Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #16
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It was almost the first response. I resisted as long as I could.
Are you guys talking in code or something? Anything wrong in my post?
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Anything wrong in my post?
No, no. Nobody's done anything wrong. I just can't hear the word "hoopla" without immediately thinking of "Knee Deep in the Hoopla." A Jefferson Starship (or just Starship, I forget) song from the mid-80s.

I just figured it was on the tip of more brain-tongues than it evidently was.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:25 PM   #18
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
It was almost the first response. I resisted as long as I could.
I was afraid someone would then ask who rode the wrecking ball into our guitars, and then we would get Miley Cyrus pictures.

You can't be too careful.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #19
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
No, no. Nobody's done anything wrong. I just can't hear the word "hoopla" without immediately thinking of "Knee Deep in the Hoopla." A Jefferson Starship (or just Starship, I forget) song from the mid-80s.

I just figured it was on the tip of more brain-tongues than it evidently was.
Ah

Not familiar with that one.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And before anyone can internet slap me for my mistake, It was an album title, not a song title (though the phrase was used in "We Built This City").

We now return you to your regularly scheduled ebook hoopla.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #21
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
No, no. Nobody's done anything wrong.
Except for me of course. I answered your post as a real question - I take everything literally. It did seem oddly worded, but I was coming back to the thread to post that info anyway. Thanks for not laughing at me. Out loud anyway.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Except for me of course. I answered your post as a real question - I take everything literally. It did seem oddly worded, but I was coming back to the thread to post that info anyway. Thanks for not laughing at me. Out loud anyway.
It was helpful info whether I was really asking for it or not.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainboy View Post
Yes, collections vary by library. Unlike OverDrive and 3M libraries pay per borrow with hoopla.

Btw, I believe hoopla added ebooks late last year. See:
http://www.infodocket.com/2015/05/14...ilable-online/

g
I don't think so. I asked last week and was told Hoopla would be adding ebooks soon. They did not offer ebooks at the time.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
It looks like Hoopla needs to do some work on their metadata. Their catalog has books by Robert Heinlen and Frederik Phol.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #25
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hoopla continues to slowly grow its catalog. They recently added e-books from horror/weird publisher ChiZine and today announced the availability of DC Comics.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:35 PM   #26
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
I just looked at hoopla, and if I understand correctly, it has to be supported by a library, correct? If so, it appears that none of the systems for which I have cards support it - couldn't find SELCO (which is a consortium in southern MN), Northfield, Dakota County, St. Paul, or Rochester... I dropped the Philadelphia library 'cause it wasn't worth $35. There were almost NO books I could ONLY find there as opposed to the other library systems - I wasn't finding anywhere near $35/year worth of books only they had.
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 AM   #27
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
I just looked at hoopla, and if I understand correctly, it has to be supported by a library, correct?
Yes. Their registration page lists about 800 libraries that support Hoopla, but I suspect that many are small-town libraries belonging to a consortium. Not all of these support e-book borrowing.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:01 AM   #28
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
Hm... I've got a moderate city like St. Paul, smaller places like Rochester MN, and really small towns that are in the SELCO consortium and nobody comes up in their list. We must not be players yet here in the north midwest...
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:37 PM   #29
Dan S
Dan S began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
I tried out the Hoopla service for the first time a few days ago, as an avid digital comic reader I was excited at the thought of getting to check out a few graphic novels each month for free.

While the app has potential for its comics section, I immediately ran into quite a few user interface issues that I was really surprised they let happen.

They were all pretty basic things that do not seem like a big technical challenge to include, making me wonder if they did not bother getting any comics reading folks to test out the functionality even briefly before the initial release. Examples include:

1-No indication of what page you are on, no indication of how many pages still to be read of the title you are reading.

2-No navigation slider. If you first page through a title to browse it, when the time comes to actually read it you have to literally page backwards through every page one at a time, to get back to the beginning (in my case this was a 128 page graphic novel so I got to do 128 separate swipes to get back to page 1).

3-Always displays the top part of screen, time of day, battery level, etc. when reading, does not go away in full screen view, very distracting when reading.

4-You can check out 4 titles per month (from my library, some may offer more), fair enough since those rules are made by the library. However, what is silly is that you are also restricted to 3 check outs per day, so you have to come back a day later to check out the 4th title you have found you want.

This restriction seems arbitrary and a waste of the user's time. We are allowed get the 4th title the very next day and then we are done for the month, so why not just let us get all 4 on the same day as the other 3 titles we are allowed for the month? What does this extra restriction really accomplish?

5-When browsing titles to decide what to check out, there is no multi-page “preview” of the interior artwork, on the book's browse page, like you see on Kindle, Comixology, etc.

The only way to see any interior art of a title is to actually check the title out. If you then see that you do not like the art and decide it is not a comic you want to read, too bad, you have just used up 1 of your 4 monthly checkouts just to see even a couple of pages of the art. That's crazy.

6-When browsing titles to checkout, there no hierarchical grouping of issues within a title (like the comixology app does), making the browse list of titles one huge "root level" list, extremely long and unwieldy (and not even sorted by title or issue number, so its literally a huge random list).

7-Available issues within a series are often incomplete. For example, vols. 2 and 3 of Clive Barker's “Hellraiser: Dark Watch” title are available, but not vol. 1. Series like these have a lot of continuity, so no one is going to want to start in the middle. Why offer 2 and 3 but not 1?

Not to rant but I just don't understand how this stuff happens in a mainstream, professional company. None of these issues seem like a big deal to address on a technical level (other reading apps all have these missing features and have had so from the start), and any comic-reading tester would have quickly brought up these issues to the product manager right away during the most basic of testing.

In case it helps, I did mail this list to the company and they did email back they would keep my feedback in mind.

Thanks!
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote