Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
700: Does it matter where I buy?

OK, I've done my research and I'm thinking the Sony 700 will work for me. Does it matter where I buy? I've been going to Borders to look at their demo model and was told if I buy from them, that once the package is opened, it cannot be returned. The salesman said, however, that if I bought direct from Sony that there was a time period (30 days) where you could return it if not fully satisfied.

He also said that I could not buy the service plan with accidental damage from them, that I would have to contact Sony directly. If that's the case, should I just buy from them?

Is there a difference between buying from the Sony website or from the Sony Style store?

What about the free book offer? It's not a big deal, but why waste it?

Other websites?
I assume the prices are all the same, at least that's what I've seen.

Thanks, ddave
ddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
ooo
Enthusiast
ooo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
So you decided to purchase the sony 700 as well? Haha, I'm about to place my order.
ooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
It makes a difference in that if you buy it from Border's you're reinforcing their decision not to allow returns. If you buy from Sony, you're reinforcing their much more liberal return policy.

The free book offer is from the Sony Connect store and comes with every reader, as I understand things, when you register it (authorize it) at the Sony Connect store, so in that regard it makes no difference where you buy it.

As for the extended warranty, that's a gamble you need to decide on whether it's worth it. In general it's a huge profit center for whomever you buy such a plan from or they wouldn't be offering it for sale. That means they are convinced that for every X policies they'll sell they'll only need to make good on 1 or 2 of them and the rest of the income is pure profit over and above what expense was incurred in satisfying those few claims.

As I once read life insurance explained in the comic strip "Wizard of Id"
Salesman: We're betting that you will live longer than the length of this policy.
Wizard: What happens if I die before the end of the policy?
Salesman: You win!

The only time I've ever bought an extended warranty policy, the part which broke on the car it was guaranteeing was listed as a "wear item" and not covered. My wife, on the other hand, has gotten 3 replacement handheld cassette recorders from Radio Shack under a $30 policy she bought.

Finding out how many members of this forum have bought extended warranties and actually gotten a repair/replace reader under such a policy might be a good thing for a poll.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
ddave
Enthusiast

dhbailey,

Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with you about Borders and have decided, if/when I buy the 700 to buy through Sony. Regarding the extended warranty, I agree with you that it's a gamble, but one that I will probably take. Like you, I normally refuse to buy extended warrranties and encourage such policies. However, given the fact that the eReader technology is still relatively new and that I plan to take it with me everywhere, I'll probably get the 2 year extended - But, I could be talked out of it.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Yeah, buy it through Sony. I bought mine through Borders without any issues (and mainly because I got coupons for doing so), but I know others have had issues. Sony eventually takes care of it, but it can be a hassle.

Now I feel dirty for saying this, because I want people to support Borders. Ah well, I cannot tell a lie.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
If the choice is between Sony and Borders, I would buy it from Borders. Borders has been struggling lately because of poor management and severe competition from the Internet and discounters. Maybe it sounds cliché, but I would rather support my local Borders bookstore.

BTW, I do not believe that Borders doesn't allow returns. Their website sure doesn't seem to say anything about not allowing returns. You should check at the store.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
"support my 'local' Borders bookstore" -- indeed their very entry into my local area drove a wonderful small and truly local bookstore out of business. And there's nothing "local" about Border's except the location -- the profit goes out of town and stays there. Most of their employees are part-timers so the corporation doesn't have to pay benefits for part-timers.

There's a big sign on the Sony Reader display at the Border's in my town which stipulates that electronics can not be returned for any reason other than defective product, and then they will swap it for a new item, not give money back.

Others on this forum have said the same about their local Border's and I've seen in their printed flyers and coupons (which, most of the time can't be applied to the Sony Reader), so I'm sure it's a corporate thing, not a local Border's thing.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #8
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It matters in terms of the return policy. Each store has different return policies and from what I've read in these forums, Borders does not offer money back returns if the product has been opened. I've purchased electronics from a SonyStyle store and I was told that the offer money back returns for open items, up to 14 days.

I would call your local border store and Sony and inquire about their return policy on the reader.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I picked mine up at Target. At Christmas rush time. No hassles whatsoever. Did you try seeing if your local Target has any in stock?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey View Post
"support my 'local' Borders bookstore" -- indeed their very entry into my local area drove a wonderful small and truly local bookstore out of business. And there's nothing "local" about Border's except the location -- the profit goes out of town and stays there. Most of their employees are part-timers so the corporation doesn't have to pay benefits for part-timers.

There's a big sign on the Sony Reader display at the Border's in my town which stipulates that electronics can not be returned for any reason other than defective product, and then they will swap it for a new item, not give money back.

Others on this forum have said the same about their local Border's and I've seen in their printed flyers and coupons (which, most of the time can't be applied to the Sony Reader), so I'm sure it's a corporate thing, not a local Border's thing.

I got coupons for buying the Reader, not off the Reader. With my card it's $5 gift certificate after you spend $150.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #11
ddave
Enthusiast

I started this thread after I had asked at Borders and was told they do not accept returns after the package is opened. In fact, the sales person suggested the online Sony Store "since they have a better return policy". I checked a local Target and they only have the 505, I'm looking for the 700.
Although there's no Sony Retail Store here in Minnesota, I am traveling through Atlanta for work on Sunday and may stop in there to see what they say. I'll probably look around at online purchasing options as well.
ddave
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave View Post
I started this thread after I had asked at Borders and was told they do not accept returns after the package is opened. In fact, the sales person suggested the online Sony Store "since they have a better return policy". I checked a local Target and they only have the 505, I'm looking for the 700.
Although there's no Sony Retail Store here in Minnesota, I am traveling through Atlanta for work on Sunday and may stop in there to see what they say. I'll probably look around at online purchasing options as well.
ddave
Why don't you just buy it from the Sony site?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
ddave
Enthusiast

lilac_jive,

I'm out of town all next week and if I pass a Sony Store that has a 700, then I could begin using it next week. Also, I like being able to look at what I'm buying and, if there's a knowledgeable staff, to learn more about using it. I still have some reservations about the restrictions imposed when I buy a book (with DRM). I don't what those restrictions to impede the freedom of copying files to an SD and dropping it into the reader.
I'm thinking of a few SD cards to organize my reading; technical PDF's, interesting articles, public domain books (classics), etc.
For now, I may stay away from buying books with DRM because I don't agree with the restriction that I can only buy from one supplier. I know that there is a Mobi book, a science non-fiction title (likely with many equations), I'd like to buy. If I'm at a Sony Store, I'll likely discuss this restriction as well.

ddave
Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddave View Post
lilac_jive,

I'm out of town all next week and if I pass a Sony Store that has a 700, then I could begin using it next week. Also, I like being able to look at what I'm buying and, if there's a knowledgeable staff, to learn more about using it. I still have some reservations about the restrictions imposed when I buy a book (with DRM). I don't what those restrictions to impede the freedom of copying files to an SD and dropping it into the reader.
I'm thinking of a few SD cards to organize my reading; technical PDF's, interesting articles, public domain books (classics), etc.
For now, I may stay away from buying books with DRM because I don't agree with the restriction that I can only buy from one supplier. I know that there is a Mobi book, a science non-fiction title (likely with many equations), I'd like to buy. If I'm at a Sony Store, I'll likely discuss this restriction as well.

ddave
If they're DRMed, you put the SD card in the Reader and then move the books to the Reader (this makes me wonder if I can put books I want to share with my mom on an SD card and swap it around).

You can buy books from other place's than Sony's bookstore (fictionwise is a big one), and we have a ton of nonDRM ebooks on here.

The Sony can't read the mobi format, I'm unsure if there are any converters out there for it.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
The Sony can't read the mobi format, I'm unsure if there are any converters out there for it.
*cough* CALIBRE *cough*

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote