Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #31
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you get yourself on the email list for readiris or serif, versions of paid ocr programs are offered at what seem to me reasonable prices.

As has been noted, there are no free alternatives that do 1/10 of what the commercial ones do. This may be because there is real money in doing document conversion, so no one is willing to do for free what customers are willing to pay for. Also support for these programs must be a headache. At best OCR produces a fair number of errors in the output unless the input is perfect and simple. The complaints about this may be a real deterrent to a software author.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
If you get yourself on the email list for readiris or serif, versions of paid ocr programs are offered at what seem to me reasonable prices.

As has been noted, there are no free alternatives that do 1/10 of what the commercial ones do. This may be because there is real money in doing document conversion, so no one is willing to do for free what customers are willing to pay for. Also support for these programs must be a headache. At best OCR produces a fair number of errors in the output unless the input is perfect and simple. The complaints about this may be a real deterrent to a software author.
mrmikel:

Not a lot of money. All of the better scan houses I know are being run out of business by the super-cheapie, low-quality places, (which shall remain nameless). Cheap, in this day and age (or better yet, FREE FREE FREE!!!) is the mantra.

It's a shame, because trust me: we get a LOT of scanned/OCR in here, and the freebs or cheaps really suck. I just had to quote a guy nearly a thou, to clean up and format three books, because HE scanned them (to save Money, of course!!!). Found this "wonderful machine" that just "made my books into Word files." Uh, yeah. Replete with manually-retained running headers and a BAJILLION broken paragraphs. I'm hoping that Tox's ePUBTools will help us survive it. Those books would have been hundreds--not a thou--if we'd gotten Abby-output instead.

The downside of the digital age is manifest; everyone thinks that typing makes them authors; that using Word makes them layout and eBook-conversion experts; that being able to put a PDF into a freebie website to convert into Word makes them Scanning/OCR experts. Oh, and having written 10 reviews on Amazon makes one a qualified Book Editor.

But, bygod, it's FREE FREE FREE!!!!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
- Evernoted

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-13-2014 at 06:51 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
- Evernoted
Wellll....

Gosh, THANKS!!! That's all I know to say to that. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #35
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It's possible to get more information from tesseract by specifying HTML output (hOCR) rather than straight text. Tesseract is great, but requires a fair bit of work from the user to tune it properly. It's definitely not a point'n'grunt solution.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #36
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A lot of people don't know what they don't know, I guess. I am fortunate my customers mostly know when to quit.

For the rest I give them an option to mess with it themselves. If they are lucky, maybe they save a buck or two. If not, I tell I have to not only figure what was wrong in the first place, but repair their mess as well. As you noted, this increases the cost massively. I suggest I look forward to them paying for a trip to Tahiti for me.

You have the disadvantage of trying to compete with free, free, free. Just a demonstration that on the internet nobody knows you're a &^*&^&*^&.

A friend of mine sent me a reminder:

We offer three kinds of work, good, cheap, quick. You can only have two at once.

A cheap, good job will not be quick.
A quick, good job will not be cheap.
A cheap, quick job will not be good.

I was thinking on the conversion end of document scanning for big companies so they can get rid of paper altogether.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #37
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post

I was thinking on the conversion end of document scanning for big companies so they can get rid of paper altogether.
They can get rid of paper without the need for scan to epub/mobi conversion though, by reading OCR-ed A4/letter sized pdfs on DPT-S1 (there will be a lot cheaper 13" e-ink readers sooner or later) or some good 10" e-ink/lcd tablet in landscape or 12" tablet/netbook if they don't mind the weight.

Last edited by markom; 09-14-2014 at 08:09 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #38
mrmikel
Color me gone

Right on. It was the conversion end I was thinking of. PDFs are a much better choice for that sort of thing since you can maintain the original pretty much as you got it while doing enough of a text conversion for indexing.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #39
klmmc13
formatting student
klmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseklmmc13 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: several models of Kindle; Several Android tablets & 3 Android phones.
Well Gentlepersons, I'll be able soon to follow your recommendations and spare my pocketbook at the same time. Come to find out that my sister had acquired a copy of AAbby finereader and no longer uses it, and will be passing it along to me.

Thank you all for your advice and assistance.
Kathy the MamaDragon
klmmc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #40
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
I didn't attempt to wade through all the previous noise in this thread but this is how I have converted pdf files to epubs.

I use PDFill (a free Windows program) to covert the PDF file to images (usually at 600 dpi).

I then run the images through ScanTailor to make the pages uniform, in particular I want all the headings and/or page numbers the same distance from the top and bottom edges. Where there are no headings/page numbers, I want make sure there is equivalent blank space.

I then use XNView to trim the headings and/or page numbers.

Then I run the OCR program on the images. I use Abby sprint that came with my scanner.

This works well and goes fairly quickly. I've used this on several PDF files I've downloaded from the Internet Archive.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote