Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What shall be our category for October 2013?
Fantasy 8 25.81%
Young Adult 10 32.26%
Free For All 10 32.26%
Philosophy 8 25.81%
Biography/Memoir 9 29.03%
Humor 9 29.03%
MobileRead Authors 8 25.81%
Short Stories 10 32.26%
Horror 11 35.48%
Patricia Clark Memorial Library (MobileRead Library) 15 48.39%
Planes, Trains and Automobiles (and boats) 8 25.81%
Science 14 45.16%
Modern Literature 8 25.81%
Classics 11 35.48%
Mythology 14 45.16%
Speculative Fiction 8 25.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #31
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I am also pulling for Mythology!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Me too.
Yes, hopefully one of those will either win, or force a tie with Patricia Clark Memorial Library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Anyway - just a thought. If it wins I'd probably nominate something by Peter Watts - like Blindsight. Nice to read something that an author has actually donated to the public domain - and a sci-fi horror will please me immensely.
Yet another SciFi book. We already have a SciFi month set for August, Travel Adventure ended up being SciFi instead, and now possibly October?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Absolutely. Over my dead body.
Awww... You're no fun!

I am actually hoping for science, I have a couple that I have been wanting to read or re-read and need some incentive.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Yet another SciFi book. We already have a SciFi month set for August, Travel Adventure ended up being SciFi instead, and now possibly October?
Every month can have something to do with Science Fiction. Even non-fiction can be related. So let's have 2014 be fully Science Fiction related.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #34
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Every month can have something to do with Science Fiction. Even non-fiction can be related. So let's have 2014 be fully Science Fiction related.
I'm a pretty big Science Fiction fan, but let's not please. I like that this club introduces me to new things and sometimes gets me to try something I otherwise wouldn't have. You could always start a separate Science Fiction Book Club.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm a pretty big Science Fiction fan, but let's not please. I like that this club introduces me to new things and sometimes gets me to try something I otherwise wouldn't have. You could always start a separate Science Fiction Book Club.
Science Fiction is good for those months where the selection is usually lousy otherwise such as Romance, Horror and Classics.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Science Fiction is good for those months where the selection is usually lousy otherwise such as Romance, Horror and Classics.
There is nothing wrong with Romance, Horror or Classics.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with Romance, Horror or Classics.

Not in the general sense. But it's because of what's been picked. Out of the three, horror is the worst as not a singe book picked has been scarey. Not even in the slightest bit. The books picked have been picked because they've been free, cheap, or short. Scarey has never actually entered into it.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #38
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
While absolutely true, I was gravitating towards it because I thought if I blended sci-fi with horror, I might be able to get a horror selection in for October.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #39
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Oooh...mythological science. I sense a political debate coming up if those two tie.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #40
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Oooh...mythological science. I sense a political debate coming up if those two tie.
Alchemy?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #41
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's just chemistry. Flawed chemistry, but chemistry nonetheless.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Awww... You're no fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am actually hoping for science, I have a couple that I have been wanting to read or re-read and need some incentive.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-07-2013 at 11:23 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Of the current leaders, I'm pulling for Science....
Go Science. Science is so multifaceted that there's sure to be something of interest to anyone who has so much as a thimbleful of curiosity as to why things are and how they work. Today's example: An interesting Reuters article currently on the New Scientist website: "Deep Carbon Observatory Spotlights 'Zombie' Microbes Far Below Earth's Surface."

Quote:
A lack of food in what the 700-page report called the "Stygian realm" - after the River Styx of the underworld in Greek mythology - meant some microbes might be "zombies", or so slow-living as to seem dead.
Quote:
It's very possible that there's a deep microbial biosphere that goes down more than 10 km (6 miles), maybe 20.
Have we already met the Martians, and are they us?

Quote:
... the ability of microbes to survive almost indefinitely in rocks on Earth also raises the possibility that rocks from Mars, which had liquid water before Earth, could have seeded our planet with life.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #44
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Tom sold me on Science as a category during the nominations (although I'd be OK with Mythology too).

To give folks an example of the range this category might cover here's a list of the top Science books of 2012 according to ScienceBlogs...
Quote:
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain

The Signal and the Noise: Why So Many Predictions Fail — but Some Don’t by Nate Silver

Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by David Quammen

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

The Social Conquest of Earth by Edward O. Wilson

Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks

Turing’s Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe by George Dyson

On a Farther Shore: The Life and Legacy of Rachel Carson, Author of Silent Spring by William Souder

Why Does the World Exist?: An Existential Detective Story by Jim Holt

Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation by Jon Gernter

Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History by Florence Williams

Bad Pharma: How Drug Companies Mislead Doctors and Harm Patients by Ben Goldacre

The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World by Sean M. Carroll

Connectome: How the Brain’s Wiring Makes Us Who We Are by Sebastian Seung

The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate by Robert D. Kaplan

God’s Hotel: A Doctor, a Hospital, and a Pilgrimage to the Heart of Medicine by Victoria Sweet

Straphanger: Saving Our Cities and Ourselves from the Automobile by Taras Grescoe

The Universe Within: From Quantum to Cosmos by Neil Turok

Makers: The New Industrial Revolution by Chris Anderson

Wait: The Art and Science of Delay by Frank Partnoy

Before the Lights Go Out: Conquering the Energy Crisis Before It Conquers Us by Maggie Koerth-Baker
http://scienceblogs.com/confessions/...s-of-the-year/
Old 03-08-2013, 03:34 AM   #45
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
^ looks like we have all our nominations right there! Interesting post, and it has swayed my opinion on the best category.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote