Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
RobLikesBrunch
RobLikesBrunch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Create a table of contents?

Hey,

I downloaded some of Ayn Rand's stuff all of the files are in the .txt format.

Problem is that she writes 1000+ page books, and I'd like to create a table of contents so getting around is easier.

Is there any tool that would allow me to convert the .txt into a .mobi file with a table of contents (obviously I'd have to create the links myself, but that's okay)?

Thanks.
RobLikesBrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLikesBrunch View Post
Hey,

I downloaded some of Ayn Rand's stuff all of the files are in the .txt format.

Problem is that she writes 1000+ page books, and I'd like to create a table of contents so getting around is easier.

Is there any tool that would allow me to convert the .txt into a .mobi file with a table of contents (obviously I'd have to create the links myself, but that's okay)?

Thanks.
Since these are not legal eBooks, you won't be getting any help here with them. And because they are text, you will lose any and all formatting. So basically, the best thing to do with them is to delete them and purchase legal copies if any exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Unfortunately, no legal copies of Ayn Rand's books seem to exist in e-format.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
Unfortunately, no legal copies of Ayn Rand's books seem to exist in e-format.
"Anthem" is available. Thru Feedbooks
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre will allow you to create a table of contents from a (properly formatted) txt file.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
"Anthem" is available. Thru Feedbooks
My bad. I always forget about "Anthem." Somehow I just don't associate it with her when I'm thinking of Ayn Rand books, though obviously I should.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
RobLikesBrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since these are not legal eBooks, you won't be getting any help here with them. And because they are text, you will lose any and all formatting. So basically, the best thing to do with them is to delete them and purchase legal copies if any exist.

One of them is legal, Anthem. You're correct in that I did download The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged illegally, but I already own copies and I just wanted to avoid lugging massive novels with me. While I do realize that it's still illegal, I completely disagree with the law...I own a copy of the intellectual work, I should be able to own it in any format that I'd like. So here's my protest!

Thank you everyone else for actually assisting me, rather than assuming the worst.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
One of them is legal, Anthem. You're correct in that I did download The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged illegally, but I already own copies and I just wanted to avoid lugging massive novels with me. While I do realize that it's still illegal, I completely disagree with the law...I own a copy of the intellectual work, I should be able to own it in any format that I'd like. So here's my protest!

Thank you everyone else for actually assisting me, rather than assuming the worst.
If you had previously purchased a movie on VHS and now want the same movie on DVD, you should be allowed to just get it on DVD for free?

If you've purchased an LP and now want it on CD, the RIAA should just give you the CD for free?

If you purchased the hardcover of a book, you should be given the paperback when it's released?

If you purchased the Sony Playstation 3 version of a game and now want the Xbox 360 version, you should give given that for free?

See, your arguments do not cut it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
RobLikesBrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you had previously purchased a movie on VHS and now want the same movie on DVD, you should be allowed to just get it on DVD for free?

If you've purchased an LP and now want it on CD, the RIAA should just give you the CD for free?

If you purchased the hardcover of a book, you should be given the paperback when it's released?

If you purchased the Sony Playstation 3 version of a game and now want the Xbox 360 version, you should give given that for free?

See, your arguments do not cut it.
Everything that you're talking about implies a physical medium. I already bought the "content" of a book, and as digital copies do not cost anything to distribute, I should be able to attain it free of charge.

Additionally, the ebook I downloaded isn't being sold anywhere, and it's likely that someone simply typed up the novel. They were giving away their work for free (they people who typed up the novel), so the only part left that I would be obligated to purchase would be the content of the book....which I have already done.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If there is any justice at all, this will NOT turn into another discussion like last summer..........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #11
Knurd
Knurd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
I believe it's called fair use

Quote:
Everything that you're talking about implies a physical medium. I already bought the "content" of a book, and as digital copies do not cost anything to distribute, I should be able to attain it free of charge.

Additionally, the ebook I downloaded isn't being sold anywhere, and it's likely that someone simply typed up the novel. They were giving away their work for free (they people who typed up the novel), so the only part left that I would be obligated to purchase would be the content of the book....which I have already done.
I am no lawyer but I have paid careful attention for quite a while to the use of copyrighted material

If you buy a cd, you can make a copy for personal use. He bought the book, he CAN copy it for personal use. If I try to sell that, it a violation. otherwise it is fair use if it is for my personal use.
Knurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
Knurd
Knurd began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2
btw

I don't have a Kindle2 but would love to win one.
Knurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knurd View Post
I am no lawyer but I have paid careful attention for quite a while to the use of copyrighted material

If you buy a cd, you can make a copy for personal use. He bought the book, he CAN copy it for personal use. If I try to sell that, it a violation. otherwise it is fair use if it is for my personal use.
Ah -- but he didn't make the copy. Someone else did and whether or not he paid for the copy, it's not legal for it to be distributed.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Ah -- but he didn't make the copy. Someone else did and whether or not he paid for the copy, it's not legal for it to be distributed.
But you cannot un-distribute it so if it is legal to have the copy the everything is OK.

If people asks a technical question I do not see why you should guess why they ask it before you answer. A lot of people have asked about converting lit file to html and I am pretty sure that most files they ask about are problematic but I do not see that as a reason not to answer a technical question.

This constant fear displayed in these comments and the constant pointing out of possible legal problems is kind of annoying on thsi forum and kind of destroys the positive feeling a bit.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote