Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Calibre Tags & Aldiko Tags Not the Same

I am using Aldiko on an Android tablet, and I copied over a dozen books from the Calibre Directory. Came over fine, but to my surprise, the single tag I have in Calibre is coming over in Aldiko with additional tags.

For example, in Calibre "The Woman in White" has one tag, which is "Mystery." Under tags in Aldiko it comes over as "Crime/Detective," and under further details, tags are "Mystery, Crime/Detective, Thriller/Suspense."

I re-checked Calibre and sure enough only Mystery is shown up under Metadata.

This is a mystery. Are those tags hidden somewhere Calibre cannot see them?

Thank you,
Tom
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
I am using Aldiko on an Android tablet, and I copied over a dozen books from the Calibre Directory. Came over fine, but to my surprise, the single tag I have in Calibre is coming over in Aldiko with additional tags.

For example, in Calibre "The Woman in White" has one tag, which is "Mystery." Under tags in Aldiko it comes over as "Crime/Detective," and under further details, tags are "Mystery, Crime/Detective, Thriller/Suspense."

I re-checked Calibre and sure enough only Mystery is shown up under Metadata.

This is a mystery. Are those tags hidden somewhere Calibre cannot see them?

Thank you,
Tom
Did you Convert the Book after you set the Tag in Calibre? The old ones may still be IN the book.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
I am using Aldiko on an Android tablet, and I copied over a dozen books from the Calibre Directory. Came over fine, but to my surprise, the single tag I have in Calibre is coming over in Aldiko with additional tags
I think the key point is that you mentioned copying the books from the Calibre directory. If this is what you actually did then this by-passes the Calibre mechanisms for updating the information that is stored INSIDE the book file rather than just in the Calibre metadata database.

The recommended way to handle this is to use one of:
  • Save to Disk
  • Send to Device
  • Convert book (even if it is ePub to ePub)
  • use Modify ePub plugin to update metadata (ePub files only)
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I think the key point is that you mentioned copying the books from the Calibre directory. If this is what you actually did then this by-passes the Calibre mechanisms for updating the information that is stored INSIDE the book file rather than just in the Calibre metadata database.

The recommended way to handle this is to use one of:
  • Save to Disk
  • Send to Device
  • Convert book (even if it is ePub to ePub)
  • use Modify ePub plugin to update metadata (ePub files only)
Thank you both for responding. I'll give this a try!
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote