Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
alophind
Connoisseur
alophind began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 650
Readers and EBook Stores connection - Help.

Hi There ,
Does it matter which device I should aim for if most of the eBooks I'll want to read are fantasy and scifi books like (small example of books I liked):

Royal Assassin Trilogy by Robin Hobb.
Amber books by Roger Zelazny.
Robert jordan , Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss books... etc.

Thank you !!! :-D
alophind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not really, no.

For one thing, one of the leading publishers of SF and Fantasy, Baen, produce books in open formats which can be read on any device.

For DRM-protected eBooks you have two main choices if you want a wide selection of books: MobiPocket and Microsoft Reader (LIT). MobiPocket books can be read on a wide range of different devices, from "smartphones" to PDAs to PCs to the iRex iLiad to the forthcoming Bookeen CyBook. LIT books can only be read on Microsoft Reader, but depending on where you live it may be legal for you to "crack" the DRM with a free program that you can download, and hence convert the file to any other format that you wish (eg for the Sony Reader).

So basically my advice would be to choose the device first and foremost. You'll always been able to get content for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not really, no.

For one thing, one of the leading publishers of SF and Fantasy, Baen, produce books in open formats which can be read on any device.

For DRM-protected eBooks you have two main choices if you want a wide selection of books: MobiPocket and Microsoft Reader (LIT). MobiPocket books can be read on a wide range of different devices, from "smartphones" to PDAs to PCs to the iRex iLiad to the forthcoming Bookeen CyBook. LIT books can only be read on Microsoft Reader, but depending on where you live it may be legal for you to "crack" the DRM with a free program that you can download, and hence convert the file to any other format that you wish (eg for the Sony Reader).

So basically my advice would be to choose the device first and foremost. You'll always been able to get content for it.
Thank you.
Just to be sure , Is the PRS500 the best device to buy today for its price tag?
I find it little difficult to purchase it for around 270$ when couple of days ago there was good promotion (the 100$ books gift). If ill wait a month or two , are there any new readers that suppose to be released ? something worth waiting ?

I have treo 650 and find it difficult to read from :-D
Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alophind View Post
Is the PRS500 the best device to buy today for its price tag?
Today? Yes, I think it probably is. If you can wait a couple of months, there will also be the Bookeen CyBook. A similar price but it will read MobiPocket books rather than Sony BBeB books.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But if you are resident in the USA, you can try for the credit card offer and get the Sony for about $60.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Alophind has said elsewhere that he lives in Israel, so no cheap deals there, I suspect .
Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #7
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Alophind has said elsewhere that he lives in Israel, so no cheap deals there, I suspect .
Yep , No cheap deals for me...
If I plan to read books I find on the web (emule for example) , Does it matter if its Sony or Cybook ?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep , No cheap deals for me...
If I plan to read books I find on the web (emule for example) , Does it matter if its Sony or Cybook ?
It matters that you didn't pay for these books regardless of what reader you own.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #9
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It matters that you didn't pay for these books regardless of what reader you own.
Conscious wise , And I ask this seriously , How much "Illegal" is it to download books that people posted (Not original work of their own , but for example if someone scanned a book into pdf) . I think its kinda the same as downloading movies someone recorded in the cinema (Illegal and crappy quality :-D ).
Old 08-14-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Conscious wise , And I ask this seriously , How much "Illegal" is it to download books that people posted (Not original work of their own , but for example if someone scanned a book into pdf) . I think its kinda the same as downloading movies someone recorded in the cinema (Illegal and crappy quality :-D ).
It's illegal. Full stop. I am guessing that Israel is a signatory of the 1990 International Berne Copyright Convention. That convention gives all authors the same legal protection for their works in Israel that they enjoy in their own country.

You are correct - downloading movies is equally illegal.

MobileRead is a strictly "legit" site. We do not condone or encourage illegal activities here. If you want eBooks to be a success, we encourage you to buy them to send a message to the authors and publishers that this is a good way to publish.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:06 PM   #11
alophind
Connoisseur

Quote:
It's illegal. Full stop. I am guessing that Israel is a signatory of the 1990 International Berne Copyright Convention. That convention gives all authors the same legal protection for their works in Israel that they enjoy in their own country.

You are correct - downloading movies is equally illegal.

MobileRead is a strictly "legit" site. We do not condone or encourage illegal activities here. If you want eBooks to be a success, we encourage you to buy them to send a message to the authors and publishers that this is a good way to publish.
You are absolutely right and I agree with you.
We , in Israel (as in the rest of the world) fight in favor of artists who get payed less this days because pirates songs on the web.

Authors are also a kind of artist.

If I gave an impression of someone who in favor of pirate books and etc , this is not the case

I'm a book worm , I used to have lots of books when I was younger (which I donated them to a local library) and lately I had an urge to start reading again.

After purchasing 3 books of Robin Hobb (in Hebrew) , which cost 50$ total , I came to conclusion that its better to buy an eBook reader and purchase the books online at a cost of around 6$ a book.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM   #12
LaughingVulcan
Technophile
LaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enoughLaughingVulcan will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-650 Sony, Nook Simpletouch, more legacy gear than I can remember
One difference between Sony Connect store and Mobipocket is that Sony Connect advertises "thousands" - at one point I saw 15,000 as a number - commercial books. Which I think includes their "Sony Classics" line. Mobipocket advertises 39,000 "premium titles" and 10,000 free books.

Don't get me wrong - I love my Reader and wouldn't give it up. But if I was getting it today, I might wait on the Cybook, just from the standpoint of number of titles available for purchase.
LaughingVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Even if I had a Cybook or an iLiad instead of my Sony, I'd still do what I do and still be able to keep most of my library.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:27 PM   #14
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
If you want eBooks to be a success, we encourage you to buy them to send a message to the authors and publishers that this is a good way to publish.
But the problem is that very few places sell eBooks.

If I buy a pBook, I have certain rights: I can re-sell the book, I can give it away to someone else, I can loan it to someone.

If I pay money for an eBook with DRM on it, I have no such rights. Therefore, I did not purchase the eBook - I purchased a license - a very restrictive license, usually. I have, in effect, leased the eBook for a limited period of time to read on a limited number of devices.

If you want eBooks to be a success, I encourage you to not pay money for any eBook that has DRM on it, and send a message to authors and publishers that DRM is a pipe dream and putting out an eBook with DRM on it is a bad business move.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I hope you won't mind if I shake my head sadly in your general direction, Lauzon .