Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
schwimmer
schwimmer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PW 'Page Flip' feature not recognizing chapters

I've realized that the "Page Flip" feature from firmware 5.4.4.1 does not work in some of my books, meaning it does not recognize chapters past the first toc.ncx entry even though the chapters show just fine when I access them through Go To>Contents.
My guess is that when I convert my epubs to azw3 using Calibre something in the toc gets 'corrupted' but I'm not sure which file the "Page Flip" feature uses for input. Do you guys have any idea what could be causing this?
schwimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
schwimmer

Example Files

Here are two files to illustrate my point. There's a source epub and the corresponding azw3 converted with Calibre. Upload the azw3 to your Kindle Paperwhite and try using the 'Page Flip' to skip chapters… you'll see what I mean.
Advert
Old 05-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Since I don't have a PW, I couldn't test your azw3 file. However, I noticed that your ePub doesn't contain an HTML TOC, which is required according to the Kindle Publishing Guidelines. While older Kindles treat an HTML TOC like any other file, it's quite possible that the PW is using it for the Page Flip feature. It's also possible that the reverse-engineered Calibre AZW3 code doesn't add whatever code Page Flip requires.

Try the following:

1. Generate an HTML TOC with Sigil (Tools > Table of Contents > Create HTML Table of Contents) and re-convert the book with both Calibre and KindleGen. If the book generated with KindleGen works, report this issue as a Calibre bug to Kovid Goyal.

2. Install the Kindle Unpack Calibre plug-in, unpack a working Kindle Page Flip book and compare the source code with a book that doesn't work.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:31 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
HTML TOC is irrelevant. Page flip uses the NCX/navlist exclusively. I converted the epub with Kindlegen and page flip works as expected. So it is some issue with calibre, perhaps you need to toggle some option or other there. I would be surprised if calibre had a general problem with this.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-06-2014 at 05:34 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
schwimmer

My conclusion is that both of you guys are right. The issue is indeed with the Calibre conversion and while the HTML Table of Contents is not a must for the 'Page Flip' feature to work, adding it with Sigil does provide the lines of code Calibre needs in order to produce a AZW3 with a working 'Page Flip'. It is a Calibre bug.
Advert