Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
iPad newbie

being kindled for half a year now, I just bought iPad. This is. due the fact of poor support of PDF on kindle (no reflow) and because they started to sell it directly in Poland. For me it is important that if something will happen to it I will take it to nearest store instead of sending to US.

I read somewhere opinion of iPad stated "I would like to buy it,, but they sell it for 500€ i EU instead of equal value of 500$". Just to say that it is nothing unreasonable for me - every electronic device sold in EU is covered by 2 years warranty by the law of EU, in US for 500$ you got iPad with 1 year warranty and you can buy the additional year of warranty for another 99$.

OK, I am expłoring the new gadget. Web browsing is awesome, email any time, and I am surprised how much interesting podcasts is serwed on iTunes. However I am looking now for an app to read PDF's. I think that Goodreader could be the best choice, what do you think?
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
devastat
devastat began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Goodreader is a great app for many things, but for _just_ reading pdf files, i prefer iBooks.
devastat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
That page-trimming feature alone makes me use goodreader for PDFs. It has tons of other features too, eg i really like goodreader for wifi transfers. But iBooks is so much fun I always look for ePub versions of novels.

Last edited by Mirrorlike; 12-10-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Goodreader is an excellent PDF reader. Well worth buying.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
pizda
Enthusiast

I am exploring BlueFire features, found it yesterday through this forum, looks nice. iBooks is fine for literature only, I think. Technical books tend to require more visual area to be readable, tables, figures, etc. Actualy I do not like readin PDF on iBook because it does not cut off the margins to use the most of screen space for text.

Changing topic, I am disappointed with the keybard. I saw beautiful videos on YouTube demostrating how easy it is to type an email or write a note using the big virtual keyboard. Honestly I cannot type on it. I am average typist, typing 10 fingers, without any "alterantive fingering" that is , I type like they teach it. However on iPad I cannot touch an key before pressing it, that is a hassle for me. On regular keyboard I type ~60 wpm, on iPad ~15 wpm. Yeah just wrote this short reply and ages passed by Anyway at lest it is good for reading A4 PDF which was the reason of buying.

Just wonder, have you gained better 10 finger writqing skills over time? Should I try practise?
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
mscott9985
Member Retired
mscott9985 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I like iBooks the best especially since it includes a dictionary feature. I also admit that I like the way the pages turn!
mscott9985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IBooks is perfect for PDFs. The pinch-zoom let's me zero in on graphics, which keep a sharp resolution when magnified. And you get bright clear colors. It is free, so you have nothing to lose by trying it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
mscott9985
Member Retired
mscott9985 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Colors!! Yup, that's another reason why I love iBooks!
mscott9985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizda View Post
I am exploring BlueFire features, found it yesterday through this forum, looks nice. iBooks is fine for literature only, I think. Technical books tend to require more visual area to be readable, tables, figures, etc. Actualy I do not like readin PDF on iBook because it does not cut off the margins to use the most of screen space for text.

Changing topic, I am disappointed with the keybard. I saw beautiful videos on YouTube demostrating how easy it is to type an email or write a note using the big virtual keyboard. Honestly I cannot type on it. I am average typist, typing 10 fingers, without any "alterantive fingering" that is , I type like they teach it. However on iPad I cannot touch an key before pressing it, that is a hassle for me. On regular keyboard I type ~60 wpm, on iPad ~15 wpm. Yeah just wrote this short reply and ages passed by Anyway at lest it is good for reading A4 PDF which was the reason of buying.

Just wonder, have you gained better 10 finger writqing skills over time? Should I try practise?
You might want to try this app for the Ipad that allows one to dictate instead of using a keyboard. It can change talk to type as quickly as one can speak. Check it out and I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to how good it works..
BTW, this app is for free and for someone who does not like to type or cannot type fast,
this eliminates all typing.

http://www.dragonmobileapps.com/

Last edited by moosejons_dad; 12-12-2010 at 07:55 PM.
moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizda View Post
Yeah i was pretty bad at first, now I'm up to 80% of my desktop speed.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #11
devastat
devastat began at the beginning.

Device: Reader
Im still quite bad writing with my iPad, even I've had it for 5 months..still love the device tho

But then again, I haven't been really writing with it much yet so, that is probably the reason of my slow progress.
devastat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
pizda
Enthusiast

Yea, for short passages I can manage now ohovering in the air with my fingers and type quite decent speed. I do not get it however how to effectively correct errors - I can only delete whole word and type it again correctly but I wish to put the cursor in the midle of the word and correct the nisspeling in place. You see I am lazy now to correct minor spelling ... its little frustrating.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
pizda
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejons_dad View Post
You might want to try this app for the Ipad that allows one to dictate instead of using a keyboard. It can change talk to type as quickly as one can speak. Check it out and I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to how good it works..
BTW, this app is for free and for someone who does not like to type or cannot type fast,
this eliminates all typing.

Thats not funny I cannot find it on iTunes. I went also through www, clicked on download via iTunes and an error message was displayed. Anyone tried to download it? Maybe its the country region restriction?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
moosejons_dad
Zealot
moosejons_dad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Readers PRS-500 exchanged by Sony for PRS-600, PRS-505,IPAD3,mini
Sorry you could not find the dragon app. Just click this app and you should be able to email it to yourself.

moosejons_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Goodreader is my choice for reading pdf's on my iPad, love the integration with dropbox

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote