Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Problem with Windows 7 and new calibre versions

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 desktop. calibre works fine till 0.8.66 version. After that, the gui starts but the books zone is reduced and calibre doesn't respond anymore.

I don't know which the problem is but calibre-debug -g gives the same answer in all the versions: The last line is: "Started up in xxx seconds with 236 books".

I can't restart calibre in debug mode because I can't press any key (it freezes at the start point).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've been using Win7 and Calibre without any noticeable problems. Is it possible you got a bad download, or that you have a corrupt book file that it's failing on?

Last edited by carld; 10-12-2012 at 05:39 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:39 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it isn't possible. I've downloaded 0.8.67, 0.8.69 an 0.9.2, too much coincidence all of them are bad downloads. And 0.8.66 is casually a good download. If a book is the cause, it would be for 0.8.66. And a corrupt book wouldn't affect the start-up.

And an empty library doesn't help either. It freezes when it's resizing the

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 10-12-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
No, it isn't possible. I've downloaded 0.8.67, 0.8.69 an 0.9.2, too much coincidence all of them are bad downloads. And 0.8.66 is casually a good download. If a book is the cause, it would be for 0.8.66. And a corrupt book wouldn't affect the start-up.

And an empty library doesn't help either. It freezes when it's resizing the
You may have a corrupt Windows font (or something that does not belong in the fonts folder).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

And does it affect only at 0.8.67 version and later? What's the difference?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And does it affect only at 0.8.67 version and later? What's the difference?
AFAIK the fons problem affects all calibre versions.
Note Windows updates can change lots of small thing about your system. I have had the fonts problem twice (one time it happened when calibre had not been changed), both appeared after a Windows update.

Was't 67 when the GUI got a face lift?

Last edited by theducks; 10-12-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: GUI
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Terisa de morgan - I've been running Calibre for almost a year on Win7, I always install updates both for it and for Windows. When I start Calibre I see a reduced size window, and the Books zone is initially small - but only for a couple of moments whilst it sorts itself out - I think its always been like that.

This is what I'd do

1. Backup the library and Calibre's Configuration directory (you can open it in Prefs>Miscellaneous to see where it is)
2. Shut down Calibre
3. Empty Calibre's Configuration directory
4. Start Calibre (this should repopulate the Config directory)

If that works then something was corrupted in Calibre's Configuration directory, the question then is; what was it - and does it matter. I had to do this when I did something stupid, but I did not care much because it was early days - starting over was a sensible to do anyway. Others might care to comment on this.

If that doesn't work then it may be something in Windows. So install the latest portable version and point it at the existing library.

If Portable doesn't work then its almost definitely something in Windows - or it could be another Python application running interference.

If Portable works then it's possibly something in the Program Files/Calibre2 directory (Program Files (X86) if you're running 64 bit Windows) or it could be something bad in the Windows Registry. In which case uninstall Calibre make sure that Program Files/Calibre 2 directory is gone, run a lightweight registry cleaner (eg Piriform's CCleaner), and then reinstall Calibre.

Hope this helps, or gives others a clue

Good luck - BR

AFAIK my fonts are whatever MS & others has installed, I've never knowingly installed any others (I have various other software installed, e.g. MS Office, Visual Studio, Oracle Office etc - not sure if some of them install fonts, quite probably). I have 256 installed fonts.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
all versions working fine here - Win 7 64 bit - the most recent seemed to take longer than usual to install itself, but that is all I've noticed.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #9
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

@theducks Windows update can change a lot of things, but if you install four times in the same evening each version (uninstalling the newest of course), and the behavior is always the same, I'm afraid it's not directly a Windows problem.

@BetterRedI'll try your suggestion and I'll tell you if I've been lucky. In my case, that reduced size window freezes on the screen and calibre doesn't respond anymore.

1.- I've emptied config file => It doesn't work.
2.- calibre portable doesn't work either => Something with Windows, but it's something new at 0.8.67 release.

Well, I'll keep my 0.8.66.

Last edited by Terisa de morgan; 10-13-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I wonder if the OP has a Calibre window off-screen? This can happen if at an earlier time Calibre had been run on a multi-monitor system. It would be nice if on start-up Calibre would check that all Windows are visible on a screen that currently exists.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

I've never had a multi-monitor system. Anyway, how can I check if I have a window off-screen?
Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 AM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
How about an overactive antivirus/anti-malware program?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
@theducks Windows update can change a lot of things, but if you install four times in the same evening each version (uninstalling the newest of course), and the behavior is always the same, I'm afraid it's not directly a Windows problem.

@BetterRedI'll try your suggestion and I'll tell you if I've been lucky. In my case, that reduced size window freezes on the screen and calibre doesn't respond anymore.

1.- I've emptied config file => It doesn't work.
2.- calibre portable doesn't work either => Something with Windows, but it's something new at 0.8.67 release.

Well, I'll keep my 0.8.66.

Windows (configuration) looks like the villain

open a command prompt: type: path

you should see something like this. Post yours (if you can't see a problem. OBSCURE your logon name 'aaaaa' or other sensitive info)

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\aaaaa>path
PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Support Tools\;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program
Files\Calibre2\

C:\Documents and Settings\aaaaa>
Old 10-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
How about an overactive antivirus/anti-malware program?
Only for some releases?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

My path:

Code:
C:\Windows\System32>path
PATH=C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x86;C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec\MyWinLocker 3\x64;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;C:\Program Files (x8
6)\Common Files\DivX Shared\;C:\Python26;C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim72;C:\Program Files (x86)\CEP\CEP Sync Tool;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\bin;C:\Program Files\Mercurial;C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\google_appengine\

C:\Windows\System32>