Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
ChelC
Enthusiast
ChelC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Got it - First thoughts

FINALLY my 700 came today. I posted earlier about having my doubts during the wait. Having seen them in Borders I was extremely concerned about the readability. Well, now having it in my hands in the lighting in my home I'm finding the screen to be much less of an issue than I was worried it would be. I think the angle and lighting at Borders made it appear much worse than it does in my home.

The cover is simple and decent, it's a really nice size. It's perfectly readable without eyestrain. I'm pretty impressed so far. The light is adequate, it's uneven from the LEDs but serves its purpose well enough, and when I turn it on I can see a single "dust speck" in the upper right. I'll keep my eye on that, but it's nothing that would cause any problems at this point in time. I don't anticipate spending much time with music, but I was impressed with the sound quality. It's better than I expected.

The speed is nice and everything is quite user friendly, so I'm happy with my purchase. I haven't had a chance to organize collections or anything, so I'll spend the next couple days exploring its capabilities.

I just thought I'd update because of the screen concerns... in normal lighting I don't think it's an issue at all. I am farsighted and usually read with some +2's but I'm able to see the screen just fine, for what it's worth to people with eye issues. Being able to magnify the text is awesome, and I only had to magnify to medium for it to be quite readable. Will update this review after I've had a couple days with it.
ChelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm glad you are enjoying it so far! I think the people who have the hardest time with the clarity are those who have previously had a 505.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Endless Ike
Endless Ike began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
I also just got mine today!

I remember reading a lot of people having problems with the 505 & larger SD cards...do those problems exist with the 700, or can I purchase whatever size SD I want?
Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Tectonic
Tech Lust
Tectonic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, HP iPaq 210
The 700 supports SD cards of all sizes.
Tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
wilsonwong
wilsonwong began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3
Congratulation to yr new reader, CheIC. Thank you for yr initial report.

I want to order the 700 too, but have concern on the dust spot. As I'm not living in US, it'll be difficult for me to exchange or return.

Anyway, it'll be helpful if you can keep us update on the dust.
wilsonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert