate will do this nicely.

In the end, we all have different needs/desires, and It is good toi have choices.

(I am really interested in the que, the price point/eink are what I like, but winCE would be my last choice for an OS) I am on the fence until after CES/the 27th, but then am ready to open my wallet happily).

Happy new years all!
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #69
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
It's amazing to see how many people rejoice the "freedom" they have with MS-based systems. I wonder what that "freedom" is when I think about what I call "freedom": free of hickups, restarts, quirks, nasty interfaces, virii, trojans etc.

The only thing I can't do with my iPhone that I could do with my symbian or windows mobile or linux phone is send photos with bluetooth to a photo print kiosk. Guess I'll just have to email it to the address that's printed on the kiosk, then, which might take longer.
What I can do is browse, email and text in a way that was previously unthinkable. Aat least for me, since the experience was horrible up until now.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #70
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
It might have been unintended, might not, but please leave snide comments at the door. "Drinking the kool-aid" imparts a negative tone towards those who purchase Apple products. They may not be for you, but millions of people happen to enjoy their purhcase.

Isn't this a forum frequented by readers?
Just ignore them. The irony of such comments is its all "kool-aid drinkers" to them until they decide to get one themselves, whether its an Apple product, Kindle, Sony, or anything else.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Never having encountered it, may I ask what is derogatory about the reference to drinking "kool-aid"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #72
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Never having encountered it, may I ask what is derogatory about the reference to drinking "kool-aid"?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...k+the+kool-aid
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #74
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
It refers to the cult massacre in Guyana and is a slur against those thought to be mindless followers that will do as their leader says even unto death. Wikipedia ref.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #75
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
True to some extent (this is exactly what is happening to MS and others), but doesn't that amount to a "dumbing down" the product to the lowest common nominator and hurts those that need the extra functions and can handle it?

But of course there are other reasons, Apple skimped on program memory and has no exchangeable battery. Avoiding background operation does mitigate those flaws somewhat. Most important, however, are economic reasons. They want to make sure that all the apps go through the app store.
That's all true. But the thing is people who don't like the devices, want hacker stuff, home brew programs and not limited to buying through the app store, should just buy other smart phones.

No need to go around bashing Apple, insulting people with iPhones as sheep etc.

Most people aren't tech heads who care about such things and just want a smart phone for phone calls, text messaging, some light web surfing, and playing with random apps. And they want it to be a simple and intuitive to use as possible. And the iPhone is fantastic for that--again I don't own one, so not a fanboy.

So the iPhone, iPod etc. fits many people's needs. They're not sheep, or kool-aid drinkers. They're buying easy to use products that do everything they need to do, and simply don't need ability to put different files or features on it.

Apple makes products for the mainstream, not techheads. And there's nothing wrong with that. The tech heads have plenty of products out there that are more open and flexible to choose from.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote