Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Kindle & smallcaps (and italics, Calibre conversion)

Okay: is the Kindle entirely unable to deal with smallcaps?

Because I have some books that contain smallcaps, either from the public domain or bought from Dutch publishers in epubs with watermark, and if I convert them in Calibre to mobi or azw3, the italics are no longer visible and the words in smallcaps are all in lower case. (Annoyingly, since most of them are names so *at least* I'd like them to have an initial cap -- but because they're encoded in small caps in the original they don't have an initial cap.)

Is that just not possible in mobi and azw3?

Or is it a limitation of the Calibre conversion?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Okay: is the Kindle entirely unable to deal with smallcaps?

Because I have some books that contain smallcaps, either from the public domain or bought from Dutch publishers in epubs with watermark, and if I convert them in Calibre to mobi or azw3, the italics are no longer visible and the words in smallcaps are all in lower case. (Annoyingly, since most of them are names so *at least* I'd like them to have an initial cap -- but because they're encoded in small caps in the original they don't have an initial cap.)

Is that just not possible in mobi and azw3?

Or is it a limitation of the Calibre conversion?
The kf8 format indeed accepts small-caps. If the css style sheet contains a "class" with -for example-:

.small_caps {
font-variant: small-caps;
}

then, the text formated with that class, will be in small-caps. Of course, the text to be in small-caps must be "correctly written". If the original text is all in capital letters, then you won't see small-caps. The text must be written with the first letter as capital and the others as lowercase letters. So:

TEST -------------> won't show as small-caps
Test -------------> will show as small-caps

So I suppose the issue you are experimenting is due to Calibre. Use Kindlegen or Kindle Previewer to convert the .epub in a .mobi file.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert