Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
It's wet.

I got my 505 wet today, dried it off right away, and seemed to be working normally after. But, when I got home from work and attempted to turn it on, it goes to the start up page, synchs, and then I get a no battery message! What do I do. If I leave it alone awhile maybe it'll come back. Or... thismaybeanexcusetogetthe600. Sorry. This may be an excuse to get a 600. Either way, would still like to get it running again.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #2
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Moment of silence please. It when down hill further I'm afraid. Just attempted to turn it on again and nothing happened.
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
leave it in a dry place for 3 days. check after that.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Like gregcd said--let it alone to dry out. Using it when there still might be some moisture inside could cause damage.

Hopefully letting it dry out will cure what ails it!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If it still won't turn on after 3 days, you could try putting it in a bag with a packet of silica gel....

Good luck!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
Journier
Groupie

You know what. I have tried to start it up since than and got nothing. I'm afraid it may be a goner. However, I will leave it alone now, after excessive power switch manipulation and see what happens. In the mean time, I do have my 700, and was able to finish Stranger In a Strange Land. Grok?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
DanielCoffey
Connoisseur
DanielCoffey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Has the battery discharged? Try a wall-socket recharge once you are sure the innards are dry.
DanielCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've read (I wish I could find the link) that electronics (actually, I think it was specifically related to cameras) that have taken a dunking might come to after burial in a suitably-size container of rice. This is obviously along the lines of doreenjoy's suggestion, but might be more immediately accessible to you, and more immersive. I think I read a time of 2-3 days for thorough drying of the innards. It might be worth a shot. (avoid rice grains getting in any open slots, obviously).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
hgosney
hgosney began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have had success drying things out with rice.
Take a few cups of instant rice and put it in a sock and tie the sock closed, then take your reader and the sock of rice and put it in a ziplock bag.

Good Luck!
hgosney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Grok indeed. I just tried only a few days ago to re-read it but just could not do it. Everything is so dated, with all the smoking, drinking, and sexual harrassment, etc. My tastes have changed in the 30 yrs since I last read it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I would dry it out for three days, then try either silica or rice. Rice has been successful in drying my last mobile phone.
Then try some of these idea for recharging and resetting:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Grok indeed. I just tried only a few days ago to re-read it but just could not do it. Everything is so dated, with all the smoking, drinking, and sexual harrassment, etc. My tastes have changed in the 30 yrs since I last read it.
I had the same impression. When I read it in high school I enjoyed it, but when I read it as an adult, the misogyny bothered me.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I had the same impression. When I read it in high school I enjoyed it, but when I read it as an adult, the misogyny bothered me.

Have you heard if Journier's reader was OK or not?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Have you heard if Journier's reader was OK or not?
No, haven't heard.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I've had a message thanking us and saying that he's now got it working again. Hopefully, Journier wil tell us exactly what he did.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote