Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #1
CyanBC
CyanBC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Regex or other method to find split quotations ""

I have some epubs that have improper spaces between quotations marks.

example:

<p class="calibre1">"He told me that she walked across the burnings sands</p>
<p class="calibre1">to find her people"</p>

Is there some ... I don't know 'way' to find these simple grammatical errors and correct them `en-mass? By getting rid of the unnecessary paragraph between the quotation?
CyanBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Try:

([a-z])</p>\s+<p class="calibre1">

\1 (note the space behind the 1.

This does not take into account if a line ends with a comma or something like that. Adjust as needed.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyanBC View Post
I have some epubs that have improper spaces between quotations marks.

example:

<p class="calibre1">"He told me that she walked across the burnings sands</p>
<p class="calibre1">to find her people"</p>

Is there some ... I don't know 'way' to find these simple grammatical errors and correct them `en-mass? By getting rid of the unnecessary paragraph between the quotation?
Us the sample saved search: 'Join Paragraphs' which includes commas, but not - or ...
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
CyanBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Us the sample saved search: 'Join Paragraphs' which includes commas, but not - or ...
OMGTHANKYOUThatssoawesomeIthinkIcriedalittle.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I would run the Regexes I mentioned in this topic for cleaning up some broken Calibre paragraphs:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...89#post2446589

As to the unclosed quote, this regex works with "smart quotes" with no closing quote (forget which user I grabbed this one from, thank you so much this one is very helpful):

Search:

Code:
(“[^”\r\n]*)</p>\s+<p>
Replace (notice the space after "\1 ")

Code:
\1
If you wanted to dumb this down for dumb quotes (I did not test this, it should work, but it might be VERY ugly):

Search:

Code:
("[^"\r\n]*)</p>\s+<p>
Make sure to use all of these ONE BY ONE, and never do a "Replace All".

If you want these to work for calibre code, change the Red "<p>" into "<p class="calibre[0-9]+">"
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Another another from some thread here I use, again on a case by case basis, never replace all. But, it does fail on some lines if there 3 lines of text to join or a tag like <i> in the second section. I fix these manually first.
Find
Code:
(“[^”]*?)</p>\s+<p.+>([^“]*?”)
Replace
Code:
\1 \2
Another I use for split speech is
"bla bla bla,"
said Tom

Code:
,”</p>\s+<p.+">
or sometimes ([\,,\?,…,!])”</p>\s+<p.+">
Replace (space after " )
Code:
,”
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
CyanBC

I've tried all the regex patterns given so far. I've also tried fiddling with them a bit to see if there was small error for my application.

I've come to a new book which has an annoying issue. It creates a new paragraph between long quoted text, at times. Like this:

Code:
Jacob began to speak, "So we ran toward the still moving silhouette of the scarecrow. But we didn't find anything there.

When we came back the next day there was nothing."
I've been trying to build a regex code that looks for these errors by highlighting any quote that has stuff after it but no end quote.
Code wise it looks like this:

Code:
<p class="calibre2">At this point, James found himself shaking, "So we ran toward the still moving silhouette of the scarecrow. But we didn't find anything there.</p>

<p class="calibre2">When we came back the next day there was nothing." And so on</p>
All my attempts generally fail to find anything. Or begin to highlighting the coding sections "calibre2"
Old 05-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
are you sure they're not calibre's smart quotes? it would be easier if they were because then you wouldn't have the conflict with the classes/ids.

you could try this, but it may just end up causing more problems than it's worth. maybe saves you a bit of time?

Code:
find:
(?s)(<p[^>]*>)([^"]+".+)</p>\s+?<p[^>]*>([^"]+")

repl:
\1\2 <----- trailing white space
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
CyanBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
are you sure they're not calibre's smart quotes? it would be easier if they were because then you wouldn't have the conflict with the classes/ids.

you could try this, but it may just end up causing more problems than it's worth. maybe saves you a bit of time?

Code:
find:
(?s)(<p[^>]*>)([^"]+".+)</p>\s+?<p[^>]*>([^"]+")

repl:
\1\2 <----- trailing white space
Awesome thanks
From the original code you provided I was getting entire sections highlighted, but if I take out the . it works in a passive aggressive way. Good enough for me to find the sections and hand change them.

Code:
(?s)(<p[^>]*>)([^"]+"+)</p>\s+?<p[^>]*>([^"]+")
This highlights the second sentence of an unfinished paragraph but not the first. I'm not sure how to fix it so it gets the whole sections but it does find the errors so that I can fix them. Thank you so much!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
great, glad it's working for you
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote