Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #16
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I stand no realistic chance of being able to read even a significant fraction of the eBooks I've bought within my lifetime. I too am continuing to buy more books than I read, despite having a list of unread books that numbers in the thousands.
This for me too. Just the free books I've been picking up each month from the Deals section here lately puts me even deeper in the "never ever able to read it all" category.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
My "Unread" library in Calibre currently has 1318 books in it. A few hundred of those were potentially-interesting freebies, which I don't feel any particular compulsion to finish (although I'm not discounting them as I may well read some of them), the rest are bought-and-paid-for books that I really should read at some point.

Then there are a few hundred (exact count unknown) paper books still lying around unread...

I'm under no illusion that I'll manage to read everything - even if I didn't buy new books to read, which is a pretty impossible thing to do as people for some reason keep releasing new books I want to read.

I do, however, want to get to a point where I read more than buy, so that the TBR list will start decreasing this year (by however much, even if it's just by ten books overall!) instead of increasing further. And I'll do my absolute best to stay away from new "this looks like something I might maybe be interested in some day" purchases/downloads and only acquire new books I have every intention to read.
I got over freebies (a waste of effort and a nuisance for the unreadable) a long time ago; otherwise, this is me, too. So far this year, I'm down one book net on my TBR, but I plan to pick up the pace. I hope by keeping a record of what I buy, I can restrain myself better. This has been a learning month. Ideally, I'd like to have a consistent TBR of about a hundred books, which would give me plenty of choice but would still seem readable in the reasonably near future.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, though. The expense has been trivial in the grand scheme and storage issues are non-existent. I compare that to my perfume collection, for example, where I also own far more than I can consume in my lifetime, purchased at quite some expense, difficult to store, and prone to deterioration (also a consideration with ebooks, if you don't stay on top of things).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #18
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
I stand no realistic chance of being able to read even a significant fraction of the eBooks I've bought within my lifetime. I too am continuing to buy more books than I read, despite having a list of unread books that numbers in the thousands.

I do everything this way: the same, the same, the same, something different. (don't know what that is called) I do this with food, TV, hobbies, and esp books. I will read romance, romance, romance, biography, biography, biography, etc. Except it isn't just 3. I have been eating the same thing for dinner for close to 5 years (Lean Cuisine Pizza). Pretty soon, I won't be able to look at another one, and will go to something else. I guess I don't do very well with a lot of options. That is why I hope putting just 80 books on my kindle will help. There is a wide variety on there (political, nonfiction, romance, mysteries, thrillers), but it is better than looking at Calibre, which although I have virtual libraries, is just overwhelming at times. I had no problem going through 2000 books yesterday, but if I were looking for ONE book, I would be lost.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #19
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST-One View Post
Thank god, I'm not alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
This for me too. Just the free books I've been picking up each month from the Deals section here lately puts me even deeper in the "never ever able to read it all" category.
^ These, a million times over.

I believe that the most depressing thought I could ever have, is thinking that there is a possibility of completing my TBR list in my lifetime.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #20
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I treat ebooks like I do groceries: I buy them for a period of time in advance in order to "save money" or follow a carefully laid out plan, then I end up ordering pizza from the delivery service.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #21
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I stopped Visiting The "Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? " thread because every time I did I would add more books to my ever increasing TBR list.

I am trying to get through the books I already have but there is no end in sight.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:08 PM   #22
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
My public library and Project Gutenberg have thousands and thousands of books I'll never get to, I'm not any more bothered that I probably won't finish all the ebooks I've collected.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #23
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
My public library and Project Gutenberg have thousands and thousands of books I'll never get to, I'm not any more bothered that I probably won't finish all the ebooks I've collected.
Libraries are different. I feel guilty buying more books when I have a large bunch I've already paid $3 to $8 dollars for. I've some free classics I'll probably never get around to but since I didn't pay for them it doesn't bother me that I'll probably never read them.

I've been putting a lot of books on my wishlist instead of buying them. I'm only buying the ones I'm planning on reading right away or that are too good a bargain to miss. A lot of the ones on my wishlist drop in price and those emails from ereaderiq are slowing my progress on getting through my TBR list. What hurts is when an author drops the price on a whole bunch of their books all at the same time. To buy or not to buy? If I like an author I really do like to have all of their books.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Um, didn't this thread used to be called Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread?

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #25
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Um, didn't this thread used to be called Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread?

I'm not sure, I don't need any support
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #26
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Have a list of approximatly 200 books Iwant to read but don't own a copy of any of them. 50/50 chance that I will actually buy a copy of them, but only a twenty percent chance of that. I am attempting to hold down my purchases of books.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I'm not sure, I don't need any support
Yes, I see :
Quote:
Hello, I'm Terisa and I'm an ebook addict too (yes, free books don't count). I have over 2200 ebooks without reading (around 400 paid ebooks). But I keep on buying them (last time on Thursday) and I have a loooong buying list.

I'm an addict and I don't want a cure
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #28
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I personally don't worry about my TBR list. I have a bunch of books in Calibre, and once I finish one I pick another one. I don't know how many books there are in there to be read, neither do I care - every now and then I add some, so the list doesn't run down too low, that's as far as I go.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:05 PM   #29
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
This is me. I use to get anxious about all the paper and e-books I have that I haven't started. Between books bought online, books bought used and books borrowed from the library, I realized that there is just no way I'm going to read every book in my TBR list. Now, I just buy books without worrying about when or if I'll read them. Getting them on sale or used helps because then I don't feel like I've spent a ton of money on books that I might not read.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #30
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I treat ebooks like I do groceries: I buy them for a period of time in advance in order to "save money" or follow a carefully laid out plan, then I end up ordering pizza from the delivery service.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote