Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
JBird
JBird began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360 Plus
Is registration necessary?

Hi all!

I just bought a Pocketbook 360 Plus. So far, it seems pretty nice.
However, I don't have a favorites icon on the main page; instead I have a registration icon. Is it necessary to register my device? I like the Pocketbook so far, but forced (more or less) registration is enough for me to not recommend Pocketbook.
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why would you not want to register it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
AFAIK registration is necessary for FW update via WLAN and shopping on Bookland (although it's pretty useless), but I'd register anyway just to avoid these annoying prompts
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
Hi all!

I just bought a Pocketbook 360 Plus. So far, it seems pretty nice.
However, I don't have a favorites icon on the main page; instead I have a registration icon. Is it necessary to register my device? I like the Pocketbook so far, but forced (more or less) registration is enough for me to not recommend Pocketbook.
same with the Pro models, and we were all pretty annoyed, on a matter of principle - having said that, unlike Amazon I do not think they keep tabs on what is on your machine, etc. You will be able to access Bookland, which as troll05 is pretty useless at the moment.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #5
JBird
JBird began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why would you not want to register it?
I shouldn't have to, but apparently unless I do I won't have a "Favorites" menu item. As paola points out, it's a matter of principle. I just bought it --- it shouldn't start off less than fully functional. This is an unfortunate thing for Pocketbook to do and it gives me a less than favorable impression of the company.

It looks like I'll be returning it.

Last edited by JBird; 05-28-2011 at 12:50 PM.
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #6
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Myself I compromised and registered, still i won't be using the shop without some major changes.
Treating paying customers of your products as if they downloaded a piece of shareware is not acceptable.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Myself I compromised and registered, still i won't be using the shop without some major changes.
Treating paying customers of your products as if they downloaded a piece of shareware is not acceptable.
There are many products that require registration prior to use. Pocketbook are doing nothing "wrong" here. If you don't like it, buy something else.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
marty63
Enthusiast
marty63 doesn't littermarty63 doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
No, proper software has 3 ,possibilities:
Register now
Register later
Never register
marty63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty63 View Post
No, proper software has 3 ,possibilities:
Register now
Register later
Never register
Ah, OK. Obviously then, for example, the Amazon Kindle doesn't have "proper software" either .
Old 05-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
But you don't have to register your Kindle, Amazon kindly does this for you with a built in backdoor-access to your purchases
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #11
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
I actually registered in order to look for offers at the webshop.. because a message told me registering would give me some bonus, which I figured would be something along the line of a joinup credit. Turns out there was no such thing, and indeed, next to nothing in the webshop at all. I went digging quite a lot but the "universal content store" consistently tells me I'm not even allowed to buy things, supposedly because of region locking. It's just a pile of insults.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
But you don't have to register your Kindle, Amazon kindly does this for you with a built in backdoor-access to your purchases
If you buy the Kindle in a store, rather than direct from Amazon, it (obviously) comes unregistered. Much of the functionality is disabled to encourage you to register.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Ah, OK. Obviously then, for example, the Amazon Kindle doesn't have "proper software" either .

Maybe. But with the big shop behind it Amazon can allow itself not to have "proper software" whereas Pocketbook has nothing to offer in return for the registration.

Sometimes, when the Pocketbook is connected to my computer anyway, I set back "regcount=" in global.cfg to 1. Of course, this doesn't take less time than simply click away the registration screen but it gives me the feeling of doing something actively against this repeated annoying request.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
If you buy the Kindle in a store, rather than direct from Amazon, it (obviously) comes unregistered. Much of the functionality is disabled to encourage you to register.
If I had bought my kindle in a store instead of from Amazon, which functionality would have been disabled?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Maybe. But with the big shop behind it Amazon can allow itself not to have "proper software" whereas Pocketbook has nothing to offer in return for the registration.

Sometimes, when the Pocketbook is connected to my computer anyway, I set back "regcount=" in global.cfg to 1. Of course, this doesn't take less time than simply click away the registration screen but it gives me the feeling of doing something actively against this repeated annoying request.
Are you saying that setting regcount=1 in global.cfg disables the registration screen only one time? Then the system somehow determines that there has been no registration and
resets regcount?

I have a PB 360, which has no registration screen that I have ever seen, but I am considering getting a PB 360+ to be able to transfer files over wifi.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote