Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #1
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Night time reading

I've always looked down on colour/LCD ereaders as inferior to eInk screens for night time reading due to the bright screens. The white text on black background has always been awful, too.

However, for the Vox, I found a setting in the reader app that I could turn down the brightness when reading to the minimum (you have to uncheck the "use system brightness" checkbox first) and found it to be very close to the contrast and readability of an eInk screen.

Needless to say, have a self-lighting screen eliminates the nuisance of a reading lamp clipped to the edge of the device...
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox
Tried it last night on the dark with my girlfriend next to me and she said it wasn't to bright at all, i turn on the night reading mode and turn down the brightness. Gonna be great for reading at night on planes to.
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just FYI: For those who find an Android device too bright for reading in dark places, there are several good apps available to decrease screen brightness lower than the device allows. I use Screen Filter v. 1.2 with great results on my Android phone.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Night time reading without the clip on light is one of the reasons I purchased the Vox.

jswinden, thanks for the suggestion. Tony VE6MVP
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
Night time reading without the clip on light is one of the reasons I purchased the Vox.

jswinden, thanks for the suggestion. Tony VE6MVP
You are welcome. Jack W5JCK
http://www.w5jck.com
Old 10-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Try the Reader's brightness settings before installing a potentially unnecessary app. Note that the Reader's super low brightness setting only applies to the reader itself - the rest of the system remains brighter, although the auto-brightness does a good job at adjusting to ambient light levels.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote