Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
queens_own
queens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to behold

Device: Pixelar mreader
Which Ereader

Hi,
I'm still fairly new to these electronic books, I have an MReader 56-5w from Pixelar that was bought for me last xmas, the first one froze solid and was only exchanged after a lot of hastle from Pixelar,
the second started ok but has frozen three times this year requiring resets...so much for Pixelar.
So as I just want an Ebook reader that is simple/cheap to use/load books on and that is all, I don't want to use it for anything else...which ones should I look out for?
Can't find any info on the Nook currantly on tv, must admit a backlight would be nice.
Ken
queens_own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eInk screens are opaque, and hence can't be backlit, so if you specifically require a backlight, that rules out eInk, and you're looking at tablets, such as the Kindle Fire, or the various tablets made by Nook, Kobo, etc, or of course generic Android tablets - Nexus, Samsung, and so on.

I would, however, recommend that you drop your backlight requirements and consider eInk. eInk makes for a much better reading experience than LCD devices (more comfortable screen to read, enormously longer battery life, and so on). You're best off sticking with a device from a known manufacturer, rather than an unknown such as Pixelar. You basically have two choices:

1. Amazon Kindle (various models). This gives you access to the superb Amazon bookstore, and Amazon have unrivalled customer server. However, they use a different eBook format to other manufacturers. This isn't a problem - formats are easy to convert - but if you have a large investment in ePub books, it may be a consideration.

2. Nook, Kobo, etc. All use the industry-standard ePub format. Doesn't give you access to any more books, but makes it easier to move books between devices.

Personally I'd recommend a Kindle, if you can drop the backlight requirement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
queens_own
queens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to beholdqueens_own is a marvel to behold

Device: Pixelar mreader
EReaders

Hi Harry T
Just thought the backlight might be good as I have four different lights and none of them are brillient, some don't light the whole page, some are just too big and bulky to carry around, but its more important to be able to load books easily and be able to read them easily, I use Mobi as it seems to fit my page just right and doesn't need fiddling with.
Ken
queens_own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
I have a Kobo Global and love it. It has a front light and is e-ink HD
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by queens_own View Post
Just thought the backlight might be good as I have four different lights and none of them are brillient, some don't light the whole page, some are just too big and bulky to carry around, but its more important to be able to load books easily and be able to read them easily, I use Mobi as it seems to fit my page just right and doesn't need fiddling with.
The new e-readers like the Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo etc all have a light included. It's just that they use different technology to light the screen and they are frontlit, not backlit like a LCD monitor, or a tablet.

Depending on where you live (for availability of the different e-readers), where you prefer to shop for your ebooks, and your willingness/ability to remove DRM and convert from one format to another, any one of the latest e-readers could be ideal. If you like Amazon and shop there, go for the Paperwhite, if you prefer to use epub format, consider the Glo.

Your options are (and all have improved screen resolution except the Nook):

Kindle Paperwhite
Kobo Glo
Nook with GlowLight
Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Yeah in your situation I'd get a lit eInk reader, like the Nook Glow or the Kindle Paperwhite. You could look at them in stores to see which you like better.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote