Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #1
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
Recommendations Wanted: Science/Medical Thrillers

I'm planning to go on a massive reading spree later in the month and want to fill my Kindle up ready.

I'm looking for science/medical based thrillers, although I'm not a fan of things set too far in the future. Authors I have previously enjoyed in the genre are Michael Crichton, Robin Cook and Ken McClure.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
I found Josh Bazell's Beat the Reaper a pleasant read.

Description from amazon.de (yes, they seem to copy from UK, so I hope it's okay to copy/paste it here.

Quote:
Amazon.co.uk
Publishers are given to attempts to whip up excitement about debut novels (it’s their job, after all), and often such fireworks splutter out all too quickly. But that’s not going to happen with Josh Bazell’s debut thriller Beat the Reaper, which is (it has to be said) quite as impressive as his publishers are trumpeting – in fact, if this book doesn’t take the crime and thriller world by storm, there's no justice. What marks the book out from the rest of an increasingly overcrowded field is its vibrant, glittering prose – streaked through with a mordant wit (highlighted by a series of pithy – and highly entertaining – footnotes; an unusual element in the thriller genre)

The plot is highly original. Peter Brown is a young Manhattan intern who is not all he seems to be. He has a past – and as any reader of crime novels knows – the past never stays buried for long. Peter has had an edgy run-in with a mugger and a more congenial elevator one-to-one with a female pharmaceutics rep. But his most significant encounter is to be with a new hospital patient, Nicholas LoBrutto – a man who knows the truth behind Peter’s artificially contrived façade: the young intern is, in fact, in the Witness Protection program, and he remains in the gunsights of some unpleasant New Jersey heavies. And things are about to get very hot for both Peter and LoBrutto. Josh Bazell, as Beat the Reaper, demonstrates, is the real deal, and the auguries for this debut are very good. If he can just sustain this level of invention and energy thoughout that difficult second novel… --Barry Forshaw
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that! It's been added to my to read list.

EDIT: Even better, just found I already downloaded a copy of it, will get to reading it straight away.

Last edited by Tome Keeper; 04-30-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
For Medical thrillers, you might try Tess Gerritson. They take place today.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
You really should consider the Sector General books by James White. They are "set too far in the future", but in a future envisioned in the 1960s, so not nearly as futuristic as one of today's futures.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 11:49 AM   #6
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I enjoy this genre as well.

Some I have read:
Season Of The Harvest by Michael R Hicks
Days’ End by Scott L Collins
Confinement by Gabriella Murray
Medical Error by Richard Mabry
Code Blue by Richard Mabry
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
Tome Keeper
Addict

Cassidym: I have read all her books but that's for the recommendation.

ardeegee and AbFabGab: Thanks, I'm off looking for them now. I'm glad some people know what I'm talking about, my local librarian just looked blank when I tried to explain :S

Last edited by Tome Keeper; 04-30-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #8
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Nancy Kress's Oaths and Miracles is available legally in an ebook format.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Have you tried the Literature Map site? You enter an author's name and hit return and a new page opens with that author's name in the center and other authors arrayed around him/her. The closer they are to your author, the more like him/her they are. Check it out here http://www.literature-map.com/
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
That site is awesome! Never heard of it before, but bookmarked already.

Works für music and movies as well, just surf to The Global Network of Dreams

or
for music http://www.gnoosic.com/
for books http://www.gnooks.com/
for movies http://www.gnovies.com/
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
Tome Keeper
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Have you tried the Literature Map site? You enter an author's name and hit return and a new page opens with that author's name in the center and other authors arrayed around him/her. The closer they are to your author, the more like him/her they are. Check it out here http://www.literature-map.com/
Fantastic! Thank you.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #12
aquabel
Book Lover
aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aquabel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I also highly recommend Tess Gerritsen.

There's a couple by Richard Preston as well, The Cobra Event and The Hot Zone. I really enjoyed both.

Also Patrick Lynch, ones called Carriers and Omega.
aquabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabel View Post
I also highly recommend Tess Gerritsen.
The Rizzoli & Isles series is a very good read. I've read most of them> I'm down to the last book to read. There is a tenth book due out in September.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Look for the books by Michael Palmer. Books about a secret society of Nurses who perform mercy killings, A doctor friend of the President called in to replace his physician who disappeared, etc.

If you have not read Kathy Reichs - a real forensics anthropologist- you are in for a treat. Her books are the basis for the "Bones" TV series - but the books are better.

One of my favorite authors is Lincoln Child. Try "Deep Storm" to start. A doctor is flown in to a secret underwater base to try and solve some mysterious deaths. He also joins with Doug Preston for a bunch of great books by Preston & Child. "Utopia" and "Ice Limit" are just a few of their science-based thrillers.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #15
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Rizzoli & Isles series is a very good read. I've read most of them> I'm down to the last book to read. There is a tenth book due out in September.
Count me in for another Tess Gerritsen recommendation! Those books a great.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote