Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Covers vs. Cases-- Who. Will. Win!

Now me, I'm a case man. When I'm reading, I like my K3 all hanging out, naked. Other folks like to keep all covered up, liking the smell of gen-u-wine leather. (Mmm... leather. Sniff.) Personally, when I toss my K3 in my briefcase, I want it tightly wrapped in nylon, padding and plastic... hardshell, babe, all the way. I like the feel of a bare K3, and it's lighter in use.

My jetBook came with a nice padded nylon case with a face stiffener on the screen side, which is fine for a 5" built like a brick. My smartphone rides around in a padded Case Logic MP3 case, which fits nicely in my pocket.

I'm not a purist. My 3.5" PDAs all got sheathed in shiny aluminum: tight, white and out-of-sight Rhinoskin covers and screensavers. Hey, I work in a century old factory, and it's not getting any cleaner or neater as time goes by.

Those aren't practical for a Kindle. The lid would be too big for easy handling and I never touch the screen on my K3.

So, what's your preference, wrapped up like a deuce in a nice leather cover, or riding in a case, and hanging out when in use? Why would be nice, too.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've been using ebook readers since before there were ebook readers, and have always kept them in a cover. These are relatively fragile devices, and it seems sensible to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Wrapped up like a deuce in an Amazon leather cover (without light).

Besides the obvious protection issue, it also means that I can choose to hold it like an open book, or fold the cover back.

My daughter-in-law borrowed a naked K3 for a few weeks and couldn't get used to holding it because it didn't have the "feel" of a book.
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
So, it looks like it's Covers-2, Cases-1, Indifference-138. Indifference wins by a mile!

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
I made a case out of oak - it's about 7/8" thick, or about the size of a book. It lives inside most of the time - it has a cutout so I can hit the page button. I can put it in my carry-on bag and I don't have to worry about crushing it.
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Jack, your writing is entertaining! I keep my Kindle in a case at all times. I don't like the feel of how small the device is, and it seems my thumb doesn't fit in the right place when the Kindle is naked, but that could just be because I'm used to reading with a case. But I'm a little overboard when it comes to accessorizing my Kindle, I have 6 covers for my 2 K3's and I like switching them out. With women, it's sort of like carrying a purse I guess. I could carry all my stuff in a Walmart bag just as easy, but I like having a pretty purse to carry around and look good on my shoulder. I have some Kindle cases that are gen-u-wine leather and some that are $14.99 "faux" leather. Dressing up my Kindle is part of the pride of owning one!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it's a choice between a cover and a case, the cover always wins. The case is only good when you have your reader inside. When you take it out to use, you lose any protection.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
SamTCat
SamTCat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I prefer a case to protect my Kindle when I travel, but want to read my Kindle unadorned. My hands are sore and I would like the Kindle to be as light as possible when I am reading.
SamTCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
When I bought my kindle I bought a leather case with it, I didn't realize how much weight that would add to it. I got tired of it and bought a sleeve...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I like covers over cases MOST of the time.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTCat View Post
I prefer a case to protect my Kindle when I travel, but want to read my Kindle unadorned. My hands are sore and I would like the Kindle to be as light as possible when I am reading.
Have you thought of one of the touch screen readers with a stand? You would not have to hold the reader and you could still easily turn pages.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I've had readers for a few years now, and every time I've dropped a reader, it's always been when I've been using it. If I used cases, it would've been out of a case at the time and entirely unprotected. But, since I use covers on all the readers, the cover has always absorbed the damage.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Ignoring the troll.

My K1 and DXG are in Oberon Covers. Love the look and feel of the cover and the protection it brings. The DXG really needed a cover for ergonomic reasons. It feels weird in my hands without the cover.

My K3 is in an Oberon sleeve. I love it. The device is so light and easy to hold that I did not want to keep it in a cover. The sleeve protects the K3 nicely when it is not in use. I rarely dropped my books when I held them to read, so I am not to worried about dropping my K3.

I am toying with the idea of getting a Klear Kase because I think it would fit in my sleeve but I am not sure that I really need anything for the K3.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Oberon covers. I haven't had any of my ereaders crack or have screen issues and I think the covers are why this is.

Last edited by voracious71; 08-21-2011 at 02:20 PM.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
evwool
Connoisseur
evwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverevwool exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Palm M515, Palm VX, Kindle 3 WiFi
My Kindle lives inside its Amazon Kindle cover, mostly because I'm scared the little metal clips on the cover which fit into the side slots in the Kindle will break off if I try to remove it from there! I have got a plastic toiletry bag which holds the Kindle inside its cover but still fits inside my handbag. This provides extra protection and waterproofing. I guess I could even buy a sheet of foam and sew it up the sides to provide an extra slip-in cover to go around the Kindle, inside the toiletry bag, inside its cover..or what about a an armour plated vehicle into which....oh...maybe that's being a bit extreme...
evwool is offline   Reply With Quote