Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Might be getting a Kobo!

Hi guys! I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a KT in the next few weeks. I'm super excited! So far I've only used the iPad app for Kobo, so I was just wondering, are there any major differences (other than the obvious e-ink/LCD thing) between the iPad app and the KT itself?

I'm just avoiding any surprises.
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
allan175
allan175 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have used the Android app before I got my Kobo and they did the same thing, the main difference was the screen for me, it's so much easier to read the eInk screen, especially when it's a bit bright (the Android screen was almost unreadable in sunlight).
allan175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, Allan.

I've been to JB Hi-Fi and had a play with the Kobo Touch, and I love it! I asked the shop assistant one particular question, though, and she didn't know the answer - so I have that one specific question for you guys now! When swapping between the iPad app and the KT itself, will the KT sync my place in side-loaded books on the iPad, or will I have to stick to one device for one book if it wasn't purchased from Kobo themselves?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
No, the Kobo won't sync sideloaded books. Only books purchased from Kobo and read in the default kepub format.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

Thank you.
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You still don't have to stick to one device - just try to remember part of a sentence (one that's rather unusual, of course) and use the search. Might not be the easiest way to do but can still be done. Or else just switch at the start of a new chapter. Something like that.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:38 AM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Or read different books on different devices.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
nila
nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I usually use the search method myself.
Works without any real problems.
nila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
I only read Kobo books. No idea how to read other ones! I like things simple! The iPad sometimes syncs and sometimes doesn't. Same for the KT. No reason that I can find why both are inconsistent but it is since the last two firmware upgrades. Maybe it will come right in the next one. I try to remember my page to save frustration. Enjoy your Kobo.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

Thanks for giving me the heads-ups, everybody! I'm soon to be a proud Kobo Touch owner!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittiness View Post
Thanks for giving me the heads-ups, everybody! I'm soon to be a proud Kobo Touch owner!
Have fun with your new Kobo.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #12
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
There are a lot of differences in my opinion, at least between the Android app and the KT. The biggest for me is justification, I can't stand having the text justified left, and the app won't let you change that (The KT does though, the text looks like a real book). And various other features that are Kobo Touch specific.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
There are a lot of differences in my opinion, at least between the Android app and the KT. The biggest for me is justification, I can't stand having the text justified left, and the app won't let you change that (The KT does though, the text looks like a real book). And various other features that are Kobo Touch specific.
I can change the justification in the iOS app, but thanks for the heads-up if I ever get an Android phone.