Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 03-05-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Back from Hawaii

This morning I returned from my brief trip to Oahu, Hawaii. Despite the torturous travel time (25 hours total), a scary incident on the airplane, and a few too many rainy days, visiting this island was definitely worth it. I put together some photos that you can look at if you wish.

http://www.4dots.com/hawaii/

I'd also like to take the time to thank everyone here at Mobileread for running the show so well without me. In fact, some of you - Bob, do you listen? - did such a great job that I am now considering early retirement. Also my best regards to Sammy of Palm Addicts for his continuous support of our site. Thank you guys!!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:15 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Glad to see you had a great time, Alex. A nice holiday can do a lot to recharge the batteries

Welcome back!
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you Craig! And now that I am back at work, look here, here and here what I've to deal with. I miss the drinks on the beach.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:09 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sounds like a wonderful trip for the middle of winter. That jungle was amazing, especially considering it was just moments from town. Must have been a national park of some kind? But I can't even imagine the shock to the system to come back to all that snow.

I'm so very glad to have you back home. No retirement allowed!

Oh yeah... and we're on the edge of our seats waiting to hear about the "scary incident!"
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
Sounds like a wonderful trip for the middle of winter. That jungle was amazing, especially considering it was just moments from town. Must have been a national park of some kind?
Are you referring to this picture? This was taken from the Manoa Cliff Trail in the Honolulu Forest Reserve -> Google Maps.

Quote:
I'm so very glad to have you back home. No retirement allowed!
I was afraid you'd say that

Quote:
Oh yeah... and we're on the edge of our seats waiting to hear about the "scary incident!"
It happened shortly after take-off from Honolulu on a Boing 777-200. You know the time when the plane is making steep swings to get on the right flight track all the while giving you a wonderful view of the ground underneath you. It was all quiet when suddenly some LOUD brumming noise almost made us fall out of the seat. It was accompanied by the plane vibrating and trembling. Very uncool, I thought. Even Rebecca, who is normally not at all afraid of flying, looked a bit pale around the nose. A minute later or so (!) the captain explained the situation. For some weird reason, which he didn't bother to tell us, the gear was overheated after take-off (I found some more on this topic here). To avoid the gear from catching a fire WITHIN the aircraft, he had to extend it again and have it cooled by the surrounding winds - book procedure he said.

Let me tell you, it did so not sound and feel like what you know when the landing gear is lowered usually before a final landing.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Let me tell you, it did so not sound and feel like what you know when the landing gear is lowered usually before a final landing.
Perhaps the plane was going faster than it would when trying to land?

Anyway, welcome back. Always nice to have a vacation!
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Perhaps the plane was going faster than it would when trying to land?
Yeah, that's most certainly the reason. I only mention it because until the captain told us what's going on, I had thought of a hundred things but not that he would be lowering the landing gear again.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:39 AM   #8
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Looks like it was a great vacation. Quite a difference from Hawaii now with the snow.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:25 AM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Glad you had pilots that were NOT clueless!!!

Yep, that's the jungle pic I meant. Can you even begin to imagine how much that land is worth!? I'm glad they keep it as a preserve.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

It's a preserve, but some wealthy 900 residents (like the Dillinghams, Wilders and Castles) live in this mountain-top neighborhood -> The temptation of Tantalus hard to resist, Tantalus photographs.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #11
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Back to reality with the weather, what a bummer.... at least things will be warming up for you soon, Alex (and the rest of you northerners )... I can feel winter coming in my bones...
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #12
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Exactly! It's March, shouldn't we deserve something better than snow everywhere?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #13
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Lovely vacation Alex! I am so jealous...
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote