Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
jackieone
jackieone began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Author sorting by first name kindle 3

I've read the posts re: this problem, but I truly don't understand what the solution is.

I've downloaded books from different places; only yesterday I changed the way I download: directly to Kindle, not to desktop first and then move file to kindle.

Now I can't sort by author's last name.

I do not have Calibre installed; I didn't do anything different except I set the download to Kindle, kept it plugged in, then moved books into the documents folder.

This is killing me; I want to read series books in order! Please, help, but with step-by-step instructions for a Kindle dummy <-- that's me!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by jackieone; 05-09-2011 at 05:52 PM.
jackieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Since this isn't a question about Calibre the post was moved from the Calibre to the Kindle forum. Hopefully you will get the help you need.

If you choose to use Calibre in the future please bring this up again in the calibre forum.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-08-2011 at 10:01 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
jackieone

More Information re: authors not in alpha order

I called Amazon and spoke to a gentleman there about this problem.

He noticed that some of the books I mentioned were not purchased via Amazon.

It turns out that the only books out of order were the newly downloaded ones from Smashwords!

There is no workaround from the Amazon side. I emailed Smashwords about the problem, but still waiting for a response.

Unless someone has another idea, I might just keep all Smashwords books in a separate folder. That will keep all the works by the same author together, even if it is by their first names.

Awkward, but I don't know what else to do.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
The sorting order is determined by the book's metadata. If the metadata puts the author's name in the wrong order (which is often very common on auto-converted books such as from Smashwords), then fixing the metadata will fix the display on the Kindle.

If you have a Windows computer, the easiest way to do it without changing anything else about the file is to use Mobi2Mobi GUI and be sure to set the names as LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME and LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME & CO-LASTNAME, CO-FIRSTNAME when entering.

Mac and Linux users can still use the command-line version of Mobi2Mobi, but you need to be technically comfortable with your computer to set it up (or know someone who's willing to try installing it for you).

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I downloaded Calibre to take care of this very problem. As a Mac user, I was not comfortable with command-line (eeeewwwwwwww!). Calibre made it easy.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
jackieone

Very interesting; thank you for your responses.

I am a Mac user, but honestly, I'm still not familiar with anything technical about the Mac.

I looked at Calibre information, watched the video, it looks pretty easy.

However, is there some technical ickyness I have to go through to install on Mac? If so, is there a step-by-stem guide? My computer guy joined the Army, he's in boot camp, so I would be LOST without a guide to installation on Mac.

Again, thanks for your thoughts and advice. Much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'm on a Mac myself, and the step-by-step guide to installing and using Mobi2Mobi on the Mac are here at the MR Wiki.

It's really a matter of installing the XCode Developer Tools from Apple, then doing a lot of downloading, unpacking, and typing "./configure; make; sudo make install" over and over again. Repetitive and a little tedious in that aspect, but fairly simple.

That said, if you're not technically inclined, Calibre may be your best and easiest-to-use option. It does, however change the entire file by reconverting it every time, even if all you're doing is modifying the author name. But in most cases you'd probably never notice whatever alterations it makes.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieone View Post
However, is there some technical ickyness I have to go through to install on Mac? If so, is there a step-by-stem guide?
Not at all. Just download the .app file and drop it into your Application folder just like pretty much every other Mac application you download.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
jackieone

OK, I downloaded Calibre. It seems to be easy to use. It really does so much more than I will ever use it for; what a rocketship!

I already noticed that the books I downloaded from Smashwords have "Unknown" for all the authors, so I was able to fix that. (Mysterious because the authors' names did show up on Kindle, they just would not sort by last name, they got stuck in with the other books by first name.)

Now: how do I get books to go back to Kindle, with the fixed up authors names?

I don't get the part where Calibre syncs with the Kindle. Or does it? I did not find anything about that in the video.

And, will the art that I was able to get for the books also carry over to the Kindle? <--not necessary, just asking. That part (getting the cover art and the tags) was really easy and intuitive.

I'm curious if the books will now fit in, alpha, by last name. I'm keeping them in FN, LN format, because I like it that way.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I forget, but I think, if you have the WIFI on, you can email them to your freekindle address from Calibre.

The other option is to hook the kindle up to the computer via usb and drag the file over. In Calibre, the book is usually inside a folder with the author's name on it. I drag the entire folder to the documents folder on the kindle.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

In Calibre, when you plug your Kindle in, it usually adds a button for sending books to your Kindle. You can just select the books you want on your Kindle and click that button. I do find that occasionally I have to "convert" a book from the mobi format to a mobi format to get metadata changes like author to take hold.

You'll find, however, that the forums here are quite useful so that even a complete novice will figure it out quickly and easily.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool a few answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackieone View Post
how do I get books to go back to Kindle, with the fixed up authors names?

I don't get the part where Calibre syncs with the Kindle. Or does it? I did not find anything about that in the video.

And, will the art that I was able to get for the books also carry over to the Kindle? <--not necessary, just asking. That part (getting the cover art and the tags) was really easy and intuitive.

I'm curious if the books will now fit in, alpha, by last name. I'm keeping them in FN, LN format, because I like it that way.
first, in calibre you need to check the box labled 'use author sort for author'. this box is located in preferences->input/export->Output Options->MOBI Output. this will make the mobi file you send to the kindle sort in last name, first name order by the kindle.

to send your books to the kindle you can do so by following emalvick's instructions on how to do it over the usb connection.

to make a cover you added with calibre part of the file that goes to the kindle you must convert it after adding the new cover, even if that conversion is just a mobi to mobi conversion.
--
Alan
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote