Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Is the Kindle Keyboard (K3) ever going to get KF8 support?

I've been having issues with ePub books converting to mobi and losing formatting, especially in tables. From what I have read, the KF8 format is a much better format, with better table support, and even support for drop caps. It should be able to take an ePub conversion without any loss of formatting.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What Amazon says is:
Quote:
Q: Will KF8 capabilities be available on all Kindle devices?
A: Kindle Fire is the first Kindle device to support KF8 - in the coming months we will roll out KF8 to our latest generation Kindle e-ink devices as well as our free Kindle reading apps.
This implies that KF8 won't be available on the K3, and in addition it has typically been Amazon's practice that new capabilities are not back ported to older devices.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Speaking of KF8, are there any rumors of a new firmware in beta for the latest Kindles? (kindle NT and kindle touch)? Just curious it's been fairly quiet with regards to firmware updates the last little while.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
We know there's going to be a new Kindle Touch firmware version for their European release on 27th April.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

The Kindle Keyboard is still a currently shipping product. I hope that means it's included.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
The Kindle Keyboard is still a currently shipping product. I hope that means it's included.
That would be a nice bonus, but I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It's a shipping product, but I suspect they're simply selling off existing stock. I doubt that any more K3s are being manufactured.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The DX is still shipping and it has not been updated in two years. I am not counting on the K3 getting an update to read the new format.

I might have to buy a touch...

and a new Oberon cover for my touch.

(heads off to go shopping)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
As Wallcraft pointed out, Amazon has implied that the K3 won't get KF8 support. This would be consistent with things they've done before.

I went round and round in another forum with someone who insisted that it shouldn't be pointed out to a new Kindle purchaser that the K3 is a generation behind. I think KF8 support is the sort of thing a new purchaser should at least be aware of.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is getting harder to find the K3 on Amazons webpage. The WiFi has been out for a while. I would be surprised if there were that many K3 3G left. The K3 is not sold in BM stores. Most new Kindle users are going to have the K4 or the KT.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
apastuszak
Evangelist

If the K3 doesn't get KF8, I may be time to move to a reader with ePub support. What they're doing with the DX is a crime. I would love to get a DX just to read PDFs, if nothing else.

I have no issues with touch screens, so I could consider the Kindle Touch, but I do demand physical page turn buttons, and I want them in the bezel.

I really like the new Sony Readers, but I hate the layout of their page turn buttons.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a shipping product, but I suspect they're simply selling off existing stock. I doubt that any more K3s are being manufactured.
When the Kindle 3 came out, they stopped all advertisements for the Kindle 2. At least when the KT came out, they renamed the K3 the Kindle Keyboard and kept it in the official lineup.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
When the Kindle 3 came out, they stopped all advertisements for the Kindle 2. At least when the KT came out, they renamed the K3 the Kindle Keyboard and kept it in the official lineup.
Indeed.

Everything Amazon has done with the Kindle Keyboard suggests that its still a supported product.

The 3.3 update came out after the Fire/Touch were announced and added a significant new feature.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Except that the WiFi K3 has not returned. Which tells me that they are not making it any more and suggests that it is not a supported product.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #15
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
The Kindle Keyboard is still a currently shipping product. [...]
barely. Non-3g K3 is not available anymore.

K3 3G is still available, but the pricing is prohibitive.
cu andreas
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote