Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
jb1
jb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: kobo touch
kobo aura font sizes

So I bought the new Kobo Aura and I can't believe how they messed up with the the font sizes. They are absolutely ridiculous. I used to have the Touch and found that the increased font size that I needed meant that I had to turn the pages too often. That was why I was excited to get the Aura, so that there was a bigger screen and I could have more words on a page. You would think that 24 font sizes would be a great feature until you actually start checking them out. The first 10 to 15 font sizes are not readable even to a person with great vision. They are useless! And the biggest font sizes are still small in comparison to the biggest font sizes on the Touch. The fact is that my Touch had many more options for big font sizes. I really hope that they fix this problem with the Aura. Can anyone find any use for the first half of the font sizes on the Aura????
jb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
On my Aura I can read the smallest font although I wouldn't want to. Size 4 is good for me.
The largest size is 8 lines per page. Seems big enough (close to 1/2 inch high.

Could it be the book you are reading?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, as Kobo have increased the resolution of the devices, they have kept the same font sizes. The last time I checked, the font sizes used were: 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58. On my Touch, I use 17 and the Glo, 22. When sitting next to each other, the Glo is a little smaller than the Touch, but is more readable. I haven't seen an AuraHD to compare.

With the list of fonts above, the firmware does handle the sizes in between. If you edit ".kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf", you can set the font to any number in the range. The font size is the line "readingFontSize". Change that, and it is used from then on for new books opened. But, it will be lost if you change any of the settings.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
On my Aura I can read the smallest font although I wouldn't want to. Size 4 is good for me.

Helen
Yes this seems likely. A lot of books use a font-size smaller than "normal" (or its equivalent) for the main body text which means you have to use a bigger font setting on the ereader to get a size you like. I use Sigil on my ebooks to always set the body text to font-size:normal. I just wish publishers would standardise on this.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1 View Post
So I bought the new Kobo Aura and I can't believe how they messed up with the the font sizes. They are absolutely ridiculous. I used to have the Touch and found that the increased font size that I needed meant that I had to turn the pages too often. That was why I was excited to get the Aura, so that there was a bigger screen and I could have more words on a page. You would think that 24 font sizes would be a great feature until you actually start checking them out. The first 10 to 15 font sizes are not readable even to a person with great vision. They are useless! And the biggest font sizes are still small in comparison to the biggest font sizes on the Touch. The fact is that my Touch had many more options for big font sizes. I really hope that they fix this problem with the Aura. Can anyone find any use for the first half of the font sizes on the Aura????
On my Aura running firmware 2.6.1 and an epub with the default font size set to 1 em, I get 12 lines per page with the text being about 1.2cm (1/2 inch) high. On a .kepub from Kobo, I get around 18 lines per page and the text is about .6cm (1/4 inch) tall -- the gap between the lines is much wider on the .kepub as well.

Are you reading epubs or .kepub.epub (the library will show them as Kobo epubs)? If non-DRMed, you can change the font settings using various tools.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Unfortunately, as Kobo have increased the resolution of the devices, they have kept the same font sizes. The last time I checked, the font sizes used were: 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58. On my Touch, I use 17 and the Glo, 22. When sitting next to each other, the Glo is a little smaller than the Touch, but is more readable. I haven't seen an AuraHD to compare.

With the list of fonts above, the firmware does handle the sizes in between. If you edit ".kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf", you can set the font to any number in the range. The font size is the line "readingFontSize". Change that, and it is used from then on for new books opened. But, it will be lost if you change any of the settings.
On the Aura with 2.6.1, I just tried setting the font size to 72 and it gave me a larger size than the slider did. Moving the slider worked to reduce the font size but no way to get back to 72 without re-editing the .conf file.

If Kobo could get both renderers to agree on what "normal" font size is, it would make life easier.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
The size I'm using depends on the font: with some fonts, the size slider is very close to the right side; with others, the slider is on the left side. And I agree that there is a big gap around the middle of the scale.
Knowing that I'm using 2 or 3 fonts and I'm fine
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
On the Aura with 2.6.1, I just tried setting the font size to 72 and it gave me a larger size than the slider did. Moving the slider worked to reduce the font size but no way to get back to 72 without re-editing the .conf file.
I don't think I tried anything bigger than 58, but I'm not surprised it works

Quote:
If Kobo could get both renderers to agree on what "normal" font size is, it would make life easier.
An annoying little "feature". I have wondered if it was deliberate, or if the renderers in use made it hard to match properly.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
jb1
jb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileReadjb1 has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post

Helen
So I checked and noticed that it is partly the book I am reading. For some reason, the biggest font size isn't very big. The largest size fits 15 lines per page. I bought the book through kobo so I am not sure why that is.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
jb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

With my Aura I am able to use a smaller font than the Touch because it is more readable. However, for some reason, the font size with the book I am using which I bought through Kobo won't increase enough.
Question- I have no idea how you edit in the way you suggest. I am only able to move the arrow.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
jb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Yes this seems likely. A lot of books use a font-size smaller than "normal" (or its equivalent) for the main body text which means you have to use a bigger font setting on the ereader to get a size you like. I use Sigil on my ebooks to always set the body text to font-size:normal. I just wish publishers would standardise on this.
How do you get Sigil? Is that a font face? Aura doesn't have it.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
jb1

Quote:
On my Aura running firmware 2.6.1 and an epub with the default font size set to 1 em, I get 12 lines per page with the text being about 1.2cm (1/2 inch) high. On a .kepub from Kobo, I get around 18 lines per page and the text is about .6cm (1/4 inch) tall -- the gap between the lines is much wider on the .kepub as well.

Are you reading epubs or .kepub.epub (the library will show them as Kobo epubs)? If non-DRMed, you can change the font settings using various tools.

Regards,
David
Sorry I am obviously really stupid with this stuff. I don't know what I am reading. I bought the book normally through kobo.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
jb1

Quote:

Regards,
David
How do you do that? Change it to a particular number? I only see a slider.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
How do you get Sigil? Is that a font face? Aura doesn't have it.
Sigil is a software to create epubs - freely available here
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
With my Aura I am able to use a smaller font than the Touch because it is more readable. However, for some reason, the font size with the book I am using which I bought through Kobo won't increase enough.
Question- I have no idea how you edit in the way you suggest. I am only able to move the arrow.
These settings are stored in a file on the device. It is found in the directory ".kobo/Kobo" and is called "Kobo eReader.conf". Changes made to this file will be used by the device. If you want to try a font size that the settings dialog doesn't allow, change the number on the line starting with "readingFontSize".