Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
Is your favorite book not available on Kindle?

At last! Hopefully this is not old news but Amazon has added a "button" on the left side of a book's page listing in the Main Book Store that allows you to click on it to request the book's publisher issue it in Kindle format! The button is under the book's cover illustration.

Now we can ask a publisher to fill in those books in a series that have been omitted somehow from the Kindle format. Or those old favorites that we'd like to have available as a comfort book. No guarantees of course but this will give Amazon some ammunition to persuade the various publishers to "Kindalize" specific titles.

I suggest that we all get busy and search out our favorites in the regular pbook part of Amazon and then click on the button if it is not available in Kindle format. I did just that today for 30 minutes and clicked on all the Alexander Kent "Bolitho" series of maritime fiction.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Thanks for the heads-up, cush!

I spent a few minutes requesting all the science popularizations by Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan and Martin Gardner.

Don't know if it will happen, but I would LOVE to have these books in a digital format!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
cush
Virtual Staggerwing Flier
cush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enoughcush will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle (and an iMac)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Thanks for the heads-up, cush!

I spent a few minutes requesting all the science popularizations by Isaac Asimov, Carl Sagan and Martin Gardner.

Don't know if it will happen, but I would LOVE to have these books in a digital format!
You're very welcome, and thanks for reminding me I need to request "One, Two, Three Infinity" by George Gamow, a favorite of my youth, that shaped my adult life.
cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Thank you so much!! And, as I was wandering around picking out books I'd like to see for the Kindle, I noticed that they do have the Foundation Trilogy. Grabbed that.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
LenEdgerly
LenEdgerly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Great Idea

Thanks for the tip, which I'll include in this week's episode of The Kindle Chronicles podcast!
LenEdgerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
45 minutes, about 30 books requested.

Watch them remove the feature as they get so many requests.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Hey, thanks for the pointer! I wrote to them once, requesting such a feature (I imagine others of you asked too) so I'll certainly use it! Yay!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Cool! thanks for the heads up!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:29 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile for everyone with an ebook reader to make use of the publisher's link on Amazon. The sheer number of requests might cause them to make sure all formats are covered (even though there is no way to specify).

Edit: By "them", I meant the publishers.

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-13-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: clarification
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 AM   #10
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Official blurb is out:

Quote:
Our goal is to make every title available for Kindle, and to that end some eagle-eyed Kindle owners and enthusiasts have already noticed and been using a new tool to help us do just that. If you're frustrated that a physical edition of a book is not (yet) available in Kindle version, just look below the book's image on its product detail page and you'll find a box that reads, "Please tell the publisher." Click on the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" link and we'll forward your request. Make your voice heard.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
This is a great! Just added many books by Tad Williams on my Kindle wish list.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Excellent! I don't know why they didn't do this months ago.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I clicked on Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein. I am willing to click on any book you want if you will return the favor by clicking there. No reason at all that the best Hugo winning book EVER should not be on the Kindle, mine in particular!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I clicked on Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein. I am willing to click on any book you want if you will return the favor by clicking there. No reason at all that the best Hugo winning book EVER should not be on the Kindle, mine in particular!
I have clicked.

Will you click The Long Walk for me?

Maybe we should start a "Click This Book" Thread.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I have clicked.

Will you click The Long Walk for me?

Maybe we should start a "Click This Book" Thread.
Done! And I agree!