Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer
hapax legomenon doesn't litterhapax legomenon doesn't litter

Device: ipad, Sony Reader PRS 505, Cybook 3
preparing images for Sony Reader ebook?

Hi, I'm preparing a free high quality erotica story anthology for Sony Reader format. (with creative commons license).

I'm new to ebooks, but have a basic understanding of what it's about. Also, a friend gave me his Sony Reader device, so I would like to make an ebook specifically for Sony Reader.

I understand about different page sizes on Sony reader and can adjust accordingly. What's the best format for creating content on the Sony reader: PDF/DOC/LRF?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to include images. I have jpeg illustrations for most of the stories in the anthology.

I see several possibilities:

1. MS Word/Office
2. PDF (via Open Office, Adobe Professional, etc)
3. html2lrf

(I should mention that the source content is in structured xml/xhtml).

I realize that I need to convert to 4 bit grayscale for the Sony Reader. But I was wondering,

what is a good dimensions in pixels for the image?
which method or format is best for laying out graphics.
Can you make images into hyperlinks with method #1 or 2
What steps can I do to make sure that the image is at the same place on a page (for example, if you change text size). My preference would be for images to be either on the top of the page or the very bottom.
If you embed an image within a paragraph, does the text run around the image. (what is that called?)

I've looked over the forum a bit and have seen the article about reading manga http://hightech.afmag.net/reading-ma...ve-review.html
and the related thread. but those are talking about scanned images, not about creating images specifically for the Sony Reader. Should I be aiming at creating a good pdf with grayscale images in the right size?

Any advice/suggestions/relevant threads? I realize that the best thing to do is to try it out. But can anyone get me started? (I promise to report back with what I discover).

Hapax Legomenon
(Not a dirty old man)
hapax legomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Welcome to MobileRead.

IMHO the best format for the Sony Reader is LRF. The two best tools to create LRF files are BookDesigner and libprs500. Both are available from links in the MobileRead Wiki Conversion page.

While RTF and TXT can be read by the Reader, they cannot display graphics. PDF is an interesting case. Some love it, some hate it. While designed as a print medium, it does not allow the fonts to change size on the Reader and the best PDFs are those designed for the Reader and not something formatted for letter or A4 paper.

Graphics are somewhat a hard case. There are mysteries of the LRF format that have yet to be cracked and implemented in the tools. Among them is drop caps and inline images. As it is now graphics are set between paragraphs . If there is enough room on the current page they are displayed, if not, they start their own page. You can force a page break before a graphic but that is about it that I know of. Only in a PDF could you get text next to a graphic.

Reducing the images to 4 shade b+w is performed in the Reader if it is a color image and there is a switch in BookDesigner that will convert color to b+w for you. The b+w files are slightly smaller than the full color ones.

I hope this helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Umm libprs500 supports both drop caps and inline images.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Umm libprs500 supports both drop caps and inline images.
I am corrected. I need to push the things I do with libprs500 a bit more.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Since the source is in xml/xhtml, you might be best off giving html2lrf a go. It may take less work to clean up your book that way for the conversion process. Html2lrf is quite good. It's part of the libprs500 package. There is a sticky for it here int he Reader Content section.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer

Thanks.

are you saying it's generally better/easier to let the sony program convert the images than to try to make optimized grayscale images of my own prior to doing conversions? is the desktop reader fairly accurate at conveying what images will look like?

Do creators usually specify font sizes and families, or do they just use the defaults?

My preference would be to use a program like the libprs500 toolset.
I'll put the rest of my questions at libprs500 thread.

Could you point me to a resource about what css works in html2lrf?

By the way I couldn't install BookDesigner. got an error message
RICHTX32.ocx is not installed."

Thanks hapax legomenon
Old 07-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
look at the demo html file in the html2lrf thread.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapax legomenon View Post
By the way I couldn't install BookDesigner. got an error message RICHTX32.ocx is not installed."

Thanks hapax legomenon
To get RICHTX32.OCX....

1. download it from http://www.ascentive.com/support/new...b/RICHTX32.OCX
2. Put it in windows\system32\
3. Using your mouse, click on the "Start" button and then click on "Run".
4. # According to your Operating System, type the following command to register this library file:
Windows NT or 2000: regsvr32 \WINNT\system32\RICHTX32.OCX
Windows XP: regsvr32 \windows\system32\RICHTX32.OCX
5. You should see a message saying "DllRegisterServer ... succeeded"
Old 07-31-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I am corrected. I need to push the things I do with libprs500 a bit more.
BD supports in-line images too - just check the "in-line" box on the image properties dialog.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But html2lrf supports simple tables and right justified text.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:57 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes - table support would be a nice addition to BD. I know it's on vvv's "to do" list.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #12
hapax legomenon
Erotica Writer

book designer does not install

gave this message: "RICHTX32.OCX is not an executable file and no registration helper is registered for this file type."

I'm running as admin when running this command.

Any ideas what to do? (I'm on XP)

C:\WINDOWS\system32>regsvr32 RICHTX32.OCX

C:\WINDOWS\system32>dir RICHT*
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 48D1-D269

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

07/30/2007 09:35 PM 165,888 RICHTX32.OCX
1 File(s) 165,888 bytes
0 Dir(s) 4,812,918,784 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\system32>regsvr32 RICHTX32.OCX

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
Old 08-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Try a reinstall since you've now registered the OCX file.