Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
just_kev
just_kev began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
PRS-600 Sticky Page Turn Buttons

Hi everyone.
I've had my PRS-600 for a while now. I use it about 5 evening a week on average. I usually turn the pages with the page turn buttons. Just this week, when I turn a page, it doesn't stop turning them unless I press another button e.g. page turn in the reverse direction. It could be that the button is sticking I suppose, but I am wondering if it was a known fault and if anyone else has had this problem yet. The problem occurs when I turn pages in both the backward and forward directions.

I bought it online from WH Smith, and I've just read a few harrowing tales on the forum from people who have tried to return the unit to Sony under the warranty only to be asked for pay £200 and odd pounds for a repair.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

I really like the idea of an ebook reader, but having now owned one for a while I'd not buy a black and white one again. I read some technical books that use colour and this of course looses it's affect in the 600.

I used to use Stanza on my Ipod Touch which was a really good reader, so if I ever update I may go for the iPad from apple.
just_kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #2
Lord Hutton
Lord Hutton began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
If the PRS-600 is giving you a problem, then contact WH Smith customer serives ASAP, not Sony. They are your first contact point for replacement and / or repair. Do not delay in reporting this issue, otherwise you may find yourself out of warranty.
Lord Hutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hutton View Post
If the PRS-600 is giving you a problem, then contact WH Smith customer serives ASAP, not Sony. They are your first contact point for replacement and / or repair. Do not delay in reporting this issue, otherwise you may find yourself out of warranty.

Agree completely, My 600 froze up after 4 days, I emailed WH Smith and got an auto reply saying they aim to contact within 3 days, that was yesterday ....... So WAITING!

Good Luck, Hope you get it sorted
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
NSqirrel
Enthusiast
NSqirrel began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I had a similar problem a few days ago. I powered down fully, then back up again and all was back to normal. (There is also the reset button, but whether that clears the memory of where I have got to in several books, I am not sure.)
NSqirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
just_kev
just_kev began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Smile

I got home early yesterday, so inspected my reader in the daylight. I couldn't see anything wrong with the operation of the page turn buttons. There was a nice sounding click and they felt as if they had worked. I couldn't see any dust accumulation etc. So I decided I'd try a reset as advised (using the pen to press the reset switch as described in the manual).

This seems to have cured the problem! How strange! So could it be some sort of software error?

I normally power down the device when I have finished reading to maximise the battery life. (Or am I kidding myself?).

So, there must be something different about resetting to power down. Maybe resetting does some re-initialisation of some non volatile memory.

Anyway, I'm happy again now. For a while.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
just_kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
FlyFree
Bookworm
FlyFree began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Smile Sticky buttons - crumbs?

I also had a problem with the page-turn button sticking...and pages turning, turning, turning out of control. I think it may have been due to little crumbs getting in the cracks around the buttons....after I took a soft brush, and brushed around the buttons while holding the device up-side down - the problem went away! Maybe i should refrain from munching on cookies while reading!
Worth a try before returning your reader to Sony....
FlyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
michaelministry
michaelministry will become famous soon enoughmichaelministry will become famous soon enoughmichaelministry will become famous soon enoughmichaelministry will become famous soon enoughmichaelministry will become famous soon enoughmichaelministry will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600
Joy, Joy, Joy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_kev View Post
I got home early yesterday, so inspected my reader in the daylight. I couldn't see anything wrong with the operation of the page turn buttons. There was a nice sounding click and they felt as if they had worked. I couldn't see any dust accumulation etc. So I decided I'd try a reset as advised (using the pen to press the reset switch as described in the manual).

This seems to have cured the problem! How strange! So could it be some sort of software error?

I normally power down the device when I have finished reading to maximise the battery life. (Or am I kidding myself?).

So, there must be something different about resetting to power down. Maybe resetting does some re-initialisation of some non volatile memory.

Anyway, I'm happy again now. For a while.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif

Joy, Joy, Joy! The answer to my sticky button problems! I'm not sure if it was the reset or brushing around the buttons ... but it worked! Thanky!
michaelministry is offline   Reply With Quote