Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
wintertrader
wintertrader began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle3
Talking Is it worth to get the new Kindle 3 cover with light ?

Hi I was just wondering if it's worth paying 60 $ for the new Kindle cover with light.
It is expensive almost half the price of the Kindle.

I finally jumped on the Kindle wagon with this new model and ordered the simple cover , but I might change my mind.

Would a nightstand lamp do the job for reading in bed ?

Thanks

Last edited by wintertrader; 08-02-2010 at 11:07 AM.
wintertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
If you are only going to read in bed (where additional lighting is required), then most definitely your bedside light will suffice.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I use a lamp on my nightstand and it works just fine. Personally I went with the basic cover.

I've never been one for booklights (with pbooks or eInk), but if I was I think the new K cover looks like it'd be a good choice. Of course we won't know for sure until folks start getting/using them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
wintertrader
wintertrader began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle3
so where would people actually use that light ?

If you have a lamp next to you, you don't really need that , right ?
wintertrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I chose the cover with the light. I usually read before bed, and sleep on the left side with the light on the left bedside table. It leaves a shadow on the right side of my Kindle. This causes me more eye strain than anything I have experienced with my iPad, which is now my reader of choice, especially at night. I'm hoping that the lighted cover will help with that eye strain and if I start reading on my Kindle, I can keep reading on it.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintertrader View Post
so where would people actually use that light ?

If you have a lamp next to you, you don't really need that , right ?
My wife would kill me if I turned the bedside light on and started reading at night.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
It was worth it to me. I use a booklight sometimes when I'm reading late and my husband is asleep or when I'm camping. It's nice to have it right there and not have to replace the batteries.

You might get more opinions on the subject on the Kindle section of the forum.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I love my headlamp. It works great on planes, in tents, and when power is lost.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
My wife would kill me if I turned the bedside light on and started reading at night.
Reading light is definitely better for marriage
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
With the money I saved choosing WiFi only, I bought the (steel blue) cover with the slide out lamp. I can see its use on bus rides, in quiet corners, and on the balcony after dark. And, hey, it's cool.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... if it's worth paying 60 $ for the new Kindle cover with light ...

Decent cover wil cost thirty bucks. Good quality LED lamps - another 20-25.

So retail price-wise, it's "right there."

If you sleep alone, then you might not need it, as a nightlite on your headboard will suffice.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I have to say that I though I would only need my book light at night in bed, but I've also found it helpful in the car at night. I do still have my iPhone in a pinch, but the e-Ink is a better experience.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
It's worth getting it but not at that price. I have one for my prs-300 and it's really handy for reading in bed and in low lighting conditions. Like in the car after dark, in the cinema while the adverts are showing etc.

I bought an official Sony case with the light for £15. About half the store price on eBay. Will have to try and get it cheaper from other sources before I bite the bullet.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
How is this news?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #15
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I use a light often. I take it with me when I take the kiddos to the movies and sit in the back and read while they watch "How to Train Your Dragon" for the sixth time... it works for me and I have never been asked to turn the light off
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote