Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Your original comment was you had to have a free eBook in the correct format to evaluate the author. I was trying to understand why this would be true unless you just wanted eBooks for free with no intention of buying.
Can't speak for the person who made the comment...but it's true for me. I'm not going to deal with PDF to evaluate whether an author is of interest. Life's too short!

On the other hand, I have found some new authors from Tor and other publishers via their providing selected free eBooks in a format I can use directly on my reader -- and this has led me to make a number of follow-up purchases.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #17
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedbypiggies View Post
What I did was I saved the file before ever opening it via ctrl-click:save file as. Then, when I opened in Acrobat, I told it not to open in full screen and had it remember the settings. No problems that way, and I can sample them at my own leisure.
I agree that there are work-arounds; the whole idea though of these free samples is to make it easy, since after all there are tons of free offers around.

Anyway the original posting about the books is very good, my point was that when you offer something to induce someone to read, maybe buy..., you should make it as easy as possible, since otherwise it kind of defeats its purpose to some extent.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #18
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
All 10 of them opened perfectly for me. They are not all of interest to me, so I only saved 6 of the 10. But I'm grateful for their being offered!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #19
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I was trying to understand why this would be true unless you just wanted eBooks for free with no intention of buying.
Dale, I spend between $5,000 and $7,500 every year (or have until the recession hit and I've slowed my pace this year) for the last 10 years or so. But most of the books I have bought are from authors with whom I am familiar or based on reviews I have read in publications such as the New York Review of Books, the New York Times Book Review, the London Review of Books, and The Economist, or because a book I am reading is citing a particular author/book. I also buy books that I can spend some time reading at my local Barnes & Noble so I get a feel for them.

What I never do is try to evaluate a book by reading a PDF on my computer because by the time I am reading to do my pleasure reading, I simply cannot bear to look at my computer screen for 1 second more and thus would not give a book a fair evaluation.

I am not suggesting that the books need to be given away free ever. Nor am I suggesting that a publisher doesn't have the right to choose the format. I am simply saying that I won't blindly buy a book, which is what you have to do for the most part with e-books, and if I can't make an e-book readable on my Sony Reader, I won't try a book at all.

There is one other point: When I buy a book at Barnes & Noble's website, if when I receive the book it isn't what I expected or want, I can return it. That's because there is a physical product to return. However, the same isn't true with an e-book, which makes it harder to justify buying an unknown author.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I am simply saying that I won't blindly buy a book, which is what you have to do for the most part with e-books, and if I can't make an e-book readable on my Sony Reader, I won't try a book at all.
I think with the Kindle you can sample any book in their library before you buy it. You can also return books withing a certain time frame, I think it is 10 days... not sure though, might be 24 hours.

One major reason to get a kindle. You can even sample books then buy them elsewhere.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #21
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
I agree that there are work-arounds; the whole idea though of these free samples is to make it easy, since after all there are tons of free offers around.

Anyway the original posting about the books is very good, my point was that when you offer something to induce someone to read, maybe buy..., you should make it as easy as possible, since otherwise it kind of defeats its purpose to some extent.
I agree about the ease of use statement for samples. They've done this type of thing before. Scott Sigler was their "big name" author before he signed with Crown, and he had them release his work Ancestor as a .pdf that he could put in his RSS feed. That looked a lot cleaner than any of the copies that they're offering here. Also, the delivery method hit the sweet spot. I got it from him without having to go to a special web page or anything.

As an aside, can't your Sony reader handle .pdf files? I thought they could.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:15 AM   #22
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The Sony can handle .pdf files which don't have security options set, but only those of a certain ratio of type size to physical page size will be easily readable on the small screen size.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:44 PM   #23
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Just to let you know, Dragon Moon Press has released two new promotional PDFs.

- The Case of the Pitcher's Pendant by Tee Morris
- Digital Magic by Philippa Ballantine

I've purchased books by both of these authors through Fictionwise, so hopefully you should be able to get them in a bit more friendly version once the print versions are released.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote