Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
William Shakespeare's Star Wars

I was trolling through the Kobo store and had to do a double take when I saw this:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Willi...PlFQ4-W0Qg&r=1

Seriously? Star Wars rewritten in iambic pentameter?
I saw that it was eligible for a promo code, and found a 50% off in the ol' Kobo Discounts Thread, so I thought five bucks was worth it just to see.

I was very, very pleasantly surprised!
I love Shakespeare, and I'm a huge Star Wars geek, and boy, did this book just "work". It's brilliantly written, and seriously worth a look if you love either the Bard, or classic Star Wars or both. (Especially both!)

With such gems as:

"LUKE: Nay, thou art sure misled, O wise one, for
My father hath not fought in any wars.
Full many evenings as I lay abed
Such tales I heard of him I never knew:
A navigator on a freighter ship
Which carried fragrant spices hence to yon
My father was. He kneweth naught of wars."

and :
"TROOPER 4: Pray, show me now thy papers.
OBI-WAN: Nay, thou dost
Not need to see his papers.
TROOPER 4: Nay, we do
OBI-WAN: True it is,
That these are not the droids for which thou search’st.
TROOPER 3: Aye, these are not the droids for which we search.
OBI-WAN: And now, the lad may go his merry way.
TROOPER 3: Good lad, I prithee, go thy merry way!
OBI-WAN: Now get thee hence.
TROOPER 4: Now get thee hence, go hence!"

I read the whole thing last night and laughed out loud often.
Definitely worth a couple bucks.
-AC
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Thank you so much for posting this! I bought it too!
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I didn't see either LucasBook, OR Disney, anywhere in the info. Is Quirk Publishing a subsidiary of them? I just don't get how it is legal otherwise.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I didn't see either LucasBook, OR Disney, anywhere in the info. Is Quirk Publishing a subsidiary of them? I just don't get how it is legal otherwise.
It's been being promoted by many reputable news sources for quite some time now--in anticipation of its release. I have no idea WHO granted permission, but it seems pretty clear that it's on the up-and-up.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
they appear to be affiliated with RAndom house somehow, at least according to Wikipedia. But I couldn't find a straight answer on their own website.

Still doesn't answer my question though. I guess I keep searching.

Edit:
The book IS on the Random House website, as well as the Quirk Publishing site. I wish these incestuous publishing houses were a little more separate...

Last edited by Ravensknight; 07-12-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Hail and well met, I thankest thee for a good laugh.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 AM   #7
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I was trolling through the Kobo store and had to do a double take when I saw this:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Willi...PlFQ4-W0Qg&r=1

Seriously? Star Wars rewritten in iambic pentameter?
I saw that it was eligible for a promo code, and found a 50% off in the ol' Kobo Discounts Thread, so I thought five bucks was worth it just to see.

I was very, very pleasantly surprised!
I love Shakespeare, and I'm a huge Star Wars geek, and boy, did this book just "work". It's brilliantly written, and seriously worth a look if you love either the Bard, or classic Star Wars or both. (Especially both!)

With such gems as:

"LUKE: Nay, thou art sure misled, O wise one, for
My father hath not fought in any wars.
Full many evenings as I lay abed
Such tales I heard of him I never knew:
A navigator on a freighter ship
Which carried fragrant spices hence to yon
My father was. He kneweth naught of wars."

and :
"TROOPER 4: Pray, show me now thy papers.
OBI-WAN: Nay, thou dost
TROOPER 4: Nay, we do
OBI-WAN: True it is,
That these are not the droids for which thou search’st.
TROOPER 3: Aye, these are not the droids for which we search.
OBI-WAN: And now, the lad may go his merry way.
TROOPER 3: Good lad, I prithee, go thy merry way!
OBI-WAN: Now get thee hence.
TROOPER 4: Now get thee hence, go hence!"

I read the whole thing last night and laughed out loud often.
Definitely worth a couple bucks.
-AC
!WOW!
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I love this! Purchased!

Hope he does the other two of the original trilogy
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's been being promoted by many reputable news sources for quite some time now--in anticipation of its release. I have no idea WHO granted permission, but it seems pretty clear that it's on the up-and-up.
I've got the dead-tree version, and the copyright page clearly states that the copyright is held by Lucasfilm Ltd., not by the "author." There's also a "Lucas Books" logo on the back cover. I don't normally buy Star Wars stuff, so I have no idea if the current crop of Anderson, Zahn, etc. books are also "Lucas Books."
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 AM   #10
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
@AlbertaCowboy,

I just bought it too! Thanks for the rec
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote