Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #616
KindleTatsch
KindleTatsch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I wonder, since it seems that some users here are using Duokan for Kindle Touch, if its possible to change the menu language to English?
KindleTatsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #617
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=611
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #618
luutrupvc
luutrupvc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
I installed duokan 2012 on my kindle 3. Work good. Can you guide to me how to use playlist of audio player. Sorry. my english. wait your reply. Thanks
luutrupvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #619
theusualuser
Enthusiast
theusualuser doesn't littertheusualuser doesn't litter

Device: none
Has anyone been able to successfully get this on Kindle 3.3 firmware? From what I've read, the results are mixed and seem to be rather complicated. If anyone has managed it, I would love a very simple (explain like I'm 5 years old) step-by-step instructions on how to do it. I had Duokan on my kindle a long time ago, but ended up getting rid of it. I'd like to try Duokan lite (or 2012 or whatever name they're calling it) but I can't seem to get things to work so that my "update your kindle" option isn't ghosted out. Can anyone help an idiot?
theusualuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:41 PM   #620
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualuser View Post
my "update your kindle" option isn't ghosted out.
if you are using Niluje's jailbreak, adding an item to whitelist may help.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #621
theusualuser
Enthusiast

I've tried both jailbreak options, and uninstalled them both.

So, as I understand it, this is the process.

1. Jailbreak the kindle (is this necessary?)

2. Uninstall the jailbreak

3. Download Duokan from a website where I can't understand anything that's going on because it's all in Chinese.

4. Drag and drop all the extracted folders and files onto the Kindle.

5. Menu>Settings>Menu>Update (this is always ghosted out unless remove the .bin files from the folders they're in, and in that case the install fails).

6. ???

7. Have an awesome operating system on your Kindle.

So, as you can see, I don't really know what I'm doing.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #622
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. backup your all files in your Kindle
  2. Reset to factory default (menu>setings>menu>reset to factory defaults)
  3. ( uninstall the jailbreak ?? )
  4. copy DK_System folder and appropriate update file
  5. menu>settings>menu>update
after the installation of DuoKan you can jailbreak again.

You should use the update files with size:131kb (not 2kb)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DuoKan install.png
Views:	298
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	89299

Last edited by thomass; 07-17-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 AM   #623
theusualuser
Enthusiast

Thank you for the help. I know this is asking a lot, but could you give me a screenshot of what the files on the kindle should look like before I do the menu>settings>menu>update? I think that maybe I'm not putting the files on the kindle correctly. I know that they need to be on the root folder of the kindle, but do I just drag and drop them onto there, or do some of the bin files need to be put on there without being inside the folder that they're in when I extract them? Does that make any sense? Anyway, if you can provide a screenshot of what it should look like you'll be my hero. If not, I'll try to get some time away from the kids today and upload a pic of what I've been doing. Thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #624
pablo1978
pablo1978 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'm using Doukan lite w/ my kindle 5, that means I'm using it in chinese. I'm wondering if any can guide my in changing the margins un epub (I made it in pdf's but I would like to change the defaults margin for epub as they books shown to close to the border of my kindle)
Best,
pablo1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #625
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
or do some of the bin files need to be put on there without being inside the folder that they're in when I extract them?
That is exactly the case for the update files.

unfortunately I don't have a K3 nearby, hence uploading a screenshot could not possible for me.

you should copy
  • DK_System folder as a whole
  • and 3 update files: update_duokan_0b00a.bin, update_duokan_0b006.bin and update_duokan_0b008.bin
to the root folder of the kindle
Old 07-18-2012, 09:06 AM   #626
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1978 View Post
I'm using Doukan lite w/ my kindle 5, that means I'm using it in chinese. I'm wondering if any can guide my in ...
I uploaded a translated version of the guide when they released the first version for touch: here. may help.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #627
theusualuser
Enthusiast

Thank you SO much. I did it just like you explained and it didn't work the first time. I then decided to try an older version of Duokan 2012 and that time it actually worked. I updated it via wifi (the download kept failing, but after about the 15th time it worked) and now it's all set. Looks wonderful. Again, thanks thomass, you're my hero!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #628
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
I then decided to try an older version of Duokan 2012 and that time it actually worked.
Could you share which one of the older versions worked for you?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #629
javimixet
javimixet began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 keyboard
kindle os don't boot after installing duokan 2012

I can switch to it from started duokan, and use it normally, but I can't do it from the chosing screen on restart (pressing "z"). It shows the loading bar and gets frozen when a little bit (always the same size) is full. Then I have to reset the device pressing 15 seconds the power button.

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thanks.
javimixet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #630
theusualuser
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Could you share which one of the older versions worked for you?
Well, i think the problem was that I had found the latest version of duokan (something like 7-13) somewhere and was trying with that. It turns out that you need to use the version currently on en.duokan.com, which I think is from January (1-14) http://en.duokan.com/?page_id=41 . So after I used that one, then everything worked like it was supposed to and I was able to update over wireless to the latest 7-13 version that's floating around.

Again, thanks for confirming that all three .bin files needed to be placed directly in the root directory of the Kindle. Combine that with making sure that people use the 1-14 version on Kindle 3.3 firmware, and I think we've got a working solution to install Duokan 2012.

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf