Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #17461
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I really enjoyed this one.
Now I have started Wellington: The Iron Duke by Richard Holmes.
Apache
That looks interesting.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #17462
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Rereading the Wool/Silo series from Hugh Howey. This is to refresh my memory before tackling the series finale, Dust, which came out last week.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #17463
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
I finished Leviathan Wakes yesterday, and liked it a lot, ending and all. I'm going to read book 2, Caliban's War, pretty soon I think.

Started another Kate Shugak book today, number nine, Hunter's Moon. These mysteries are pretty short, so I try to space them out so that I don't get up to date on the series too quickly. Every time I've finished one, I just want to start the next one. I like both the setting (rural Alaska), and the characters.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #17464
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Currently reading the latest from Sharon Lee and Steve Miller -- Technical Details. This is a chapbook with two stories previously posted on the Baen Book site, Landed Alien, a story of Kara ven'Arith, and Eleutherios, where we have a down and out abbey being helped by a rather unlikely saviour.

I'd read both before when they were posted on the Baen site, but this is a pleasant excuse to re-read them.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #17465
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finished the first movement of A Dance to the Music of Time (A Question of Upbringing , A Buyer's Market, The Acceptance World) - even better the second go-around.
On to At Lady Molly's ...
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #17466
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I finished the first movement of A Dance to the Music of Time (A Question of Upbringing , A Buyer's Market, The Acceptance World) - even better the second go-around.
I've been meaning to reread these forever. Even better, you say? I shall use your post as a goad.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #17467
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
This series is on my TBR list - to follow my re-reading of the Forsyte Saga ... I'm devoting my lunch reading at work to re-experiencing the magic of these series.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #17468
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
This series is on my TBR list - to follow my re-reading of the Forsyte Saga ... I'm devoting my lunch reading at work to re-experiencing the magic of these series.
I assume you will reread A Modern Comedy, too? End of the Chapter is a different issue. Such a let down!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #17469
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I assume you will reread A Modern Comedy, too? End of the Chapter is a different issue. Such a let down!
Indeed - I use the term Forsyte Saga generically to include all 3 trilogies - and the intervening novellas. To be honest, I don't remember End of the Chapter at all - so I'll be able to confirm/deny your experience!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #17470
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
To be honest, I don't remember End of the Chapter at all
That's because you've suppressed the memory.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #17471
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's because you've suppressed the memory.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:54 AM   #17472
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I'm currently in one of my thriller moods. Over the past week, I went through Steve Berry's The Third Secret, Preston/Child's Riptide and Tom Gabbay's The Berlin Conspiracy. Riptide is probably the strongest of the three, but I enjoyed them all.
Riptide is my favorite Preston & Child. The Ice Limit was good also.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #17473
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Riptide is my favorite Preston & Child. The Ice Limit was good also.
We share the same tastes. I agree entirely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #17474
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just finished "The Passage," by Justin Cronin.

It's nice to read an imaginative novel that is also beautifully written.

It's a very long work, for those not familiar with it. There is also a second volume in this series.

Highly recommended for readers who enjoy a literate novel that transcends the tarnished, tired boundaries of ordinary fiction, and gives new life to familiar tropes.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-23-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #17475
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Finished three books within the past few days.

1. Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. I enjoyed this tale of a time traveler who sought to visit Europe during the early 14th century but accidentally found herself instead in the mid-14th century during the time the Black Death was ravaging Europe. The book seemed almost as if it had been written by two people, as the people and world of the near-future seemed somewhat shallow and unconvincing, while the people of the Middle ages seemed to come alive with quite a bit of depth. The sense of reality in the latter seemed to me to more than make up for the faults of the former, and I give this book a hearty thumbs-up. This is the current MobileRead Book Club selection, and more of my opinions on the book as well as the opinions of other club participants can be found in this thread.

2. Evolution of the Word by Marcus J. Borg. Someone with the academic credentials necessary to do the job finally published the 27 books of the New Testament in the order in which they were written; beginning with the 7 letters of Paul nearly universally accepted as genuine and ending with II Peter, which most scholars believe was written sometime in the second century by an unknown author. I highly recommend this to anyone who is curious as to how Christianity and the Christian Bible grew took shape in its formative years.

3. The Anatomy of Violence: The Biological Roots of Crime by Adrian Raine. This is a somewhat controversial book, but it is very thought-provoking and the author seems to bend over backwards in his attempt to fairly portray opinions contrary to his own. Very heavily footnoted and well-researched; I give this one a big thumbs up also.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote